Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Laredo291OH

Hitching Problem-battery box in way

Hi Dew,

That's a nice looking setup. I do have a question for you, do you have LT rated tires on your Avalanche? Did it tow the 291 ok? We just got our 291 about 2 weeks ago and I'm having trouble towing it with a 2009 Yukon. The Yukon has plenty of power but the sway of the trailer is terrible. I have a Reese Dual Cam that I'm pretty sure is set up correctly. I used the same hitch setup with the 291 behind my 2004 GMC 1500 and it didn't sway at all. What I'm not sure of is if it's the short wheelbase, 116" of the Yukon, or if it is the P series tires. Your Avalanche is only about 14" longer in the wheelbase, not sure if that is enough to make a difference or not.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
CampDestinations.com

Neuman792,

Your P-series tires might do better with more air pressure. I've been towing with mine at 40psi and it helped a lot with sway. I also have the Reese dual cam WD hitch.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
DEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuman792 View Post
Hi Dew,

That's a nice looking setup. I do have a question for you, do you have LT rated tires on your Avalanche? Did it tow the 291 ok? We just got our 291 about 2 weeks ago and I'm having trouble towing it with a 2009 Yukon. The Yukon has plenty of power but the sway of the trailer is terrible. I have a Reese Dual Cam that I'm pretty sure is set up correctly. I used the same hitch setup with the 291 behind my 2004 GMC 1500 and it didn't sway at all. What I'm not sure of is if it's the short wheelbase, 116" of the Yukon, or if it is the P series tires. Your Avalanche is only about 14" longer in the wheelbase, not sure if that is enough to make a difference or not.
Thanks for the comment on the setup.
In answer to your question I do not have LT rated tires, I have P rated. I do run them at the max pressure rated on the tire (45psi). My first tow was not too long (50 miles) but it towed no different than my 25ft Startcraft 235SBS hybrid which weighed 4000lbs. I was passed by a number of 18wheelers with not too much sway from them as we crossed paths. I hope to go out in a week and a half about 100miles away so I will see how well it works then. Possibly the wheelbase is making the difference.

You made a comment above that intrigues me. Is your 2011 291 with the new front cap like mine or the old front cap. In the towing section of this Forum I asked a question about the Reese HP Dual Cam setup. My dealership told me they could not install the HP Dual Cam on the new Laredo due to the fact that the endcap covers up too much of the 'A frame' of the tongue. Consequently I have the old mechanical slider sway control (not my preference as I wanted the HP Dual Cam)

If you have the new end cap, can you send me a picture of it so I can show my dealer?
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
DTJ9610

I have the 303TG with the new cap and the dealer initially told me I could use the same setup. A couple days later they said they were wrong with the cap/battery set up. I had the choice to go with a specially designed Equilizer (I think it was) for $700 or they could move the battery and use the Reese for $200.... I'm sure you can imagine the option I picked. They had to weld the battery bracket up behind the jack. Hope that helps. I'll try and post a pic tonight or tomorrow.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote