Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
ems330

Towing New 298BHS with an F-150

I am purchasing a new Cougar 298 BHS T/T. I will be pulling it with a 2011 Ford 1500 4X4 with the Max Trailering package. The towing rating according to Ford is 11,100. The trailer dry weight is 7900. I already have a equalizer setup and sway control bar.

My question is should I do anything else to the truck to pull this trailer? And is this going to be enough truck to pull this trailer?
ems330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
richf28

I am towing a Hornet 28rls with a dry wt of 6800 lbs. with the 2011 F-150 V6 ecoboost. The truck tows it with no effort even on hills. Average around 12.8 mpg on interstate towing. I've had to be careful because I have found myself running down the road a couple times at an easy 70 mph. I am still working on a swaying issue though. I'm not totally sold on the built in sway control yet. I'll be double checking my hitch assembly this weekend.
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
Txoutback

I tow a 7600 lb 277RL with the EBoost SCab as well and found the same. Tows with power to spare but will sway if the WD isn't adjusted right. I set it up by having the TT and TV on level surface, place a level on the tounge, adjust height to be just tounge high, tighten up the WD and lower it. If the bubble is level it will tow well, otherwise it will sway and bounce some. I think its all in getting the tounge weight right. My driveway is not level so I have to do the final adjustments in the street. I have a friction sway bar and I tighted it fairly tight.
Dave

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
ems330

I test drove the Eco-Boost truck and really liked it. I just didnt know how the turbos would last in the long term. Its just me, but I'd rather have the power in the engine and not have to rely on the turbos to boost it. I may regret it later on with the mileage but am getting 14.5 on highway now.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #5
richf28

I preveously towed the camper with an avalance and it couldn't cut it. Bought the Ecoboost and have been very happy Took the truck and trailer to the trailer dealer to have it setup proparly and they more or less peaked out the window and said it looked good. I guess if you want something done right do it yourself. I know the height differences between the two trucks are different.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems330 View Post
I test drove the Eco-Boost truck and really liked it. I just didnt know how the turbos would last in the long term. Its just me, but I'd rather have the power in the engine and not have to rely on the turbos to boost it. I may regret it later on with the mileage but am getting 14.5 on highway now.
I'm not sure that your concern about turbo reliability is warranted. Turbos have been around in very much the same form in diesel engines for years with very little problem. The biggest problem with any turbo seems to be cooling and that is made worse when you pull into a rest stop after a long hard pull and just turn off the ignition without giving the engine time to pump oil through the turbos to cool them down. In fact, Ford even has an option on their diesel trucks where the engine keeps running (after you shut it off and leave) and it will monitor the temp and shut the engine off after the turbos have cooled down.

The turbo setup in the EcoBoost is very similar to the turbo setup in the diesel, so as for reliability, it's about as durable as the rest of the engine if not more durable

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
Took the truck and trailer to the trailer dealer to have it setup proparly and they more or less peaked out the window and said it looked good.
I had the same experience. read the stickies, read the hitch instructions, and go down the road with peace of mind.

I'm constantly amazed at the posts I read about dealers not setting up a hitch correctly. How can you sell something you can't install?
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
ems330

The dealer went over the entire hitch setup and I was doing it tight. Guess will just have to get used to sway in new truck.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #9
Flyguy

Here's two articles on adjusting the WDH properly; http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Towing/H...ng%20Hitch.pdf and this one; http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Towing/T...0Procedure.pdf Hope this helps!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
ems330

I have towed this trailer with thispickup several times but only about 30 miles to and from campgrounds. I would like some more input before I tow it 250 miles on interstate and in heavy traffic.I know i probably got too much trailer for this pickup, not weight wise, but sway wise.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
richf28

Unhappy

I have had nothing but trouble all summer towing with my combination of TV and trailer. I have been to 5 dealers, installed new LT tires, air bags, heavier tow bars and various setups. Bought a tongue weight scale and have totally weighed everything. In perfect weather it hauls great. Any winds at all it's a mess to deal with. Took the unit 1200 miles to Florida a month ago to leave for the winter. We hit some tough weather and don't mind saying I needed to go to confession for the words I was using. LOL. Went to a couple RV dealers and considered taking a loss on my entire combination toward a motorhome. Didn't do it but I am now checking into buying a Hensley hitch. Since buying my camper in spring I have invested over $40,000 including a new tow vehicle to get a comfortable haul with no luck. Hensley is the last resort I guess.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
Bob Landry

That truck should pull that trailer with ease, but you aren't going to get the results you want with a friction anti-sway bar. It's just not made to handle a trailer that size. Don't rely on the anti-sway in the truck either. It will not operate the trailer brakes independently. A properly setup Reese with dual cam will do it, but you are probably going to have a problem finding a dealer that can set it up. Go to rv.net and read the stickie in the towing section about setting up a WD and anti-sway. An Equalizer or Hensley will certainly fix your problem, but thhe Reese is cheaper and easier to set up, at least it was for me. it's not hard to set up, it just takes time and understanding of how to do it. I'm pulling an Outback 277RL with a 1/2 ton truck with no issues. It's 8000 lbs loaded and a 1000 lbs on the hitch and yes, I feel a push when a truck passes me but that's normal and a lot different than the "dog wagging" you are experiencing.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #13
richf28

I also have the Reese Dual Cam. I weighed the camper loaded and it is 7690 LBS. Toungue weight is 1200 LBS. It pulls great in perfect weather but not if the winds are above 5 mph.. I had one dealer even check the alignment of the axles. I think I read a hole through my computer monitor on different sites for answers. I have measured front and rear drop of the TV and have that fine tuned. I have tried loosening a link and tightening a link. Sure would like to have a solution before I invest another 4 grand on a hitch.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
JimEli

It's not about how much the trailer weighs, or simply the tongue weight.

Read this:
http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks....s_complete.pdf

Play with this:
http://www.towingstabilitystudies.co...udies-game.php

I hope this helps and good luck.
JimEli is offline   Reply With Quote