Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
JoeofNSB

Question Central Vacuum

I'm wondering what is the best of the central vacuum systems for 5er's and what everyone's likes, dislikes and opinions are. I have two places in mind to mount the unit - one next to generator and one next to stairs. I have only seen the Dirt Devil model and the Intervac unit.

Your thought are always appreciated!!!

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
geo

Joe -

We have the Dirt Devil and are quite happy with it. Yes, it was Keystone installed and came with the Alpine, but it is still a good unit. We use the Dirt Devil at home, so makes sense . . .

I don't know the internal layout of your RV, but I can tell you one item about the RV Dirt Devil. It is LOUD! You will not want to mount the central unit inside the living space, and if you do, get some ear protection!

As you are installing it yourself, you will probably do this anyway, but . . . Make sure all the hose connections are tight. The hose connection for the living space of our Alpine came off sometime between build and first use. I took the plate off, retrieved the hose, put it back on the plate, and used a little foil furnace tape to secure it. That should take care of it for the next million years!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Maxzd

Joe - one of the first installations I did when I bought my new 5th wheel. I bought the dirt devil cv950le from camping world. I liked the reputation of dirt devil and this particular configuration included hose and all the attachments.

I installed the vacuum in the basement storage area up out of the way on the underside. I was able to connect thru to the inside of the unit and install the wall outlet. Very happy worth installation and comes in handy during longer trips to keep the unit clean.

Here is a link to pictures and info on the installation. Good luck with your decision!

http://www.sabyland.com/?p=14

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
JoeofNSB

Thanks to Ron and Maxzd for their input. I have installed a Nutone central vacuum in the stick house I live in now so, except for the close quarters of the 5er I should be ok. I was hoping to get some input from someone who had an Intervac unit (especially regarding the noise issue) but from all I have read everyone seems to like the Dirt Devil. I'm not in a big hurry so I may wait until I see if there is more feed back. Thanks again guys!!!

Joe

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
badge4

We have the Intervac factory installed on our 2011 Retreat and love it. The noise level is tolerable but from what I have seen the Dirt Devil might be a bit more practical in terms of design.
badge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Geoffwhite18

We have the intervac factory installed under the sink. Its no louder tgan any normal vac. Honestly we dont use it. We bought an upright. However having the vac installed inside makes it much easier to empty the bag when its full.
Geoffwhite18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

We have the intervac factory install works fine for normal stuff but the the big dog alyeska is a longhair malamute!!!! outside of a dyson is the only thing that works on her shedding. can't fault the intervac. noise level is ok too. i could say it sucks but that's what it should do ha ha ha!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
dea3851

vacuum cleaner

HI, also have the intervac, installed it myself easy job works great, long hose and lots of atachments, have a 2010 cougar 318SAB put it at the end of counter by sink,DON from Ludington Michigan
dea3851 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
central, vacuum