Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
davidjsimons

Winterization question

I recently winterized my Cougar 28 RBS. I realized that I had not pumped any antifreeze into the inlet for the black tank flush and did so with a 110v pump. My question is, do I need to do the same thing for my city water connection? When I winterized the rest of the unit, I did so through the bypass on the 12V on board water pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

David-
One method I use to ensure that there is some pink stuff in these hose fittings is to take a small, hand-held manual pump (available at CW), put one end of the hose into some pink stuff, screw the other hose into the RV connection and pump a bit of antifreeze into the connection.

There is a small, spring-loaded check valve inside of each of these connections and I like to make sure that they are not omitted from the winterizing process. So far, I haven't had any freezing problems using this method.

Others may have different suggestions but this works for me.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
davidjsimons

I think I follow you.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

The pump that I am referring to is a Camco "Antifreeze Hand Pump Kit" (36003). You can also get a blow out plug and use a bicycle pump to disperse any water that might be in the fitting and check valve.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
davidjsimons

Roger that. I found one on eBay and ordered it.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

David,

If you use air at the city water connection to blow out the lines, you won't have any water in the inlet from the pump back to the check valve in the water inlet fitting. So when you start pumping antifreeze into the lines with the 12V pump, it will backflow to the check valve and you'll have antifreeze in the city water inlet. There isn't a reason to pump additional antifreeze into the city water inlet..... Now if you don't use air to blow out your lines, you'll still have water from the inlet to the 12V pump, so in that situation, you'd need to pump antifreeze into the city water inlet to displace the water. If you do it that way, pump the antifreeze into the city water inlet FIRST, then use the 12V pump to flow antifreeze to the rest of the RV. If you wait and do the city water inlet last, you will force that water into the lines further downstream and dilute your antifreeze.

I've found the best way to do it is to get the $2 air fitting at WalMart, attach it to the city water inlet, use a pencil air nozzle (from Harbor Freight) and a piece of fuel line and blow air into the system with all the faucets open and the low point drains open. MAX AIR PRESSURE AROUND 40 PSI Once everything stops spitting water mist, then close the faucets (nearest to the city water inlet first, then move on down the line, closing the low point drains last. Then close the hot water heater bypass, and remove the air fitting from the city water supply fitting. Then pump antifreeze into the lines, opening the nearest cold water faucet until it flows pink, close it move the next closest, then go back and do the hot water lines. (doing cold, then hot is just my personal preference, I don't like doing them both at the same time) I don't think it makes a hill of beans difference, just my preference.....

Don't forget the outside shower, after the shower head flows pink, I disconnect the hose from the faucet and take the hose/shower head inside and store it in the bath tub. Also, open the low point drains, make sure they flow pink. When they do, then close them also.

I leave my fresh water drain valve open in case there may be some water in a low spot that may get moved around during jacking and/or leveling.

Pour a cup or so of antifreeze in each trap, don't forget the toilet in all this, It should flow pink, make sure the PEX line behind the toilet has pink in it and then pour a cup above the toilet flap.

Then, you're pretty much done. Total time (after you get organized and do it a few times) is about 30 minutes.

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
davidjsimons

I appreciate the response. I have already winterized the rest of the trailer. I just happened to think today that I had not addressed my black water flush system. That then prompted me to ask about the short distance between the city water inlet and my 12v pump. The outside shower has been done. Thankfully, we have not had any hard, cold weather yet.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If you want to purge the water out of the city water inlet and don't want to wait for the pump, hook up your antifreeze feed line to the water pump, go outside and take the screen filter out of the city water connection, push the one way valve with a dowel or a golf tee (I'd not use anything metal) and have your wife flip the water pump switch on for a second then off. Do that repeatedly until you get antifreeze flowing out of the side of the trailer. DON'T STAND IN FRONT OF IT !!!! You'll be pink in notime at all

There is an o-ring in the water inlet, if you displace it, you'll need to replace it before you can use the fresh water supply with the pump, so be careful to only "tap" the water pump switch momentarily until you get pink flow out of the RV.

Don't use the dowel to push on the valve if there is pressure on the system, it will displace the oring. Turn on a cold water faucet before pressing the valve, then close the faucet and pump antifreeze back toward the water inlet valve.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Nick & Jamie

I used the outside shower on my cougar. It is the blue hose with the standard hose fitting on it. I first pumped it through the black tank flush and then into the city water inlet. I didn't have a black tank flush on my old camper so I wasn't sure if the backflow valve drained all the water or not. I though it couldn't hurt and anti-freeze is cheap insurance compared to replacing a busted water line in the spring. Plus it adds anti-freeze to the tanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
jimmyv13

Damn...After reading this, I just realized I neglected to open my outside shower when I ran the anitfreeze through the system. My first winterization...how bad is it going to be in the spring?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Clanton24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
Damn...After reading this, I just realized I neglected to open my outside shower when I ran the anitfreeze through the system. My first winterization...how bad is it going to be in the spring?
Dang, me too !!
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Jimmyv12 and Clanton24v,

If I remember correctly, the shower on the Hideout is like this picture (I'm sure the shower on the Springdale is like this one). If that is what you have, realistically, it's an interior shower faucet with a plastic box around it. Probably the worst case scenario is that you'll have to buy the faucet and a couple of PEX clamps. I wouldn't change out the entire shower if there's no damage to the actual shower box, as it's more difficult to reseal the box to the side of the trailer than it is to change out the inner works. PEX is actually forgiving (usually), it's the fittings on the end of the PEX and the faucets that most often get split when frozen. It's too late in SE Michigan to worry about it too much this winter, maybe in Washington you've still got time to rewinterize??? Of course, if you've already had subfreezing weather, it might all be over but the aria from the morbidly obese female.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000000000000000000.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	2312  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
jimmyv13

Yup, mine looks basically like that, it was replaced in the fall of 2011 due to a cracked water feed line to the toilet which flooded about 75% of the trailer. I dropped the trailer off at a General RV for repair in September and they had it until May of 2012 for the repairs. They "fixed" everything then my insurance guy went out there before we took delivery and found a bunch of stuff that they charged for and never did. THEN, they didn't winterize it while the were fixing their screrw ups and a few things froze and popped, the outside shower being one of them. A few hundered dollar job turned into over $5K due to their negligence and more importantly, idiocy. Needless to say, my trailer will not ever be at GRV again.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
hankaye

Howdy Fellas;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanton24v View Post
Dang, me too !!
Well, write yourselves a note to check the waterlines in the
area of the Outdoor shower and put it somewhere you'll be
sure to see itwhen you go to wake it up for the Spring.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #15
davidjsimons

With all of those replies in respect to outdoor showers, I'm glad I posted the question. Lets hurry Spring along!