Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Txoutback

Exclamation Weigh stations and RV's

Can I pull into any of the truck weigh stations on the freeway with my TV-TT and get weighed. How does one go about getting actual total weight? I know what the truck, myself and DW weighs so the rest would be TT and whats in the truck bed. This gives you everything but actual tounge weight.

Thanks

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
kenn209

As far as I know the weigh stations along the freeway are for Commerical trucks only, the weighmaster might be a little grumpy if you go through there, I always use or look for CAT scales. Usually at truck stops. go to

CAT to find a local scale, cost about 8 bucks. Bring a step stool to the scale cause the button to call the weighmaster is aliitle high
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
hankaye

Txoutback, Howdy;

Most truck stops have a scale. Alot of Moving companys do as well. If you live near a Grain Silo (the big ones near the railroad, they should have one. Scrap yards have them, Coal tipples have them.

Always talk to the weight master first to let them know what you wish to accomplish. If they are busy ask them when is a better time to come by to do all the things you would like to accomplish. Presuming you would like to; weight the full unit,
the truck off scale with trailer on scale,
the trailer seperately,
the truck seperately,
just the driver's side trailer wheels
then just the rear driver's side trailer wheel.

You can see how involved it can be IF you want to know what each axel weighs and the weight on each wheel.

All depends on what you want to know...

hankaye

Stay off of the State Scales along side the highway unless you are directed on to them.. If you are overweight they WILL ticket you and You will not be allowed to go anywhere till you meet the weight specs...Ticket and fine to follow.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We have a truck stop with a CAT scale about 15 miles from the house on I75 near Grayling. They are very accommodating to RV's and will help you get weighed and help you get everything figured out. If you go to the CAT website, they have a pretty good "instruction page" to show you how to position on the scale platforms (there are three) to get the weights needed for specific axles on the TV and RV. Then, it's just a matter of unhitching and weighing the RV, then the TV and you've got it all.

Cost is no longer $8. It's $9.50 for the first weight and then $1 for every "reweigh" that you do the same day, so to weigh the rig, RV and TV would be a total of $11.50. You get computerized weigh tickets for each and that "permanent record" is really nice, once you get back home and start trying to figure everything out again. LOL

As for DOT or State scales on the highways, some will weigh you if they aren't busy, some just want you GONE!!! and aren't bashful about telling you to leave. There's a thread on here (or Good Sam Forum) about this topic and several people stated that when the scales are closed, they still work and you can drive across them to see (for yourself) what you weigh. I've not done it, so I can't say for sure if any or all of them work that way.

You might be able to call your state DOT and see what they tell you, I'm sure it's different in every state, so Michigan information would be of no help to you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
hankaye

JRTJH, Howdy;

WOW... been awhile I guess... last time I did a truck on a CAT scale it was $5.00 and $0.00 for re-weighs...

Reckon everyone has to pay a little more for the same-ole, same-ole...

hankaye

BUT, ... If you get in an accident or whatever, that CAT scale ticket will show the Insurance folks you were within limits.
They guarentee their Accuracy and will go to court with truckers that get busted by portable scales or the permament ones.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
Houndie Dog

Just my 2 cents, but I drove over-the-road trucks for a spell when I was in between jobs and my advise would be to just stay clear of ANY state scales. I have never been fined or in trouble with them, so I'm not disgruntled, but they are not the friendliest folks for whatever reason. Maybe because they have to deal with grouchy drivers all day, don't know.
I weigh my fifthwheel at the TA truckstop and they are always very friendly.
Hensly TS3 trailer-saver hitch
KVH TracVision R4SL
3 Basset Hounds "Lucy, Ethel, & Fred"
https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...vado/coach.jpg
Houndie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Bob Landry

Agreed. The less you have to deal with anyone in the government "Service", the better day you are going to have.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
chuck&gail

Sand and gravel sellers also usually have scales. If nobody is needing weighed for business, they often weigh for free. If you want a certified weight as mentioned above, it costs a few bucks.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #9
Txoutback

THanks for the tips. According to the CAT link there is one located about 20 miles from me. I will drive by there on my way out on a trip, call before I haul.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
ktmracer

In oregon when the weigh stations are "closed" the exit is open and scales and overhead readout are still on and ODOT doesn't have any objection for folks to stop and use the scales. I stop at them periodically and get my weights, it's easy and since they are closed, I can take my time with each axle if I want. Any other states that keep the scales on when they are closed??

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
DTJ9610

We just finished a trip from Buffalo, NY to Gettysburg, PA and I did hop on one of the CAT scales about half way down. So the weight was with the Truck full of fuel and people/goods and the trailer. The truck weight was slightly over it's GVWR by about 200# but under the GCWR by 600#. It was nice to finally get a weight.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote