Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
AnnaK

Sewer hose storage?

We are new to a trailer with waste holding tanks and the disposal of contents.

When we bought the sewer hose and fittings we realized that the hose has to be attached to the fittings at both ends each time we need to empty the tanks IF we want to store the hose inside the rear bumper. At this time, we have the fittings in a small plastic bin in one of the storage compartments and the hose scrunched together inside the bumper.

Is that how you store yours? Or is there a better way of doing it, especially a method that would allow us to keep the connectors attached at both ends of the hose?
AnnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
davidjsimons

The hose should fit in the bumper with the fitting still attached. The male end fitting is smaller than the female fitting. Put the end of the hose with the male fitting in the bumper first. It should slide right in. Once it is in all of the way, rotate the female fitting to the point where the locking ears are in the corners and not facing a flat side. I hope this answers your question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
f6bits

Let me be the first of many who recommend that you don't store your hose in the bumper. It's akin to dragging it across the pavement and will wear holes in your hose as well as rust your bumper with residual water left on the hose.

Many people use an airtight Rubbermaid tub or build their own storage tube that's mounted to the underside of the trailer.
http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/12/20/se...e-storage-tube

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Jim W

I store my two older hose in the bumper and my most recent sewer hose in a plastic seal container in the basement storage compartment with the fittings needed to dump the waste water. This is the one I use the mostly it is only 20' since this will work at most camp grounds. But sometimes I have needed to use 35' or more then I will drag out one of the ones from the bumper which are in 10' lengths.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

I will be the second of many! you can also buy a Camco tube at any rv store it has mounting ears on it so you can attach it to the under carrage. the hose and your rear bumper will thank you There are many other alternitives to storing the poo pipe. enjoy the new TT.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
GaryWT

There are some hoses that at too big for the bumper, I have never used the bumper. I had been using a rubbermaid container and putting it in the front storage which was fine. I just added a 6 inch PVC tube under the trailer and now us that, hopefully it will work fine. Some use a 5 inch square fence post to make a tube.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

If you have the space underneath your TT or your bumper, I would recommend a round or square PVC pipe to store your sewer hose. There are several threads on the forum - complete with photos - about this modification. There are also videos on uTube that you can check out what others have done.

Its a fairly simple and cheap modification and will save your bumper from becoming rusted out.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
AnnaK

You people rock! Thank you for the replies and suggestions. We truly appreciate your help.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
wgb1

My dealer advised against storing the hose in the bumper. He said it was cause the bumper to rust out in short order. I mounted a PVC fence section from Lowes underneath the trailer. It was an inexpensive and easy mod.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
MarkS

Cool

There has to be at least one contrary voice. I do use the bumper for storing the stinky slinky. It's never been a problem. Minimal rust. No worn out hoses. I have done this for the last 15 years.

I do, however, live in a very dry climate. Everything dries very quickly.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Greysquirrel

I was in our local CW and saw the Valterra storage tube for a 20 ft hose and it was $32.99, thinking this was too much I went to HD and priced out 4 inch PVC and the fittings to go with it and a small bottle of PVC cement and the price was $30.63, seems like a no brainer for me buy the ready mad and avoid the work of making one and having a 4ft piece of PVC and a can of PVC cement that I will probably never use again. Of course if you have this kind of material around your house or shop it makes sense to make it yourself.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
2011 keystone

This is what I did it is a 6" vinyl fence post with a cap on one end and a door that i made from a piece of lexan i had left over from another project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image[1].jpg
Views:	345
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	3044  
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
ftwildernessguy

I use a large Rubbermaid container for the stinky slinky and all attachments. It gets thrown in the back of the truck when I pack for every trip.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
eartha

After reading the post I went to the PVC. I think this is a good idea. Thanks all.
Happy Trails
eartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 keystone View Post
This is what I did it is a 6" vinyl fence post with a cap on one end and a door that i made from a piece of lexan i had left over from another project.
This is what I do and it is great! I just used the fence post caps on both ends. Glued it on one end and made a simple lock from a coat hanger to hold the end on that I use. The sewer hose ends fit easily. I also store and extra cheap hose in the bumper for those times I need two.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #16
SteveC7010

I think I've said this before in another thread, but it's worth repeating again.

#1. The steel bumper is a terrible place to store your hose. If there is any rust at all in there, it will act like sandpaper on the plastic hose and quickly rub holes in it. I know a couple of folks say otherwise, but look into the bumper for yourself and make your own judgement. If there's rust in there already, better to store stinky slinky elsewhere. I keep 4x4x10" cribbing blocks in my bumper. They don't care about the rust.

#2. The 5" PVC fence post or any other plastic storage container is great. There's all kinds of ingenious and handy ways to do this.

#4. I use a Rubbermaid tote for my hose and other gray or black water items like spare fittings, etc. We've got some garden hose items that we use with our blue tote to drain away gray water when boondocking and they are in the tote, too. That way, all of the "dirty" stuff is in one place and can be stored without any spills or mess.

#4. When you use the hose at a dump station, have you noticed what the hose is usually laying on between the trailer and the sewer hole? In most places, it's concrete. Concrete surfaces are generally abrasive and repeated movement of the hose on a concrete surface will wear holes in it. I always use something plastic on the concrete to protect the hose. My current set up is a couple of pieces of 4" thin wall drain pipe cut lengthwise in half and chopped to 24" sections. The hose lays in the pipe, can't move around too much, and the length of the trough is adjustable by using more than one section. If there is a leak in the hose, the stuff is contained in the trough and runs down to the drain opening.

#5. These sewer hoses get brittle over time, and the wire coils in them will rust, especially at each end where the hose is mated with a fitting of some kind. The rust is abrasive and will eat holes in the plastic from the inside. Once the plastic is brittle, normal movement of any kind will result in breaks and tears. I carry a spare section of the hose. When the primary one gets brittle, I toss it, install the spare on the fittings, and then purchase a new spare. Hopefully, the spare is never more than a couple of years old so I am not installing an instantly brittle hose. That happened once so I write the purchase date on the box and leave the new spare in the original packaging.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Sure enough, my OE sewer hose has sprung numerous tiny leaks after just 2.5 years, and the rusty bumper may well be to blame.

Before I get the new hose, I'll check out the various PVC and fence post options the next time I'm near a Lowes or HD.

Replacement hoses come in a dizzying array of thicknesses. It probably makes sense to buy the one that has the lowest cost per mil.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
LiteFoot

Sanitube

This is what I use. Comes in black & looks factory.

http://www.dwincorp.com/products/82/SUPER-TUBE

Ryan
LiteFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #19
AnnaK

That black one looks nice, Ryan. Thanks for the link.

For this season we'll probably go with the PVC solution, or the plastic fence post. We have pieces of either on hand. Thanks much for all your suggestions!

Steve's post is really interesting. I hadn't even thought of leaks developing over time. The drainage gully is very inventive!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
davidjsimons

I just received my Valterra drip caps for my sewage hoses. The use of these caps allows you to collapse the hose for storage. I am now able to store four, ten foot sections of hose in one small plastic container.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote