Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
jerres

Question for the Ford guys

Took our camper and new to me truck (2006 F350 drw 6.0 diesel) out for a test run today. Truck pulls the camper, 26' 5th wheel, like it not even back there. I noticed the the engine fan clutch was coming on when I stop and start off again. Is this normal? This doesn't happen when not towing the camper.
jerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't have a diesel (any more) but when I did, the fan would kick in more when towing than when not towing. In fact, I can't remember hearing the fan kick in unless we were towing. Our diesels (had two of em) ran so cool without a load, they seldom even warmed up driving the 5 miles to work. I always had concern that they never reached operating temps unless we used them on extended trips. I'd say what you experienced is normal operation.

BTW, the fan clutch is a temp controlled viscous drive which kicks in when the temps behind the radiator increase. That doesn't occur with light loads nearly as often as with heavy loads (towing). It also is less likely to occur while in motion since air flow through the radiator will help cool the area around the fan clutch keeping it below the temps needed to activate it while driving.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
raytronx

My fan clutch rarely engages while not towing, but when towing it cycles often as the temp rises on hills and if I'm pushing it speed wise.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
jerres

Thanks, this is my first diesel. I've had gasoline trucks that would do that but only after towing long distances. Test run was only about 20 miles but outside temperature was in the 90's.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to be careful shutting off your diesel after a long climb or a long hot run. The turbo's get extrememly hot and the motor needs to idle for a bit before shutdown so you don't "cook" the oil in the turbo bearings. On mine, there were cautions in the owner's manual to allow cool down before shutting off the engine to prevent damage to the turbo bearings.

I see the newer Fords have an option to leave the truck running and it will automatically shut off when it's safe to do so. Just use some common sense and you'll be fine.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
jerres

The cool down warning is in my manual too, 7 to 10 minutes. I let it idle while unhooking the trailer, should have been long enough. The auto shut down would be nice.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
photolab

Hot and Cold Diesels

I too have a Ford Super Duty diesel pickup, a crew cab F-250also a 6.0 buy an 05. I've not paid much attention to the fan clutching, but it is true that diesel engines are very unlike gas engines, in that the air inlet is always wide open, and the injectors deliver more or less fuel as needed for the job at hand. Heavier load= burn more fuel "build a bigger fire". Bigger fire= more heat.

Use of air conditioning also will require the fan to run, or the a/c condenser will overheat and do damage. I'll have to research it a bit, but I think the fan clutch must have a control beyond just the air coming through the radiator, which includes the a/c condenser, turbo aftercooler, transmission cooler, etc.

Enjoy your new truck, and remember the 100,000 mile engine warranty transfers to new owners.
photolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
cumminsdad08

what you guys are refering to is a turbo timer, some tuners have this feature in them when you buy them, if not, i am almost sure that you can purchase this seprate. it lets the truck run for a set amount of time before shutting itself down, but imho, its a waste. anytime you are running that hard to heat the turbo up to a dangerous level, you will have plenty to do before you shut it off. ie, unhooking trailer, stretching your legs for a bit, and my favorite, trying to get the kids shoes and socks back on and getting them undone from there seats.

sorry to run off topic, but just wanted to throw that turbo timer thing in there for those that didn't know about it.

also, my duramax (work truck) has an electric fan that will turn on when i stop, and then turn off soon after starting again. mostly when running heavy on hot days.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #9
2011 keystone

and my favorite, trying to get the kids shoes and socks back on and getting them undone from there seats.

That is to funny I have the same problem lol
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote