Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Ram 1500-Cougar High Country 319RLS followup

When we purchased the new 319RLS I posted here with numerous questions about towing with the 1500 and my concerns. We have completed our initial trip of 1250 miles to FL and wanted to let you know that the 1500 did fine.

The GCVWR and GVWR are right at the limit as well as tongue weight but it did well. It does have AirLift 1000 air bags. I traveled at around 65mph max and we usually ran about 26-2800 rpm locked in 4th gear and tow/haul mode on. We did hit around 4200 rpm a few times on hills but only for a short time. We had one extended 4200rpm session when we were bucking a 30mph headwind and hills. All in all it wasn't nearly the problem I had worried about. Cross winds are sometimes a problem but the Equalizer 12,000 lb hitch/sway work really well. Fuel mileage isn't so good at about 7-8 mpg.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
So Cal CPA

I tow my cougar 28rbs with my ram 1500 with airbags with no problems at all. I don't think I'd want to go any more though. That sounds like a lot of trailer for the 1500. I'd be looking for a 1 ton diesel, but happy camping and stay safe....
Old 05-02-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
.... we usually ran about 26-2800 rpm locked in 4th gear and tow/haul mode on. We did hit around 4200 rpm a few times on hills but only for a short time. We had one extended 4200rpm session when we were bucking a 30mph headwind and hills....
I won't weigh-in on on the 1/2t, 3/4t, 1t suitability for a particular trailer. If you're happy, go for it.

On the RPMs.... Let 'er rip!! These engines are designed to rev. Too often we get lulled into thinking that 1600 RPM is "normal" since our big horsepower engines now have multiple over drives.... But that's unloaded. It's quite OK to go or stay in the mid-upper RPM range to make these trucks "work" no matter the "duty" classification of the truck.

Quote:
.... .Fuel mileage isn't so good at about 7-8 mpg.
Meh... Smiles per gallon is always high.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As So Cal CPA noted this is about all the trailer that my truck wants or should carry - and we loaded lightly and carefully. I am seriously looking at a 3/4 ton Ram with the 6.4L Hemi. Everyone says the 3/4 ton platform is so much more stable than the 1/2 ton and that's true I'm sure. All I know is that I drove one for a year and couldn't stand up straight after driving it for a couple of hours because it beat you up so bad so didn't want anymore of that. They say they are much better now. I'd love to have the torque of the diesel but cannot justify the additional initial cost and ongoing expense of one when the 5.7 did such a good job on this first leg (I'm thinking trying to pull Wolf Creek Pass might be a different story . I'll see how it goes going back to TX on May 7.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
So Cal CPA

Quote:
As So Cal CPA noted this is about all the trailer that my truck wants or should carry - and we loaded lightly and carefully. I am seriously looking at a 3/4 ton Ram with the 6.4L Hemi. Everyone says the 3/4 ton platform is so much more stable than the 1/2 ton and that's true I'm sure. All I know is that I drove one for a year and couldn't stand up straight after driving it for a couple of hours because it beat you up so bad so didn't want anymore of that. They say they are much better now. I'd love to have the torque of the diesel but cannot justify the additional initial cost and ongoing expense of one when the 5.7 did such a good job on this first leg (I'm thinking trying to pull Wolf Creek Pass might be a different story . I'll see how it goes going back to TX on May 7.
Sourdough - I have to admit one thing. I test drove the Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel and actually decided to buy the 1500 because of the HUGE difference in ride quality. The power is nice, but I don't live on the road nor do I tow our trailer all the time. Sure the power is nice, and I may upgrade in the future when my tow vehicle is also not my daily driver.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
gtsum2

I just traded my 2013 ram 1500 Laramie for a 2014 ram 3500 srw Laramie ctd....of course the ride is a bit stiffer but it is not that bad. And this is my daily driver also...I drive about 20k per year. You all must have super 1500's or something because while the hemi has power, the suspension and brakes on the 1500 are woefully soft. I towed a good but of miles with my 1500 and while it did ok, it left a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
So Cal CPA

I dunno I am perfectly happy with mine. I tow my Cougar 28rbs at 60 mph at about 1800-1900 rpm all day long loaded with the family and stuff in the bed. Is it a diesel? Heck no but I've climbed some pretty steep and long grades and it's been up to the task so far.

I probably will upgrade to a diesel one day though.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I have to agree with So Cal CPA. While the spring rate of the 1500 is softer than the 2500, which contributes to a much nicer ride, the air bags I installed in the rear help to even that comparison out somewhat. The brakes on the 2500 are approx. 7% larger than the 1500 which isn't much and with a brake controller I don't know if it would be that noticeable. They also make cross drilled and slotted rotors for towing for the 1500 that supposedly increase braking power by 20% which, in theory, would surpass the braking power of the 2500. To me the side to side sway is the biggest weakness of the 1500 and that boils down to the suspension and will be inherent in the lighter components of the 1500. I don't think we have super 1500's, maybe just good ones??

As I stated earlier, I do think that the 2500 is better equipped for towing (obviously) due to the overall strengthened components but that does come at the expense of driving comfort (or it used to). I have a bad back and my wife has two vertebrae fused; spending all day having our backs pounded in a hard riding truck would surely be painful....I'm hoping that when/if we begin our search for a 3/4 ton we find that they really have improved the ride from the 90's models that I drove.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Each person really needs to weigh all the factors included in their specific towing situation to come to the "best compromise" for their needs. I do, however want to caution readers to take other poster's comments as "their personal experience" and not to consider them as always correct for every situation. I believe that if someone has "never towed with a 3/4 ton truck, they can't relate the "better/worse" features when comparing to their experience with their half ton truck.

Some people comment that "my half ton tows perfectly with my trailer" and they have nothing to base that "perfectly" on except the one trailer and the one tow vehicle. Whether they would make the same comment if they had towed with a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton is unanswered. They are basing their experience on just that, "their experience" and it may not be the same opinion as someone who has towed the same trailer with both vehicles and can then "objectively compare" the towability of a specific half ton vs 3/4 ton truck.

Use your own level of comfort, base the numbers on what you see at the scales, don't rely on "he said/she said" information to justify a rig that someone else uses as one that will work for you. Situations vary just as opinions do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
gtsum2

Quote:
I have to agree with So Cal CPA. While the spring rate of the 1500 is softer than the 2500, which contributes to a much nicer ride, the air bags I installed in the rear help to even that comparison out somewhat. The brakes on the 2500 are approx. 7% larger than the 1500 which isn't much and with a brake controller I don't know if it would be that noticeable. They also make cross drilled and slotted rotors for towing for the 1500 that supposedly increase braking power by 20% which, in theory, would surpass the braking power of the 2500. To me the side to side sway is the biggest weakness of the 1500 and that boils down to the suspension and will be inherent in the lighter components of the 1500. I don't think we have super 1500's, maybe just good ones??

As I stated earlier, I do think that the 2500 is better equipped for towing (obviously) due to the overall strengthened components but that does come at the expense of driving comfort (or it used to). I have a bad back and my wife has two vertebrae fused; spending all day having our backs pounded in a hard riding truck would surely be painful....I'm hoping that when/if we begin our search for a 3/4 ton we find that they really have improved the ride from the 90's models that I drove.
I do know there is a big difference between the truck brands as far as payload capacity and ride quality. My 2013 Ram 1500 had a payload capacity sticker on the door of 1061lbs! When I weighed it at a CAT scale with the wife and 6 and 3 year old, we weighed 6380lbs...the GVWR is 6800lbs...so I had 420lbs payload left. My buddies have Ford and Chevy half tons and they have payloads of 1400-1500lbs. I think Ford also has a Max Tow F150 that can get payload up close to 2000. The higher trim level Ram 1500's have horrible payload numbers (mine was a Laramie). I could always really "feel" the trailer behind me on my Ram...the rear suspension was nice around town, but not so nice (for me) with a load on it.

The new 2014 Ram 2500 has a redesigned suspension and uses coils and some other things in the back and rides quite nice...with decent payload numbers that are about the same as Chevy and Ford 3/4 tons. My 2014 3500 Megacab Cummins with single rear wheel has a payload sticker of 4074lbs....it certainly rides stiffer than the new 2500's, but it is not bad at all. Check out the 3/4 ton rams...if you have not been in one in awhile you might be surprised
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
theasphaltrv'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I believe that if someone has "never towed with a 3/4 ton truck, they can't relate the "better/worse" features when comparing to their experience with their half ton truck.

Some people comment that "my half ton tows perfectly with my trailer" and they have nothing to base that "perfectly" on except the one trailer and the one tow vehicle. Whether they would make the same comment if they had towed with a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton is unanswered. They are basing their experience on just that, "their experience" and it may not be the same opinion as someone who has towed the same trailer with both vehicles and can then "objectively compare" the towability of a specific half ton vs 3/4 ton truck.

Use your own level of comfort, base the numbers on what you see at the scales, don't rely on "he said/she said" information to justify a rig that someone else uses as one that will work for you. Situations vary just as opinions do.
Our 1/2 ton did tow our previous 31' TT better, allot better than the wimpy 04, 6.0 F-250 did. Suspension is so much better in our so called 1/2 ton. Now its got the pleasure of pullin our new 5er.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Goingfor9

I have an F150 and tow a 31sqb I like the way the way it tows and am happy with it. It might tow better with a bigger truck but since I don't tow full time the ride quality without the trailer would not be as good. So it tows perfectly for my situation
Goingfor9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Javi

Here's y'all a tape...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8287-500x333.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	5876  
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
Our 1/2 ton did tow our previous 31' TT better, allot better than the wimpy 04, 6.0 F-250 did. Suspension is so much better in our so called 1/2 ton. Now its got the pleasure of pullin our new 5er.
I towed a 26' Airstream and then a 20' Jayco "flatwall" with our 72 Dodge 3/4 ton from Denver across Kansas several times. The Airstream performed well with crosswinds but the Jayco was a "monster to control" Both trailers were "too much" for that Dodge 3/4 ton in the mountains and we were in first gear at 30MPH on most passes.

In 1993 I owned an 87 F150 with the "infamous E4OD transmission". We bought our 34' Holiday Rambler travel trailer. I towed it from the RV dealership (toward home about 30 miles) and stopped at the Ford dealership, parked the trailer and bought a new 93 F250 diesel. There was no comparison to towing with the half ton vs 3/4 ton.

In 2010 I carefully calculated towing weights, GVW, GCWR, payload, pin weights and trailer weights before I bought our F150 and the Springdale fifth wheel. I was extremely satisfied with the performance of that rig. Across Kansas and Nebraska with 30+ MPH sidewinds it was stable and towed well. I was happy and would call the towing performance "GOOD" if not "EXCELLENT"

Then, in 2013 a tree fell on the Springdale and we were given the opportunity to upgrade our trailer. We wanted something a bit larger and ordered our current Cougar 27RKS. That meant a larger truck so we bought our current F250. The Springdale was repaired about a month before the Cougar was built so we were fortunate enough to be able to tow the Springdale on two trips with the new truck. One of those trips was about 800 miles and one was about 300 miles. When I hitched the Springdale to the 3/4 ton truck and drove it home, there was a much different "feel" than with the F150. Once loaded and headed on our first trip, I felt the truck handled the trailer much better than the F150 did. It was much "steadier" much "firmer" and the sway (even though it was minimal) that I had with the F150 was gone.

The classification I had given the F150/Springdale of "GOOD" or "EXCELLENT" I felt was "over-rated" once I'd experienced the difference with the heavier truck. I now would rate the tow experience of the F150 as "OK" to "GOOD". Why the difference? My personal experience. I "thought" that I had a good towing rig because I'd never towed a fifth wheel before and it was MARKEDLY better towing than my experiences with the travel trailers I'd towed, so since it "felt much more stable" to me, it "must the the best I could expect" I felt that way (and you can check my previous posts from a couple of years ago) and defended half ton towing with a passion. I still think it's a "good" way to tow, but it's not "AS GOOD" as towing with a heavier truck.

Just as people who have always towed with a single rear wheel 1 ton will say they are "good to go" once they experience the added stability of a dual rear wheel setup, nearly all of them will say that "they never realized how much better it tows"

All I'm saying in my post to which you responded is that unless you've experienced "BOTH" you really can't establish an objective position based on part of the towing experience.... I know my eyes were opened when I had the opportunity to tow the same trailer with both a half ton and a 3/4 ton. There is a marked difference in stability, in towing capability and in handling/ease of driving.

As for comparing an "older 3/4 ton" to a "newer half ton" it's apples and oranges. When comparing my 3/4 ton Dodge to my F150, the half ton had a longer chassis, it was wider, taller, heavier, had stabilitiy control, anti-skid, tow rated transmission, more HP, more torque, bigger GCWR, bigger brakes (all disc vs all drum) 6 speed transmission vs 3 speed "load flight". The only "advantages" to the 3/4 ton were bigger payload and heavier GVW. There really was no way to "stack up those two trucks for an objective comparison.

All I'm saying is that it's difficult for anyone who has only towed with a half ton to "know" what a 3/4 ton (of comparable technology) feels like when the same travel trailer is behind the two trucks for a "true towing comparison."

Someone who buys their first trailer, has "any" vehicle to use for towing (whether it be a mini-pickup or a 1 ton dually), and posts that "on our way home our rig tows great", really hasn't the experience to know what different vehicles will do with that same trailer, so their experience is limited as is their "objective opinion about what "great really means"...... I know that in my personal situation, after 40 years of towing trailers with various trucks, given the experience to "feel the difference" in the same Springdale behind both trucks, the choice was a "no brainer" for me. Your opinion and your experience may differ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I towed a 26' Airstream and then a 20' Jayco "flatwall" with our 72 Dodge 3/4 ton from Denver across Kansas several times. The Airstream performed well with crosswinds but the Jayco was a "monster to control" Both trailers were "too much" for that Dodge 3/4 ton in the mountains and we were in first gear at 30MPH on most passes.

In 1993 I owned an 87 F150 with the "infamous E4OD transmission". We bought our 34' Holiday Rambler travel trailer. I towed it from the RV dealership (toward home about 30 miles) and stopped at the Ford dealership, parked the trailer and bought a new 93 F250 diesel. There was no comparison to towing with the half ton vs 3/4 ton.

In 2010 I carefully calculated towing weights, GVW, GCWR, payload, pin weights and trailer weights before I bought our F150 and the Springdale fifth wheel. I was extremely satisfied with the performance of that rig. Across Kansas and Nebraska with 30+ MPH sidewinds it was stable and towed well. I was happy and would call the towing performance "GOOD" if not "EXCELLENT"

Then, in 2013 a tree fell on the Springdale and we were given the opportunity to upgrade our trailer. We wanted something a bit larger and ordered our current Cougar 27RKS. That meant a larger truck so we bought our current F250. The Springdale was repaired about a month before the Cougar was built so we were fortunate enough to be able to tow the Springdale on two trips with the new truck. One of those trips was about 800 miles and one was about 300 miles. When I hitched the Springdale to the 3/4 ton truck and drove it home, there was a much different "feel" than with the F150. Once loaded and headed on our first trip, I felt the truck handled the trailer much better than the F150 did. It was much "steadier" much "firmer" and the sway (even though it was minimal) that I had with the F150 was gone.

The classification I had given the F150/Springdale of "GOOD" or "EXCELLENT" I felt was "over-rated" once I'd experienced the difference with the heavier truck. I now would rate the tow experience of the F150 as "OK" to "GOOD". Why the difference? My personal experience. I "thought" that I had a good towing rig because I'd never towed a fifth wheel before and it was MARKEDLY better towing than my experiences with the travel trailers I'd towed, so since it "felt much more stable" to me, it "must the the best I could expect" I felt that way (and you can check my previous posts from a couple of years ago) and defended half ton towing with a passion. I still think it's a "good" way to tow, but it's not "AS GOOD" as towing with a heavier truck.

Just as people who have always towed with a single rear wheel 1 ton will say they are "good to go" once they experience the added stability of a dual rear wheel setup, nearly all of them will say that "they never realized how much better it tows"

All I'm saying in my post to which you responded is that unless you've experienced "BOTH" you really can't establish an objective position based on part of the towing experience.... I know my eyes were opened when I had the opportunity to tow the same trailer with both a half ton and a 3/4 ton. There is a marked difference in stability, in towing capability and in handling/ease of driving.

As for comparing an "older 3/4 ton" to a "newer half ton" it's apples and oranges. When comparing my 3/4 ton Dodge to my F150, the half ton had a longer chassis, it was wider, taller, heavier, had stabilitiy control, anti-skid, tow rated transmission, more HP, more torque, bigger GCWR, bigger brakes (all disc vs all drum) 6 speed transmission vs 3 speed "load flight". The only "advantages" to the 3/4 ton were bigger payload and heavier GVW. There really was no way to "stack up those two trucks for an objective comparison.

All I'm saying is that it's difficult for anyone who has only towed with a half ton to "know" what a 3/4 ton (of comparable technology) feels like when the same travel trailer is behind the two trucks for a "true towing comparison."

Someone who buys their first trailer, has "any" vehicle to use for towing (whether it be a mini-pickup or a 1 ton dually), and posts that "on our way home our rig tows great", really hasn't the experience to know what different vehicles will do with that same trailer, so their experience is limited as is their "objective opinion about what "great really means"...... I know that in my personal situation, after 40 years of towing trailers with various trucks, given the experience to "feel the difference" in the same Springdale behind both trucks, the choice was a "no brainer" for me. Your opinion and your experience may differ...
Very well stated as it relates to the "i compare this to that" type of conversations people generally participate in.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #16
avidbowhunterww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Here's y'all a tape...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! That's awesome!
avidbowhunterww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
mikereidjr

I have a Springdale 266rlssr and pull it with my 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi Quad Cab, and I hate the RV with it. I have added the air bags and stiffer rear springs, now at least it is not AS scary to tow. I have a WD hitch (set up right) and an AntiSway control. The truck sits level and

I am not over weight and the upgrades to the rear were only $300, but it is not a 3/4 ton. I know I need a bigger truck, but I haven't found the one I want to buy, so this will work for now.

I really want a diesel, I just don't know if it is in the cards due to the budget.

I have towed a lot and driven plenty of big RV's and Cargo Trucks, I even used to pull a fully enclosed race trailer with my 04 ram 2500. I am not an expert by any means and know some of how the trailer is the nature of a bumper pull trailer, but I cant believe anyone that has no complaints of towing their camper bigger with the Ram 1500.

I have towed my camper with an 06 f150 super crew and it was better, the best of all 3 was my brothers 08 f150 extend cab.

The truck does not struggle pulling it but the suspension kills it.
mikereidjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #18
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal CPA View Post
I tow my cougar 28rbs with my ram 1500 with airbags with no problems at all. I don't think I'd want to go any more though. That sounds like a lot of trailer for the 1500. I'd be looking for a 1 ton diesel, but happy camping and stay safe....
I was looking at the same trailer as yours before we bought or Outback. If I remember correctly the 28rbs has 955lbs of dry tongue weight before adding anything to the trailer. Once you add the propane tanks, battery, camping gear and clothes I'll bet your over 1100lbs of tongue weight. Then you add the weight of your passengers and whatever you throw in the bed. Sorry to say but your probably over your trucks gvwr and rear axle rating.

I know the only complaint people have with the Ram 1500 is the low payload#'s. Be safe and happy camping.
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #19
audio1der

I always have the floating axle of a 3/4 or 1T in the back of my mind when we tow with our 1500. I wish the truck carried it's load better (not on the axle tube itself).
Like so many others, I'm sure a 2500 w/6.4 would be better (more stable) for towing but is simply not in the cards.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:27 AM   #20
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
I always have the floating axle of a 3/4 or 1T in the back of my mind when we tow with our 1500. I wish the truck carried it's load better (not on the axle shaft itself).
Like so many others, I'm sure a 2500 w/6.4 would be better (more stable) for towing but is simply not in the cards.
Corrected for you