Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Thrasher

City water hose storage

Anybody find the best way of storing city water connection hose? I've seen everything from a trash bag to a plastic Christmas wreath box. Suggestions?
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Some folks have gone to using the coiled "non-kink" type of hose which has been described as "self-storing" --- whatever that means. I just use a Rubbermaid bin for my hoses and other plumbing stuff. When I can find them, I use 2 hose wraps which are supposed to keep the hose wrapped up in a nice, neat and orderly shape for easy storage. Most of the time I can never find these little devils, so I try to wrap / coil it up as best I can, toss it in the storage compartment, and quickly close the door before it springs back out.
As you know, these hoses and other plastic stuff take on a life and shape of their own and I often end up turning myself and the hose in circles trying to get the darn thing to forget it is a Slinky. Gosh, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!!
Haven't tried the trash bag or the wreath box but they both sound promising!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I bought 2 of the "no kink" 25' hoses. One I keep in the front storagecompartment still in the original packaging. It's never been a "burden" The other, I keep coiled up in the side storage compartment, right by the city water inlet. That's also where I keep the 30Amp electric cord and the sewer hose adapters. Yeah, I know, all in the same compartment? Yup. The water hose has the "L" adapter and the pressure regulator on it, I coil it all up and connect both ends (to keep sand, dirt and critters out) and hang it on one of the $1.49 hangers that's shaped like a "J". I coil the electric cord, hang it on another of those hangers. Both of them are up and out of the way. I went to "Everything's a Dollar" and bought 10 of their 2 1/5 gallon buckets with the rope handle. These "buck buckets" make excellent "spillproof" storage for the one sewer hose fitting I travel with. When I camp, the end caps from the sewer hose goes in that bucket, the fitting goes on the hose and into the ground.

All told, I think that spare water hose is still in the front compartment, I really have never needed it so I think it's behind the propane tanks, but not completley sure of that. The side compartment is well organized with hangers for the "long coiled things" and a bucket for the "stinky things"

Of course I rinse the stinky off, but still don't want it just laying around spreading its stuff......

Wherever you store your water hose, I'd suggest connecting both ends together to keep the inside clean. If you use a regulator, store it there so it's always handy.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
campingcpl

I have two rubbermaid tubs that I use. I have one for all my fresh water and one for my sewer connections and flushing hose. I also use the no kink hoses and a couple of the canopy ball bungee's to hold everything nice and neet. I also connect both ends of the hose to keep water from draining out into the tub and to keep dirt and stuff out of them.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Jay Pat

HD-Big Box Store has what you need. They are orange plastic clamps, adjustable, reuseable, quick release and come in different sizes. I use them for water hoses, extension cords and tv cable.
I also, use plastic tubs.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Thrasher

Thanks for the replies! I too use the plastic tubs and was looking to see if there was anything else out there.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
cumminsdad08

ummm, i just wrap it up and shove it in my only storage compartment. i don't have much, maybe 150 feet. ( or 50 foot and a 100 foot). i did spend a lot of time as a pool boy when i was in school, so i know a few tricks on wraping up hose's. i don't even use any kind of holding device, just coil and stuff it in. it usually stays and it usually unrolls nice too.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
The Sod Father

I have a few hoses in varying lengths. I also have a funnel, in line water filter, spray gun, pressure regulator, Y adapter, etc. Lots of water goodies. I keep them all in a gym bag in the front storage compartment. The beauty of using something that is soft sided vs. a hard Rubbermaid container is that it gives when you try to shove something else in the storage compartment. I get bags like this all the time when I go to conferences, so it is a zero expense for me.

BTW - I highly recommend the "fold flat" type hoses. Kinda hard to come by but they take up very little room. I have one that wraps around an extension cord plastic wraper thingy. I have another one that came with its own reel. It was less than $10 from Target as an end of season clearance item. It is not white, but yellow in color. It is, however, clearly marked for RV use (as well as regular garden hose use).

The only draw back to a flat fold hose is you need pressure to keep the hose expanded. If you have a bladder type water carrier that goes on the roof of your tow vehicle, you will need a traditional type hose. Which I also have.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote