Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #21
Roscommon48

where the heck do you want to go?????
Michigan? where.
lots of places out here, just tell us and we'll let you know.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:05 AM   #22
labman

They are building more!

https://www.hometownsource.com/morri...bf54c685c.html
Old 09-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
So does that mean the Hardy Brothers are a "Motley crew"? Jeez I crack myself up!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #24
rsthomis

One thing to consider in the upper Midwest is the mosquitoes! We have spent sever summers in MN, WI, and the UP of Michigan, and the skeeters about carry me off. They don't bother my husband at all, but particularly in the UP I have told him I won't go back because I almost get ill from all the bites. If you can get out on the lake, you're safe, but when you have to put on a jacket, socks and shoes, a hat, gloves, and a head net just to run to the truck for something, I'm not interested. Good luck!
rsthomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsthomis View Post
One thing to consider in the upper Midwest is the mosquitoes! We have spent sever summers in MN, WI, and the UP of Michigan, and the skeeters about carry me off. They don't bother my husband at all, but particularly in the UP I have told him I won't go back because I almost get ill from all the bites. If you can get out on the lake, you're safe, but when you have to put on a jacket, socks and shoes, a hat, gloves, and a head net just to run to the truck for something, I'm not interested. Good luck!

Not been to that area....yet, but we do go to FL all the time and mosquitoes can be a problem; no see ums are much worse IMO, then the yellow biting flies... I've found a good dousing of 99% DEET works wonders and eliminates the need for all the other "cover ups". I brought my SIL a bottle to spray on, he looked the bottle over and said "99% DEET!!!, you'll KILL yourself." Poor guy....but he's that way. DEET is harmless and effective. Used at appropriate times it can replace the smell of cologne or aftershave....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #26
NH_Bulldog

Last year we did our annual 3 week UP trip in mid June through early July and the mosquitos were insane. Earlier and it would be black flies. This year we did our trip from mid July through early August and don’t recall a single mosquito in our travels. Maybe because last year was so wet and this year was dry? No idea, but like anything else, YMMV
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
Sounds OK but it's not on a lake big enough to rent a boat and go anywhere.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #28
Grand Haven

We enjoy the City Of Houghton RV park each year for a week.
Numerous waterfalls and the Porcupine Mountains are within a hours drive, and of course head north across the nearby bridge to enter the awesome Keweenaw Peninsula full of wilderness, waterfalls and Copper mining historical sites.
Grand Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

The "allure of the UP" (at least for me) is the simple fact that, for the most part, it's an "unspoiled wilderness"... Granted, there are about 5 or 6 somewhat large towns (not cities) with most of the amenities found in most US cities, but tow a mile from town and you're "back in the wilderness again"... I don't know of any "luxury RV resorts" in the UP, it's typically too cold most of the year for "full hookup sites" (when the ground freezes 6' deep, it's tough to run sewer lines throughout a campground where nobody is camping because it's too cold for their trailer)....

Most of the "5 or 6 towns" have what's called a "Tourist Park" which is a city funded campground with electricity and water to most sites. Marquette, Houghton and Munising have full hookups in parts of their "tourist park". But, forget most of the amenities found in places like Acadiana RV Resort, Cajun RVera, Ponchartrain Landing or similar places where there is a "year round camping season". It's hard to make a sizeable investment in "luxury camping" when the season is 5-6 months long and the sites sit empty the rest of the year.

So, if you're looking for "remote, out of the way camping" where you're not crowded in a "formal state forest campground" or if a "typical campground with full hookups, close to places of interest", then the UP camping experience can be rewarding... On the other hand, if you're looking for a "large, luxury campsite where you have "stretching room away from neighbors and full hookups with cable, internet, access to boat rentals, bike trails, walking trails and "pizza delivery"... Chances are slim that you'll find "that perfect spot to spend a cool summer" anywhere in the UP.

On the other hand, if you want to walk in "unspoiled forests" find a quiet spot to boondock where you won't find another human or hear a siren, then the UP might be "just what you're looking for".... You might be awakened at 3AM by coons scratching on the mat under your awning or by a bear turning over the cooler, but neither of them will be rummaging through that pizza box delivered to your trailer....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #30
Grand Haven

Another UP Michigan gem is the new City of Manistique Lakeshore Campground, full hookup with cable TV and WiFi. Beautiful spot right on the Shores of Northern
Lake Michigan.
Grand Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:22 AM   #31
lindy46

The northern part of the lower peninsula is beautiful in July. We especially love the Traverse City area. Lots of lakes, beautiful views of Grand Traverse Bay and to the west the town of Empire and Sleeping Bear Dunes. Indigo Bluffs RV park is very nice and close to the Dunes. Back closer to Traverse city is Interlochen and the Interlochen Arts Academy, a summer camp for gifted students from all over the world. At Interlochen there are many open air concerts all summer long. Check their website. We've seen the Beach Boys, Garrison Keillor (Prairie Home Companion) and many free concerts put on by the students there. There is a State Park right across the street on Duck Lake and Interlochen is right on Green Lake. A beautiful wooded setting.
lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:50 AM   #32
CoachJohn

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan's U.P.

We just spent 3 weeks in the Dakota's , came home to Detroit through Bemedji, MN...Hayward,WI and Michigan's U.P., simply a Beautiful trip!!!! We highly recommend it, but take your time, there's so much to see!!!
CoachJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #33
notanlines

Coach John, back during the big logging boom of late 1800’s/early 1900’s it was said that the three ‘hottest’ places on earth were Hayward, Hurley and Hell. Those logging camps were probably pretty bawdry places to be!
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #34
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Last year we did our annual 3 week UP trip in mid June through early July and the mosquitos were insane. Earlier and it would be black flies. This year we did our trip from mid July through early August and don’t recall a single mosquito in our travels. Maybe because last year was so wet and this year was dry? No idea, but like anything else, YMMV
We have a MI UP cabin in the woods by the pictured rocks national forest. Mosquitoes are horrible till about mid July. We cleared around the cabin, planted grass and fog on occasion. A fan on the porch helps too and of course good bug spray. Grand Marais has a nice city park but sites are probably more tight than you'd like, mostly water and power. Many more rustic places along the shoreline going west to Munising, too tight for big rigs but a slice of God's country for sure. The original cabin my husband's family had up there was part of Camp 33, a logging camp from the days when timber was slid down the log slide on Lake Superiors shore. Camp 33 is still listed on some maps.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #35
Northofu1

I know it's a Cohen brothers movie and TV show, But, I don't know if I would want to travel through Bemidji, Duluth, or Fargo.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #36
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I know it's a Cohen brothers movie and TV show, But, I don't know if I would want to travel through Bemidji, Duluth, or Fargo.
Yup pretty rough.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #37
locomech

Have you considered Door County, Wisconsin? I think it has everything your looking for. Door County is the peninsula that sits between Green Bay and Lake Michigan. Since you like to fish you'd be right in the middle of some good great lakes fishing. There are two State Parks near the tip of the peninsula for hiking or camping. We visit Door County every year and the campground we stay at near Ellison Bay has full hookups and shade. If you're into scuba Gills Rock is the place to go for some excellent wreck diving, or you can take a ferry boat ride to Washington Island. If you do decide on Door County don't miss the fish boil at the "Old Post Office" in Ephraim, call for a reservation. July is cherry picking time and Door County is known for everything made from cherries. There are plenty of activities and night life up and down the peninsula. One of my favorite spots to visit is the winery, brewery, and distillery in Jacksonport. You can sample everything in one building. We prefer the Green Bay side as opposed to the Lake Michigan side but one can drive to one or the other in less than a half hour. Check it out on the web and good luck wherever you choose to go.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:18 AM   #38
gearhead

I searched so intensely I need to take a break from it. We have a good friend from Wisconsin who says we need to stay in the St. Croix River area. Some kind of designated scenic area. I've looked there and see a couple possibilities. But, the bugs may be a deal breaker. Another good friend from Minnesota said we will have to take a lot of OFF with us. So, I'm rethinking it. Maybe do the N. Carolina mountain area that we have driven through but not stayed any amount of time. Couple weeks here, then a couple somewhere else.
Been busy times since my first post. Sick grandkids, farm work, life.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote