Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
ghostrider06

Red face New member from NC - water heater problem

Hello everyone! Ken and Lecia semi retired and lovin it. This is our third enclosed unit and we love it. We own a 2009 Keystone Outback Sydney edition 321 FRL. I do have a problem I hope someone can answer. Our water heater is dual power; propane or electric. We bought it used and the first time we used it, we used both modes. Yes, the electric switch was used when it had water in the heater. Second time out, the lighted electric switch would not burn and no heated water! No problem with circuit breaker, so I assumed it was the heating element. Out comes the ohmmeter and I discover that it is not the problem either! Hmmmm. I checked the GFCI stuff and its OK, so I have narrowed down the problem to the switch itself when I discover there is no power coming to the electrical switch! Is the thermostat bad? Yes, the switch outside at the heating unit is in the "on" position. Now I am stumped. Dont know what to look for next. Anyone ever have the same problem? Anybody got an idea what I should check next??? Many thanks, Ghostrider06
ghostrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider06 View Post
Hello everyone! Ken and Lecia semi retired and lovin it. This is our third enclosed unit and we love it. We own a 2009 Keystone Outback Sydney edition 321 FRL. I do have a problem I hope someone can answer. Our water heater is dual power; propane or electric. We bought it used and the first time we used it, we used both modes. Yes, the electric switch was used when it had water in the heater. Second time out, the lighted electric switch would not burn and no heated water! No problem with circuit breaker, so I assumed it was the heating element. Out comes the ohmmeter and I discover that it is not the problem either! Hmmmm. I checked the GFCI stuff and its OK, so I have narrowed down the problem to the switch itself when I discover there is no power coming to the electrical switch! Is the thermostat bad? Yes, the switch outside at the heating unit is in the "on" position. Now I am stumped. Dont know what to look for next. Anyone ever have the same problem? Anybody got an idea what I should check next??? Many thanks, Ghostrider06
First I would check to see if I was getting power to the element. (Each screw to ground) When you checked the element with the ohm meter with the wires removed you should have had about 13ohms + or - 1 or 2. If you have no power start back at the breaker and check for loose wires. Keep trying you will find the problem. Meanwhile I assume it still works on gas ... if so I think you can rule out the thermostat. Good luck and keep us posted, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Ghostrider06, Welcome to the forums.... Now, to hopefully head you to a fix...

Have you reset the water heater? There are two black rubbercoated buttons in the upper left part of the outside door part of the heater.... Push on them and see if it helps... You probably won't feel a click or snap when pushing them, but hopefully that'll reset your heater and start things getting you in "hot water" again

Hope this helps

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Now I know I'm getting old ....... how could I forget the reset button.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

No comment Hank (other than I was in one of my "non-forgetful" cycles) LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
ghostrider06

Electrical feed to hot water heater

Hi Hank and thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I did press the reset buttons (at the same time). That didnt work. Guess there is a GFI somewhere hidden away. I will post when I find the answer. Many thanks, Ken
ghostrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Outbackmel

Hot water issue

Welcome to the forum. We had a similar issue this past winter in AZ. After a pro electrician poked and prodded around the control panel and reset, our electric kicked in and worked for 2 weeks and QUIT. Propane always worked. Our issue turned out to be a bad wire on the heater and was replaced with all in good working order for the past 4 months. We originally thought it was going to be the control panel. Wrong. Quirky little things these water heaters.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote