Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Nuckledragger

Shades in the bunkhouse- options?

We have a Passport 2650 TT. My kids sleep in the bunkhouse and all night long you can hear them move around when their knees hit the metal blinds covering the bunkhouse windows. It drives us crazy and they don't like it either. I am thinking about removing the blinds and doing one of the following:

1. Get those windows tinted darker (limo tint) so no one can see in from the outside.
2. Putting the opaque frosted privacy film on the inside
3. Replacing the metal blinds with cellular shades. I am worried these might get damaged as they move around at night.

Anyone have experience with different window covering options in the bunkhouse? Our biggest concern is obviously anyone being able to see in while they are sleeping.
Nuckledragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #2
GaryWT

Our trailer has curtains that Velcro to keep them closed at night.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

The kids ruined our metal blinds, cant blame them either. I haven't tried yet but seen a camper at an Rv show that had a small rod on top and one rod on the bottom mounted upside down, with 2 pieces of cloth material(left and right). I don't sew but seemed easy to make or have made. The material was stretched up and down leaving the rods in place by friction of the material. Endless possibilities for material, even Walmart has a fabric section.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
Laredo291OH

Hi Nuckledragger,

Our bunkhouse had the metal blinds and they were bent up after the first year. I replaced them with the cellular day shades. They have been in there for 4 years now (all 3 windows) and I have only had 1 of the screws for the tension string get pulled out. Other than that the day shades have worked great. I replaced the metal blind in the kitchen at the same time.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:28 AM   #5
Nuckledragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo291OH View Post
Hi Nuckledragger,

Our bunkhouse had the metal blinds and they were bent up after the first year. I replaced them with the cellular day shades. They have been in there for 4 years now (all 3 windows) and I have only had 1 of the screws for the tension string get pulled out. Other than that the day shades have worked great. I replaced the metal blind in the kitchen at the same time.
Thanks for the response, where did you get your day shades from?
Nuckledragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo291OH View Post
Hi Nuckledragger,

Where did you get the shades? I know therecreca bunch of us that would like to upgrade.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
mom2budnbug

Our 230BH has curtains. The fabric is attached to a small strip of wood above the window and they attach just below the window with heavy snaps. They have a two snapped strips that allow the curtains to be rolled up. The fabric is a factory "blackout" type fabric.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:44 AM   #8
Laredo291OH

I'm not sure where we got them and I can't find a receipt, it was from a website, something like http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvpl...s/rvshades.htm We did the day shades only.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
Tbos

Laredo2910H, thanks. That's a great link. How close were they on meeting your measurements?
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:30 AM   #10
Laredo291OH

It was 4 years ago when we did it, but it seems like they were on the money. I can't guarantee the link I gave is the exact site I used. The color was right on also, you can't tell which were factory and which were installed later.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #11
KSH

I know it's a bit... Ghetto, but we just put foil and taped it tho the inside of the window [emoji4]
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #12
tommy_z

Another idea would be to tape up some non-skid shelf liner. It has a perforated pattern and blocks about 50% of the light. I use it on my shower skylight to diffuse the light - huge difference.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote