Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
Briankey2014

Frozen water

Just joined the group hopefully I can figure out what I am doing. I'm not to good at this computer stuff so bare with me. I recently come back from a trip south. Prior to leaving I checked with my dealer about cold weather travel he said leave the furnace running at 65 degrees and you should be fine. I have a 2014 Outback 298RE with the artic barrier. So upon coming home leaving the furnace running I went to winterize the unit and found my water tank drain froze and could not get water to come out of kitchen facet. It has been in the teens and windy here in the northeast but never expected this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for putting up with my ranting. Brian
Briankey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
Tbos

I'm guessing you are talking about the low point drains. You can try putting some electric heat tape on the drains. You may try putting some other form of heat there even if it's a small space heater or a lamp. Just make sure if the water starts to drain/flow you don't have anything there that would cause an electrocution hazard. You may need to put a temporary boundary (think a box) around the drains to keep the heat in while doing this. What I've done in the past is drain the tanks before or while I'm leaving and driving home. And then leave the caps off until I'm home and then blow out the lines. Good luck.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
JimQ

Brian: You stated your in the North East right now. It was below zero this morning at my house here in central Mass. By Wednesday and Thursday its going into the fifties. That will help you out. Once the ice melts and the drains are flowing , you can then purge the lines with low pressure air and install some RV antifreeze. Hopefully, the ice did not do any damage to your F/W pump or any of the fittings. If you have never winterized before, use the search feature and it will come up. Good Luck.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
spdracr39

What ever damage that could have been done is done. Hopefully you don't have any damage. Once thawed drain everything and pump anitfreeze in from the water pump. I did not use air and it took about a gallon and a half. $7.00 worth of antifreeze is worth the piece of mind and is tons cheaper than the propane you will use keeping the trailer at 65 degrees.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

When traveling in cold weather we never have water in the fresh water tank; the drain will freeze and whatever heating you have in the subfloor will not help it. Fill when you get to the site and use your heating. Drain before travel or storage. We try to stay at improved campsites and use a heated water hose if it gets that cold (<25 degrees). We also blow our water lines out with air (making sure we empty the water pump line) when preparing to put the trailer away (we live in the SW/in the NE you may want to winterize with anti freeze).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water