Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

Aqua magic hate!!!!!

Our old 2002 5ver has an Thetford Aqua Magic hand flush. I HATE IT. It is low and you have to bend and stare into the toilet's contents while flushing. WORST is that the thing does NOT fit my anatomy. It is like sitting on a bucket.

Anyway, thinking Dometic 310. Have had two previously and I know the water valve is a sore spot where fails can happen so I will buy a spare BUT I have never made a conversion. I saw on a couple sites that the 310 has an "installation kit" which contains a plastic ring which serves as some sort of adapter and holds the two retaining bolts/nuts, new bolts/nuts and caps and a new seal.

If you have made this Aqua Magic to 310 conversion, was the kit needed? $50 is a lot for what is included. TIA wg
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I replaced my Thetford with a 310 in January I believe. Just bought the 310 (came with a gasket and nuts/bolts), removed the Thetford and old gasket, placed the new gasket then the 310 over the existing bolts and used the old nuts (new nuts and bolts were different sized, didn't want to pull the retaining ring and the old ones looked new). Nothing to it. The water came in at a different angle and took a bit of faniggling but it went on just fine.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

The "installation kit" isn't necessary then I guess. Thanks. Looks to me like a cross sell attempt at the unwitting (I usually fall in that category).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny replaced a 2014 model Thetford with a "current" model Dometic 310. There have been some significant changes in Thetford's toilets through the years. The older "valve behind the hole" style toilet and the newer "pedal in front" or "flush valve on the rim" style Thetfords aren't exactly the same, so your 2002 Thetford may not have the same mounting flange/water connection as the 2014 Thetford that Danny replaced.

I'm not sure when Thetford changed styles, so I don't know which style your 2002 toilet would be..... I probably wouldn't buy the adapter kit, but try the install and if it doesn't work, then order the kit. Usually it costs more to send it back than to just keep it or throw it away, so returning it likely wouldn't be cost effective.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

George, mine did have the pedal flush. Also, when I was investigating what kind of toilet I wanted to put in I believe I ran across complete diagrams of both the Thetford and Dometic (blowups of all the parts/dimensions etc.). Looking at those vs what you have might be of some benefit trying to determine if there is going to be an issue. At some point I was told (somewhere) that I needed to get the installation kit because the toilet would change orientation with the bolt ring at the bottom. That wasn't the case. The diagrams of the new toilet with measurements/dimensions and measuring/looking at yours will probably tell you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote