Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
KC10Chief

Installing second AC in prewired unit with InCommand!

I went down to the dealer today that I bought my 2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS from. I purchased a second air conditioner to go above my bedroom. The trailer has 50A service and came prewired for a second AC. I removed the vent and it is ducted just like they said. I bought a ducted unit. My trailer also has the InCommand panel. I removed the vent and installed the air conditioner itself. Now the wiring!

The air conditioner has a big plug coming off of it with six wires. That's it. In the RV next to where the vent was, there is a white box on the ceiling. I removed that and there is Romex wiring in there. There are also two other plugs. They also sold me a box that looks like a junction box where that six wire plug from the AC will plug in. That has three wires (black, white, green) coming out of it. I suspect I need to wire this in to the wires in the ceiling. That box has a couple of plugs in it where some stuff can be plugged in. Then there is a Gateway box that goes inside the AC. Zero instructions on how to wire everything up. There is no port to run the wire through either. Has anybody done this job?

This is the white box near the vent hole where the AC is at now. Romex wiring running to it. You can see the other two plugs hanging there as well.

The junction box thing. This has the black, white and green wires coming out of it.

Here you can see the wire harness from the AC hanging down through the hole and the other wires hanging down in the background. I'm not sure if I need to remove that little stapled on piece and run the wires around there or drill through that 2x4 support or what.

ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
DocP

Sorry, but I had the 2nd AC installed at the factory, but do have the In Command system. Didn't the AC come with installation instructions? The Romex in the ceiling obviously supplies power, and the "gateway box" has to somehow tie back into the thermostat and/or In Command system. Did the gateway box have a name/brand/model number that you can Google for an instruction manual?

You may also want to contact ASA Electronics (In Command) technical support for advice on the In Command part of the installation: https://www.asaelectronics.com/technical-support
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
KC10Chief

The only part that came with any sort of instructions is the little gateway box. The air conditioner itself only had a warranty card with it. Seems a bit absurd. The physical part of installing the air conditioner was easy. Other than shoving it up a ladder on to the roof of course. I can't find the Gateway box anywhere online. I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow to Keystone and Dometic and my dealer when I can get the chance.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
wobly

Can you remove the cover for the "Rear A/C" and see what the wiring looks like there? I know when I had my gateway replaced last month, they just popped the cover with the filter off and reached up and grabbed it to adjust the dip switches.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
KC10Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobly View Post
Can you remove the cover for the "Rear A/C" and see what the wiring looks like there? I know when I had my gateway replaced last month, they just popped the cover with the filter off and reached up and grabbed it to adjust the dip switches.
Duh! I don't know why I didn't think of that. HA! I did that today. I also called Dometic and waited on hold for 45 minutes to talk to a woman who said that this was Keystone's problem and they didn't know anything about these parts. I told her that the Gateway box and that the relay control box (the grey junction box looking thing), both said Dometic on them in big stamped on letters. She had never even heard of these two parts. They are definitely necessary for the install though. She then told me that she wasn't actually a technician and that as a customer, I wasn't allowed to talk to one unless I was an RV technician for a dealer. Ridiculous! So, I called my dealer where I recently bought the RV and where yesterday, I just spent $1,000 on this air conditioner and all of the parts I needed. They said they were too busy to answer a couple questions. So I called Keystone and they said they were closing and to call back tomorrow. Pretty typical for the RV industry in my experience.

Anyways, I think I've got this thing figured out. I decided to call it quits for tonight due to some tornadoes nearby but assuming I don't blow away tonight, I'll finish up tomorrow and take a bunch of photos on how to do this second AC install with the InCommand system. The wiring is the main issue I'd imagine that most people will encounter. I'll make a new how-to thread.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.