Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Jay D

2 questions on WD Hitch

1) I have a 2010 F250 and I pull a 2010 299BHS Sprinter and I use a EAZ LIFT round bar WD Hitch that reads MGTWR 14,OOO lbs and MVHC 1,400lbs Round Bar reads 10,000lbs MGTWR and 1,000lbs MVHC. My issue is that last weekend while trying to get out of a site the bracket of said WD hitch on the passenger side of the TT slide back about 8". I did not notice this until I got home later on. The bracket has a bolt on the back side (inner side of the frame on TT) that locks the bracket to the frame, but on the outside (facing TV) there are 2 holes on the bottom of the bracket. The dealer installed everything for me and I never asked if there should be any nuts/bolts in those holes. My question is should I drill the holes through the frame and add nuts/bolts or just make sure the 1 bolt on the back side is always tight?

2) On the the hitch under the ball there are 2 holes. Top hole is not threaded and is about an 1" under the ball nut the 2nd hole is threaded and is about 4" below the nut, but this one has a bolt in it. I remember seeing the the bolt was against the hitch before and now it's about an inch away. The top of the hitch where the ball is now touching the hitch? Ball is facing towards gate of TV? What is the bolt for and why would there not be one in the top hole as well? Again the dealer did the install when I bought the TT. Thanks for any insight on both questions, Jay
Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D View Post
1) I have a 2010 F250 and I pull a 2010 299BHS Sprinter and I use a EAZ LIFT round bar WD Hitch that reads MGTWR 14,OOO lbs and MVHC 1,400lbs Round Bar reads 10,000lbs MGTWR and 1,000lbs MVHC. My issue is that last weekend while trying to get out of a site the bracket of said WD hitch on the passenger side of the TT slide back about 8". I did not notice this until I got home later on. The bracket has a bolt on the back side (inner side of the frame on TT) that locks the bracket to the frame, but on the outside (facing TV) there are 2 holes on the bottom of the bracket. The dealer installed everything for me and I never asked if there should be any nuts/bolts in those holes. My question is should I drill the holes through the frame and add nuts/bolts or just make sure the 1 bolt on the back side is always tight?

2) On the the hitch under the ball there are 2 holes. Top hole is not threaded and is about an 1" under the ball nut the 2nd hole is threaded and is about 4" below the nut, but this one has a bolt in it. I remember seeing the the bolt was against the hitch before and now it's about an inch away. The top of the hitch where the ball is now touching the hitch? Ball is facing towards gate of TV? What is the bolt for and why would there not be one in the top hole as well? Again the dealer did the install when I bought the TT. Thanks for any insight on both questions, Jay
For the first question, I would just loosen the bolt and move the bracket back to where it needs to be set and then retighten the bolt. What you could do to keep that bolt from loosening would be add a jamb lock nut to it. Take the bolt out and add the nut and then screw back into the bracket. When the bolt is tight run the nut down and tight it tight against the bracket. This will keep constant tension on the bolt and keep it from backing out. There shouldn't be any reason you would need to add any other bolts.

As for the secound question, it sounds like you had a dealer that didn't install the head right (sounds like the same dealer I used). The top hole that isn't threaded should have a rivot in it with washers on it to set the angle or pitch of the head. The bottom hole that has the bolt in it is to put tension on the rivot and washers. The dealer I had never put the rivot in my hitch and I had to put it in after I got home and reset the pitch on the head. I worked in a hitch shop for over 4 years and told the guy that installed mine at the dealers that it wasn't right but he insisted he knew what he was doing. The funny thing is he couldn't explain why the extra parts in the box wasn't used even when the instructions said they needed to be used. If there is no rivot in the top hole this will allow the head to move even with the two large side bolts tightened. I bet if you look at the top large mounting bolt on the side of your hitch head you can see where it was. I hope this answers your questions. Good luck!

Not sure which one you have the Elite or Ultra but here are the installation instructions for both of them. The rivot and washers are number 12a & 12b on the exploded parts view.
Elite_Instructions.pdf
Ultra_Instructions.pdf

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Jay D

Thanks Phil, for the reply. I will diff add a nut on the bolt on the bracket, just surprised you don't need anything else in the other holes. On the hitch if I don't have the rivet and washers could a place a nut/bolt and adjust the angle of the ball that way? Jay
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
campingcpl

Your welcome. As for adding the other bolts you really don't need to because with the added pressure of the chains being hooked up there is more then enough to hold them in place. There usually isn't any front to back moving on a set up like that unless your head moves like in your case. As for using a bolt in place of the rivet, I'm not sure how that would work. I know on my Equl-i-zer hitch I wouldn't have room to put a wrench on the nut to tighten it up enough to keep it from moving. What I did was went down to the hardware store and got a couple of different length clevis pins (wasn't sure what size I was going to need) and some heavy duty spacers in different sizes and some thick washers and was able to adjust the head that way. You could probably get the parts through a local hitch shop or order them online. Personaly I didn't feel like waiting for them to order them so I made due with what I could find and it's worked so far.

Phil & Janine & Lady
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Jay D

Thanks again, I will look into something like that as well. I want to get it all set cause we are heading out again this weekend.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
campingcpl

Again your welcome, I'm always glad to help when I can. Just follow the instruction for your particular hitch type that I posted above and you should be in good shape. Just make sure you take your measurments of the truck before you hook up and then after you hook up to make sure you are good on the angle of the head and the number of links in your chains. It might take a couple of times of adjusting the pitch in the head or adjusting the number of links to get it just right. Good luck and have a safe and fun trip!

Phil & Janine & Lady