Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Raptor to go.

Auto level system issues

I have a 2018 raptor 398 king suite toy hauler, auto level works great and leveling with success. But when going to retract, it stops constantly. Have to wait until it resets. It does this on all of the Jack's.
Any ideas?
Raptor to go. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
XjeepX

Exact same issue (2019 Fuzion 427). I have only had it on one trip, and found a few issues. It will be at the dealer next week and they are going to look into it. I look forward to other responses, and will definitely follow up if my dealer is able to resolve, or pin point the issue. I think in my case it has something to do with my forward right side hydro jack. It only acts up and shuts down when actuating that Jack.
XjeepX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Raptor to go.

Ok, I have heard it is in the relays, supposively they are weak, mine goes in on Saturday for this issue as well. I will let you know what they say.
Raptor to go. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
bobbecky

More than likely, it is the same problem with all the Lippert auto leveling Levelup systems installed on Keystone products. Keystone seemed to think they could get away with installing 50 amp self resetting breakers instead of the Lippert recommended 80 amp breakers on these rigs. Years ago, when the problem reared it's head, Lippert said to replace the smaller breakers with the 80 amp ones, and either an auto-reset or manual reset were fine. I installed the manual version and never have an issue with it. The photos are of what you will look for near the batteries, the small breaker and with a red plastic cover, and the 80 amp breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auto-reset breaker.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	22017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Montana hydraulics.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	22018   Click image for larger version

Name:	80 amp manual breaker.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	22019   Click image for larger version

Name:	80 amp pump breaker.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	22020  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:43 AM   #5
Racebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
More than likely, it is the same problem with all the Lippert auto leveling Levelup systems installed on Keystone products. Keystone seemed to think they could get away with installing 50 amp self resetting breakers instead of the Lippert recommended 80 amp breakers on these rigs. Years ago, when the problem reared it's head, Lippert said to replace the smaller breakers with the 80 amp ones, and either an auto-reset or manual reset were fine. I installed the manual version and never have an issue with it. The photos are of what you will look for near the batteries, the small breaker and with a red plastic cover, and the 80 amp breaker.
Had to do the same thing to mine.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
XjeepX

My dealer couldn't figure it out or had any ideas around how to fix. I had a manual 160amp breaker sitting around "old car audio days". So I swapped it in and think that's the fix. I'll order up an 80amp model and put it in for the Long haul.
XjeepX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
MN-Clark

Question. How do I tell which breaker I have now? Or should I just go out and buy 80 amp breakers and not worry about identifying what's in there now?

Did I go out and look at them myself?
No! But I'm no where near my camper right now either. So thanks in advance for the info.[emoji2]
Old 06-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Lippert has advised Grand Designs to upgrade the 50a breaker to an 80a and I’m willing to bet the 80a upgrade is applicable to ALL RV’s with the hydraulic leveling system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Lippert has advised Grand Designs to upgrade the 50a breaker to an 80a and I’m willing to bet the 80a upgrade is applicable to ALL RV’s with the hydraulic leveling system.
Was/is the same fix on the Redwoods. Lippert sold my friend a new pump for several hundred bucks, which didn't help, then suggested the 80 amp breaker, viola' fixed for about $30.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:32 AM   #10
ChuckS

I don’t know why the various fifth wheel builders keep installing a cheap 50 amp resettable breaker to the hyd pump motor. The Lippert tech sheet has been out for several years regarding upgrading the breaker to 80 amp. The motor can on cold days draw 79 amps or more with cold thick AW32 fluid. And that’s what most of the hyd reservoirs are filled with instead of ATF

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:55 AM   #11
LewisB

Me TOO!

Our new 2018 Raptor 353TS has had intermittent problems with the LCI Level Up controller periodically just going dead. Push the buttons - nothing happens - it doesn't come on at all. I've tried repeatedly to get this system to fail and stay off so I can troubleshoot it and get it to the dealer for repair. But I go out later and it is working fine!

I bet what I am seeing is this breaker in the "off cycle". I have a little one as pictured in one of the previous posts. I'm going to try the bigger breaker!

THANKS!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #12
ChuckS

If the level up control panel is going dead replacing the resettable breaker will not fix your issue.

The dual polarity solenoid gets its power from battery via that breaker BUT control panel gets its power directly from battery with small red wire and inline fuse.

This wire leads up to the level up control module located up high inside the front compartment.

Power to control panel is also received from this control module via a ribbon cable to panel

I’d try reseating ribbon cable on both control module and control panel plus verifying red lead supplying power to the control module is secure and no corrosion on fuse holder or battery connection

Old 07-12-2019, 05:59 AM   #13
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If the level up control panel is going dead replacing the resettable breaker will not fix your issue.

The dual polarity solenoid gets its power from battery via that breaker BUT control panel gets its power directly from battery with small red wire and inline fuse.

This wire leads up to the level up control module located up high inside the front compartment.

Power to control panel is also received from this control module via a ribbon cable to panel

I’d try reseating ribbon cable on both control module and control panel plus verifying red lead supplying power to the control module is secure and no corrosion on fuse holder or battery connection
Good to know. THANKS!

Old 07-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #14
ChuckS

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4054.jpg
Views:	1802
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	22781

Areas circled in yellow are flow of 12 VDC from battery to control module to control panel

Old 07-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #15
LewisB

Yup - I think you are right. I have been slowly following this diagram from LCI. I can confirm that I have power at the battery (N), the breaker and fuse (L), and the main relay (K) when the touchpad is dead. I have re-seated the connection to the touchpad for (B). I still need to re-seat the connections on the control module (C) and then confirm power to the touchpad from (B).

The problem I'm having is that this seems to happen during the hottest part of the day (108 in Tucson yesterday). At my age, I can't take much of that heat/sun, so when it quits, so do I. Then I go out the next morning to trouble shoot and the stupid thing works! I'm thinking that the temperature must be effecting the touchpad.

None-the-less, you are right; changing the breaker isn't going to fix this problem. Thanks for your insight.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #16
ChuckS

Usually if you remove the touch panel on the outside and reseat the small ribbon cable plug back into the control panel it will come back to life.

However. With age and time the controller often fails. If you have the skill set and a small wattage solder Iron often reheating as many solder junctions on backside of the board will fix the issue of a dead or intermittent level up control panel.

Wishing you good luck and watch that high heat at 108......