Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Vidorcom

Washington coast campground

Do any keystone owners have any recommendations on a good beach campground on Washington coast?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Vicorcom -
If you can be a bit more specific as to the area you are thinking about - southern, middle or northern sections ???? Would you be looking at State Parks as well as private CG's?? We've been up and down the WA and Oregon coasts several times and might have some suggestions for you to think about.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Vidorcom

I'm looking anywhere that is beach front with hookups? I am a southern California boy that is used to camping right on beach.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
rudythegreat

Washington is a horrible place for beach side camping. This State would not allow private enterprise to put in camp grounds near the beachs, so the State puts them in. That means there are beach campgrounds (HaHa) but they are set so far back from the ocean it's stupid to call them beach side campgrounds. By the time you navigate threw the protective dunes and thousands of feet of Saw Grass, you will need 911 for yourself. I live here and if you find the place you are looking for, please e-mail me. THAT BEING said. My wife and I stay at Pacicific Beach State Campground in Pacific Beach WA. Electricity only We have a 318SAB and we can last 8 days before a refurbishment, which is right at the entrance to this little jewel on the coast. In the fall you can throw a rock into the tide water as it comes in. You have to call or go online 9 months in advance for your selected days. We are there 6 times a summer.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidorcom View Post
Do any keystone owners have any recommendations on a good beach campground on Washington coast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudythegreat View Post
Washington is a horrible place for beach side camping. This State would not allow private enterprise to put in camp grounds near the beachs, so the State puts them in. That means there are beach campgrounds (HaHa) but they are set so far back from the ocean it's stupid to call them beach side campgrounds. By the time you navigate threw the protective dunes and thousands of feet of Saw Grass, you will need 911 for yourself. I live here and if you find the place you are looking for, please e-mail me. THAT BEING said. My wife and I stay at Pacicific Beach State Campground in Pacific Beach WA. Electricity only We have a 318SAB and we can last 8 days before a refurbishment, which is right at the entrance to this little jewel on the coast. In the fall you can throw a rock into the tide water as it comes in. You have to call or go online 9 months in advance for your selected days. We are there 6 times a summer.
Sorry, but Washington SP are a ways back from the beach.
Come on down to Oregon, Nahelam Bay, and Cape Lookout are on the Beach. Nahelam Bay is power and water only with a dump station, Cape Lookout has some full Hookups, and some Power/H2O hookups.

PS: Cape Disappointment is on the Beach, and just across the river from Fort Stevens SP (Oregon) 2nd largest in the US.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
jsmith948

Spent 6 days at Cape Disappointment this May. FHU & sites are reasonably level
Sites are set up in daisy wheels. Our site wasn't right on the beach, but I made it on a crutches and our young grandsons made the trek with no problem. Lots of driftwood and black sand beaches. Just remember you are in the Pacific Northwest when considering beach weather, wind, etc. Nice little store at the park entrance and it's only a few miles over the bridge to Astoria. IMHO, Wash & Or do a good job at their state campgrounds
Jack

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
rudythegreat

Thank you from sour on WA. I'll look into those three Oregon Coast places myself.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
azlee56

lol, why on earth is it called cape disappointment? I'd think I would rename it.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

There are a few private campgrounds around Ocean Shores and Ocean City that are close to the beach but as other posters have said, almost all of the WA State Parks located along the west and north coasts wouldn't lend themselves to "camping right on the beach". You have to walk a fair distance to get to the water from any that I have been to. They are, however, within walking distance but you really don't see much, if any, of the ocean from the campsites.
They are, by in large, well-maintained but not quite as nice as those found along Oregon's coast which are, IMO, hard to beat - but also hard to get into unless you have made reservations well in advance.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
sagebel

I'm not sure how far North you want to travel but there is a county park right on the Straight of Juan de Fuca. Salt Creek has sites over looking the Straight and access to the beach and tide pools. Water and Electric with a dump station. Only down fall (for some) is that it is a dry campground. No alcohol. The park is just West of Port Angles, WA.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
NWTTrailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
lol, why on earth is it called cape disappointment? I'd think I would rename it.
http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=115

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selec...disappointment

Real nice place to spend some time lots of things to do or just sit a listen to the waves
NWTTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Vidorcom

Thank you!