Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
JoePoke

New Converter Strange Cycling

We have a new 2015 26RBI Cougar and are 6 weeks into our 1st major trip up in the Lake Superior area where it has been very cold. Today the converter started cycling off/on and make a much louder noise than normal. We are at a campground and plugged in with good power. I shut it off for a few minutes and when I turned it back on it sounded ok for about 5 minutes and then back to the cycling. Anyone have and experience with this issue?
JoePoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Converters have a fan that cools the components when the unit is operating. If you turn the lights on, for example, you may hear the fan "kick in" and then go off after the lights are turned off. This could be the "cycling" that you are hearing. The fan does emit some noise when it is running but it shouldn't be overly loud or make any vibrating or rattling, grinding sounds that are characteristic of a bearing problem.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

What your saying could be normal in those conditions. I would check out the battery by really checking it. Look at the water level and check the volts. Pushing the panel button when on shore power always shows full charge. I said this because if the battery is being charged it will cause the fan to run on the convertor.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Steve S

Since I've changed my lights to LED's I haven't heard the converter since.
Even when before changing the lights it never cycled much and when it did it was barely noticeable.
My sisters last TT the converter was nearly as noisy as the AC, the tech guy said it was a bent fan and replaced it and that cured everything
Old 07-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
JoePoke

Since no one understood my question I will try again

• The converter/charger begins to cycle its fan loudly every 10 seconds or so “On & Off” after we have been at a campground for about 3 days. If I turn it off for 30 minutes or so it works correctly for a day or 2.

Every thing else seems to be working OK.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Without testing I would guess that the converter is okay but the fan or the thermostat that controls it is the cause of the problem. The converter can work and be silent until it reaches temperature and then the fan cycles on and off to cool it. It is the fan that makes noise (other than a slight hum) and can be easily and cheaply replaced before the converter is damaged by overheating. JM2¢, Hank

If you have animals ... the fan is very vulnerable to being clogged with hair and dust.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
JoePoke

You may be correct about the overheating. Since it is a new 3 month old trailer with LEDs and Gel Batteries I do not think there is any reason for the charger to be out of sorts. The times that this happens have been early evening after being at a site for 3 days or so, but some of these events we were in really cool weather on the north side of Lake Superior. The fact that it seems to be ok after being off for a bit is consistent with overheating but still strange. I will just keep monitoring it until I can get it checked out thoroughly. I will also keep track of how many lights are on when it happens next time.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Having some or all of your LED lights on should not cause the converter to overheat or act strangely.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Mroe67

Ours cycles on and off as well, but when on it has a fairly loud hum. It’s brand new as is the RV other than the noise which is a little annoying since it is located in the compartment below the bedroom. Other than the hum it seems to be working ok
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
ChuckS

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3538.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	21821

If your converter looks like this one .... it will usually be mounted on bottom of power center it’s known for noise and other issues.

I’d upgrade it to a stand alone converter that will be much quieter and provide good performance

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a cooling fan mounted on the converter. The purpose is to keep the converter electronics cool during use. As the amperage demand increases, the fan speed increases. The fan is a 4" pancake disc fan, the same type used in most computers.

If your converter is "humming" usually that means the fan is running. Dog hair, dust, dirt and "stray insulation during trailer construction" can all cause the fan blades to become unbalanced and vibrate. Often, just cleaning the fan will stop the hum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #12
Northofu1

my desk top has the same issue, only it moans like an old man with emphysema. they are not hard to source or change. If you do, make sure all power is off.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #13
Mroe67

Ours is a stand alone. Mounted close to the two batteries in the storage compartment UNDER our bed room. Just read that when they have a heavy load, some go into a boost mode. I think that’s what mine is doing.
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, cycling power