Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

I installed the SAM-1 range vent "upgrade kit" a couple of weeks ago. Our first camping trip is this weekend so I can't give you any "actual cooking experience" with it yet, but it is much MUCH less noise and significantly more air movement than the OEM fan/vent.

As stated in some of the literature, if you open a bedroom window and turn the range hood to high, it will draw air through the bedroom window. And, even on high, it is less noisy then the OEM vent.

I wouldn't think it's a replacement for a roof vent fan, but it is a significant improvement over the "little vibrator" that was installed at the factory.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #22
RavensFan24

I checked the RV today to see if it was already pre-wired in the vent port. While it wasn't pre-wired, I did find some wires that were reachable from the port. One went to the LED light and was red and white. The other one I couldn't see what is was connected to, but it was black and white and seemed like the wire may have been a touch thicker than the red and white wire.

Based on my extremely limited electrical knowledge, I'm assuming the red and white wire is for 12v and the black and white wire is prob the 120v for the AC unit which is right near there.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this is accurate? I checked the manual and there was no real info. I know you can tie the fan into the wiring with the lights, so I'm pretty sure the red and white cable will work for my purposes, but wanted to get some confirmation if possible before I start splicing wires.

Also, a thought I just had was regarding the light switch. If I just tapped into a wire in the ceiling, won't my fan be at the mercy of the light switch being on or off? There isn't a switch anywhere near the vent port and the LED lights are puck lights, so no individual switches. I'm guessing the next best option would be to go into the fuse box, which is about 5 ft away from the vent on the ceiling and about 7ft down under a pantry.

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/Share...205_164040.jpg
RavensFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a number of different circuits that run through the ceiling. As a "GENERAL RULE" (not always gospel) the 120VAC is run as ROMEX, the 12VDC wiring is run as either coupled wires or single wiring runs. The 12 VDC wiring is generally not enclosed in a sheath so if you've found a red/white pair and a black/white pair, I'd suspect that both are 12VDC. If you've found 12 ga Romex, it's likely to be the air conditioner power supply, if you've found a 14 ga Romex, it's probably the wiring run for outlets somewhere in the trailer.

I hope this explanation "sort of" leads you in the right direction. If you're unsure, use a multimeter with a needle probe to check for voltage, but generally speaking, if it's a single wire, it's 12 VDC. And, yes, many people will tap power from the light source. If it's converted to LED, you'll probably have more than enough power available without overloading the wiring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #24
RavensFan24

Thanks for the info. I hope the black and white wire I found is 12v and not switch based, but I fear the red and white one is switch based. It's a 2015 trailer and the lights were originally LED, but I'm hoping it still has enough juice to run it without causing issues, as I'm dreading having to fish wire over to the pantry, drill holes and get the wire to the fuse box.

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/Share...205_164040.jpg
RavensFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote