Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
arwenmark

Any way to put in a third axel at the back?

We bought a 2004 Sprinter 300 FKMS and it is 33 foot long total.

we have not yet picked it up because of storms, trouble is my driveway is slanted and then flattens out. the road itself rises a bit in the middle in relation to the driveway. and I am quite afraid that the trailer will bottom out in the back as we try to get into the driveway.

I looked at skid wheels but not sure that would help. I am wondering if this turns out to be a problem is there any way to add an axle and wheels at the back of the trailer as some sort of assist? there is 10.5 feet to the back of the TT beyond the current axles, and there is 15.5" clearance from the lowest point under in the back to the ground. I am afraid as the truck goes up the drive bringing the front of the trailer with it that it will pivot the TT and the back will hit the ground.

Backing in would be even worse, backing out if it does NOT bottom out should not be too hard.
arwenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds as if you haven't yet attempted to get the trailer into the parking spot and that your concerns are, at this time, perceived, not real???? I'd urge you to wait until you take delivery of your trailer and then see if you even have the problem you're worried about. If you do, there are "skid wheels" that can be purchased to help slide the rear of the RV along, there is a possibility that you can lay some 2x10's on the ground to build a ramp to lessen the angle of approach. Trying to alter the suspension on a 10 year old trailer will probably be cost prohibitive and you may find that by attempting such a large modification, you change the towing characteristics so much that the trailer won't handle predictably on the highway.

I'd suggest you wait and see if you even have a problem before considering what could be a very expensive modification.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
arwenmark

You are correct we have not tried it yet, have to wait for snow to melt. Also I do plan to try before I do anything to the TT. I am just very concerned about it, it never occured to me until after we bought it.
arwenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would use skid wheels before I tried to add an axle. We have installed them on 23,000 pound motorhomes and they hold up so I know they would be stout enough for your trailer.

Adding an axle would require a bunch of fabrication, and I'm willing to bet wouldn't fit in the current wheel well.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote