Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Way Of Life

Water pump upgrade

Has anyone changed out their water pump to increase pressure and GPM flow? If so, what did you install and why.

Most of our camping is done in state parks. The sites only provide electric and I'm tired of the weak pressure and minimal Flo provided by the pump installed at the factory.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Of Life View Post
Has anyone changed out their water pump to increase pressure and GPM flow? If so, what did you install and why.

Most of our camping is done in state parks. The sites only provide electric and I'm tired of the weak pressure and minimal Flo provided by the pump installed at the factory.
There are previous threads on this general topic containing lots of detailed discussion. I encourage you to find and read them.

Before you spend any money on a new pump, you should understand that these symptoms are usually caused by some kind of physical problem in the water system, not the pump. A kinked hose, a partially open/closed winterizing valve, a partial blockage in a hose or the fresh water tank, and more are all possibilities.

The standard pump that comes in your trailer is more than capable of supplying adequate pressure and flow. The only upgrade some folks make is a better shower head. Again, lots of previous threads on that topic.

If you'd determine what pump you actually have in the trailer, and then compare it to other RV water pumps, you may find that there is not much difference across the entire product range when it comes to pressure and gpm.

We also camp in parks with no water hookups. Because of that we tend to be a bit frugal with water usage, but still find the stock pump more than adequate.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
dcg9381

Like Steve says, if you're changing for more actual pressure - that's probably an exercise in futility.

What are you actual symptoms?

If you're looking for more volume - there are upgrades that can help. These will not help with actual pressure.

One reason I've upgraded a pump before is to get less noise - some of them can be really noisy, especially depending on how they are mounted.

Adding a pressure tank can also help with the constant on/off, but it does nothing for actual pressure.

Do you exactly which pump you've got?
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:03 AM   #4
WaltBennett

If your home is on city water and not a well, you're probably used to far greater pressure than almost any RV is built to handle. That's why one should have at least a $5 pressure regulator on the end of the hose that's connected to the water faucet supplying CG water. The ~40 lbs pressure out of one of these is close to the same as you'd get from any RV water pump in good condition.

Anyone who's had higher water pressure fed into the city connection can tell you about plumbing leaks (or worse). I used to have the pressure regulator on the trailer end of our hose. Had two hoses blow from way high pressure at a CG "resort" in Phoenix and that changed my approach.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
If your home is on city water and not a well, you're probably used to far greater pressure than almost any RV is built to handle. That's why one should have at least a $5 pressure regulator on the end of the hose that's connected to the water faucet supplying CG water. The ~40 lbs pressure out of one of these is close to the same as you'd get from any RV water pump in good condition.

Anyone who's had higher water pressure fed into the city connection can tell you about plumbing leaks (or worse). I used to have the pressure regulator on the trailer end of our hose. Had two hoses blow from way high pressure at a CG "resort" in Phoenix and that changed my approach.
+1

Protect the hose and filters, if used, equally as well as the trailer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
theeyres

When dry camping I got tired of the low pressure in the shower so I drilled out the washer that reduces the pressure in the shower head. It worked. Then, surprise, surprise, I blew through the water in tank in no time at all. Moral of the story: high pressure while dry camping is no solution. Gotta live with that lower pressure to conserve water.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
When dry camping I got tired of the low pressure in the shower so I drilled out the washer that reduces the pressure in the shower head. It worked. Then, surprise, surprise, I blew through the water in tank in no time at all. Moral of the story: high pressure while dry camping is no solution. Gotta live with that lower pressure to conserve water.
LOL Very true !!! Somehow I've got this image of someone, soapy in the shower and no way to rinse, no hot water, well, no water at all.......

Sometimes a "dribble" is a good thing...............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
SkiSmuggs

I got the Shurflo Revolution for quiet operation. The Oxygenics shower heads increase shower pressure. The Ecocamel JetStorm does as well with a broader spray then the Oxygenics.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
AnolaBob

Expansion tank

Ive thought of putting a two gallon expansion tank on the water system to provide a more consistent flow to the faucets. This should also reduce pump cycling.
Perhaps this could also ward off campground high pressure issues?
2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Larimie Longhorn
2013 Can Am 1000 XMR, T4S tracks and 2011 XTP quads, snow plow
'68 Chevy Pickup w/502
Bud and Blu, the black dogs
AnolaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnolaBob View Post
Ive thought of putting a two gallon expansion tank on the water system to provide a more consistent flow to the faucets. This should also reduce pump cycling.
Perhaps this could also ward off campground high pressure issues?
I don't think the expansion /accumulator tank would do anything to reduce campground water pressure. The tank works in conjunction with and is hooked up to the FW pump and the FW tank. It has nothing to do with the campground/city water supply system - only the FW pump system.

The tank may indeed help with the other two issues - a more consistent flow and less pump cycling.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #11
AnolaBob

Thanks for the clarification Festus2. So a prv on the inlet is required to control high pressure. Haven't run into that yet but I guess it will happen.
2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Larimie Longhorn
2013 Can Am 1000 XMR, T4S tracks and 2011 XTP quads, snow plow
'68 Chevy Pickup w/502
Bud and Blu, the black dogs
AnolaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #12
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnolaBob View Post
Thanks for the clarification Festus2. So a prv on the inlet is required to control high pressure. Haven't run into that yet but I guess it will happen.
You really need a pressure valve. Connect it to the campground faucet and hook your hose to it.

The tank is useful when not hooked to campground water and using your pump. The pump cycles less and I can get a couple of good flushes in at night with the pump turned off. Our pump is right next to the bed so I don't run it at night.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #13
WaltBennett

X2 on installing the $6 pressure regulator/valve at the faucet. Otherwise you might end up with a ruptured hose like I did in AZ.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote