Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 04:18 AM   #1
mlk1950

Lower on one side.

I just bought a 2015 Hideout 175LHS a couple of months ago. The passenger side of mine I noticed is about 3/4" lower than the other side. Why? I haven't taken it on a long trip yet, but has me wondering why it would leave the factory that way. Tire wear seems ok, but like I said it really hasn't been tested on a long trip yet. The tire sizes are the same on both sides as are the length of the spring shackles
Also, the front stone guard I noticed is flush with the bottom of the corner trim on one side and 1/2" higher than the corner trim on the other. Seems like a lack of quality control to me.
I noticed all of this when I backed into the building where I store it. It just looked like it was sitting crooked.
mlk1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:28 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a couple comments about your post. First, since you say your Hideout is a 2015 model and you bought it a couple months ago, did you purchase it as a used model? If so, do you know (reliably) how it was used, what maintenance was performed and whether it was abused, towed improperly (over roads with potholes, run off the road to damage the suspension, etc)?

Sometimes buying used is a good venture, other times, not so good.

Is it possible (or even likely) that the problems you identify are a direct result of something that happened after the trailer left the manufacturer and they may even be the reason why it was on the sales lot when you purchased it?

The reason I ask is because we had a 2011 Springdale fifth wheel. A tree fell on it in 2013 (2 years old at the time). We had it repaired because the insurance company would not "total" it, and yes, there was enough damage to consider it a total loss, but the cost to repair was less than the cost to replace, so they wouldn't consider it a total loss. Once it was repaired (it looked like new, BTW) we traded it in on a different trailer. We fully disclosed the condition and repair history to the dealer, but I have no idea what he told the guy that purchased it. To me, that's between the dealer and the buyer, but I describe the events to show you that used equipment, sitting on a dealer's lot, may not reflect "manufacturer's quality" in all situations.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:30 AM   #3
Johnny's Journey

If it's parked on level surface measure the clearance from the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame on both side to be sure. If sure, take it back for spring sag since it seems to be a new never been sold before 2015.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Johnny's Journey,

Check post #1 in the OP's first thread: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=30604

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #5
mlk1950

Thank you for your quick responses. I bought it from a local dealer used. I measured from the frame bottom to the top of the axle and there was only about a 1/4" difference from one side to the other. While I was under there, I did notice something else. The siding was installed 1/2" below the bottom of the subfloor on the passenger side and up tight against the bottom of the subfloor on the drivers side. This combined with the stone guard being 1/2" out of wack, would explain why it looks like it's 1" lower on the passenger side. Also, I measured hooked on the roof trim right against the rain gutter on both sides down to the bottom of the siding and it was 1/2" greater on the passenger side than the driver side.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk1950 View Post
there was only about a 1/4" difference from one side to the other
“The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.”
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:11 AM   #7
rjrelander

Sounds like a lack of communication between Team Ezekiel on the passenger side and Team Eli on the driver side down on the manufacturing floor that day ...

Jonas: "Jedediah, we have one wall that is an inch taller that the other one."
Jedediah: "No matter, Jonas, just nail it on a half inch lower to balance it out."

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
mlk1950

It used to be that people took pride in their work. What ever happened to that. I know that they are probably on them every day to get these things pumped out faster and faster off the line, but come on. It's all about money and profit anymore. The way the siding is installed I will just have to learn to live with. The stone guard I can change which will help in the appearance, somewhat. I'm just glad I bought a 2 year old unit which hopefully has most of the bugs worked out of it compared to some of the experiences I'v read of some people who bought new. I'm thinking I may put new springs and heavier duty shackles on, just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

If you change the shackles go with “wet bolts”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
mlk1950

Chuckster57:
Do you mean the ones with grease zerks ? Also, I have read that the U-bolts should be replaced if I put new springs on.Thank you for the advice .
Old 11-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes wet bolts have zerks on the head. U bolts are cheap enough to get new, but I don’t think it’s mandatory.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
mlk1950

Thank you sir and everyone else for the replies. You know this unit didn't even have a winterizing hose on the inlet line. When I bought it, I had to buy a bypass valve from the dealer and install one myself. ($18.00) is what I paid at the dealer, but in reality at the plant it was probably only a $2.00 part. The pump is in an awkward place so I would have to be a contortionist to winterize it at the pump. (clear back under the bottom bunk)