Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
CrazyCain

Bug screens

Looking at "bug screens" on amazon and the like, for fridge access doors, water heaters and stuff, Do these restrict the airflow to the units. Some one said you can use door screen on the back of these things but i think that may restrict the air flow and cause damage. The bug screens look to be able to keep the stinging winged wonders from setting up shop, but will it keep our some times furry little 8 legged monster for doing the same....

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Be careful about screens on the refer access panels. They reduce airflow and at least one fridge maker will void warranty claim if installed. Flea collars cut up are what a manufacturer rep said to use.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Be careful about screens on the refer access panels. They reduce airflow and at least one fridge maker will void warranty claim if installed. Flea collars cut up are what a manufacturer rep said to use.
Flea collars makes sense. If i use anything it will be when it is just sitting waiting to go on the road again

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 04-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
geobet

I've got screen on my furnace (which I never use) and my hot water heater. They do keep the critters out. However, on my frig vents, I didn't want to risk diminishing the air flow. So, when the rig is parked between trips, I got a 6' foam insulating pipe wrap from the hardware store - cut it in half length wise and then cut the halves to fit the opening in the vents. Absolutely nothing can get in, especially our dreaded red wasps. But, given that I'm at the age where I can't remember what I had for breakfast, I tape a sticky note on the frige door to remind me to pull the strips before I fire up the frig. Works for me.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
I've got screen on my furnace (which I never use) and my hot water heater. They do keep the critters out. However, on my frig vents, I didn't want to risk diminishing the air flow. So, when the rig is parked between trips, I got a 6' foam insulating pipe wrap from the hardware store - cut it in half length wise and then cut the halves to fit the opening in the vents. Absolutely nothing can get in, especially our dreaded red wasps. But, given that I'm at the age where I can't remember what I had for breakfast, I tape a sticky note on the frige door to remind me to pull the strips before I fire up the frig. Works for me.
Funny post George. The foam is a great idea..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 04-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Tbos

Quote:

Which company won't honor the warranty if screens are on the fridge vents?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Which company won't honor the warranty if screens are on the fridge vents?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IIRC it's Norcold. I'll check in the morning.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
The foam sounds like a great idea but the roof vent is still wide open. I use 1/4" hardware cloth under the roof vent cap and behind the outside hatch cover .... epoxied in place with a hole cut for the drain hose. Won't stop the little stuff but larger critters don't get in and it doesn't seem to block air flow. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

All the roof vents I have taken the cover off have a screen underneath. It's part of the piece that is mounted to the roof, not the "lid". Granted it isn't fine mesh, but I think it's there to Stop leaves and such from landing on the top tube of the cooling unit.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:39 AM   #10
NorskeBob

I installed them on our last RV because it was going to be in storage for a few months in SC. Installed on furnace, HW heater and frig door vents (2). Purchased them on Amazon. Took them off before we traded our RV this month and will install them on our new RV.

The frig. vent screens don't restrict much air flow for the frig (frig in the slide) . I did have a 2nd vent fan on the back of the frig too - SilenX Effizio Silent 120mm Thermistor Edition Fan.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #11
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeBob View Post
I installed them on our last RV because it was going to be in storage for a few months in SC. Installed on furnace, HW heater and frig door vents (2). Purchased them on Amazon. Took them off before we traded our RV this month and will install them on our new RV.

The frig. vent screens don't restrict much air flow for the frig (frig in the slide) . I did have a 2nd vent fan on the back of the frig too - SilenX Effizio Silent 120mm Thermistor Edition Fan.
I have them on all three. I agree about the flow restriction. It is minimal.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I have them on all three. I agree about the flow restriction. It is minimal.

Manufacturer rep claimed 30% loss of flow. Is that minimal? Suppose it depends on your definition of the word.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #13
mfifield01

Quote:
Manufacturer rep claimed 30% loss of flow. Is that minimal? Suppose it depends on your definition of the word.
That sounds like a BS response from them. Just by looking at them you can see it's not much.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #14
srvnt

Fact: Flea collars work for insects and your fridge wont be scratchin.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #15
Cardcathrn

On our walk through, the "expert" recommended screens. I am thinking to put regular screens on the airflow. But will check warranty first. All good info!
Cardcathrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #16
CrazyCain

Been using them since the original post, I take the reefer sceens off before firing it up, the HWH i don't and not using furnace just yet....never thought of the roof vents. Did take propane tank cover off and Mr. YellowJacket wasn't very happy to see me.....

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
: