Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
jq1031

2nd friction bar!

Before I purchase that 2nd friction sway bar for my Reese WD hitch set up I need to know how to mount it on the left side as these Reese friction sway controls all sceem only mountable on the right side. Any help would be appreciated.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

When I used 2 sway control bars, I turned the left one upside down. ie: the front goes to the back and the back couples to the front. That's the only way you can get the handle to remain on the outside. I found that although a second bar did help some. the cam type antisway was much more effective. I finally gave up trying to tow with double sway bars and bought the Reese cam antisway and that solved my problem. Actually, when I towed my 34' Alumalite with the 154" wheelbase 93 F250 I never had a problem, but when I traded for a 99 F250 superduty with the short bed, 141" wheelbase, that's when my sway problems began. There's a lot to be said for towing a conventional trailer with as long a wheelbase as you can find.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
OntarioRay

I think that if you look around - or have your dealer look around, you will find that there is a proper left side friction anti-sway bar even if it's a different brand. We originally had one on the right side but then when we bought a longer, heavier trailer we had one added to the left side. You can't interchange them because they are designed for either the left or right side. If I recall correctly, one of them is a Draw-tite.
OntarioRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioRay View Post
I think that if you look around - or have your dealer look around, you will find that there is a proper left side friction anti-sway bar even if it's a different brand. We originally had one on the right side but then when we bought a longer, heavier trailer we had one added to the left side. You can't interchange them because they are designed for either the left or right side. If I recall correctly, one of them is a Draw-tite.
Please review the following websites:

Pro series sway bar # 83660:
http://www.reeseprod.com/content/dow...ion/N83660.pdf

On page 2 in the installation instructions it states: "NOTE: For left hand installation, remove slide bar (6), and reinstall upside down."

Reese standard friction sway bar # 26660:
http://www.reeseprod.com/content/dow...ion/N26660.pdf

The installation instructions do not specifically state the same method of adapting for left side use, but in the features it states "can be used on left or right side of trailer"

Draw-Tite Sway bar # 3400:
http://www.reeseprod.com/content/dow...tion/N3400.pdf

The installation instructions state: "NOTE: For left hand installation, remove slide bar (6), and reinstall upside down."

Please note that Reese, Draw-tite and Pro Series are all on the same
Reese Towing Products" website, indicating to me that they are all owned by the same company. As best as I remember, all the parts of the Draw-tite and Reese Standard series are interchangable.

Harbor Freight Haul Master Sway Control # 96462:

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...6999/96462.pdf
Figure E (top of page 8): "For left hand installation, remove the Slide Bar (14), and reinstall it upside down."

In order to use any of the three major friction sway bar assemblies (or the HaulMaster version) on the left side, all you need to do is take the friction bar (6) out of the clamp device, turn it upside down, reinstall it and put the sway control assembly on the other side of the trailer. The only thing you will notice different about the installation is that the decal/sticker on the sway control will be upside down. There is no left or right sided sway control device that I am aware of.

I have not seen any "left hand" friction sway control bars. If you have access to any information regarding the existance of such a device, please post a link to it so I can review this "new animal" Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
cumminsdad08

you know i was thinking the same thing. all you would have to do is turn the slide around, simple enough. i never looked in to it, but i have seen lots of people do it, so i figured it wasn't to big a deal.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsdad08 View Post
you know i was thinking the same thing. all you would have to do is turn the slide around, simple enough. i never looked in to it, but i have seen lots of people do it, so i figured it wasn't to big a deal.
As I come to find that's correct. Also, the adjustment handle can be reversed so the arm is on top not the bottom. Having done that it will be identical to other friction bar except that the writting will upside down!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Txoutback

I added a second Pro series today and it solved my sway problem. Slid it out and turned it over.

On Edit: I disassembled and reversed the pressure plate this morning, placing the tension arm on top as jq1031 stated. Turned a right side sway bar into a left. I have to say that installing a second bar made a markable improvement. I'm sure I'll need to adjust it again now that I disassembled it but a few more tweeks and and it will be right as rain. I was starting to think this F-150 EB wasn't enough TV for the TT but the tow yesterday with the second bar relieved that concern. I'm starting to become a Skip believer

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote