Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
DocData757

Creaking floor

I have a very loud 'creak' in the floor in the bathroom that appears to be just behind and on the left side to the floor vent just outside the bathroom door.

All the aluminum structure and floor is accessible in the 'basement'.

Any suggestions as to how I get rid of this?

Thanks!
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
geo

Dave -

That would be the floor space which is not "insulation isolated" from the basement. First I would check the aluminum supports for the basement walls and running beneath the floor. One of the welds might have cracked or separated. Have someone step on the "creak" while you look at it from the basement side. You might try getting some of the angle aluminum from HD and putting a brace across the the area, tapping in to the aluminum bracing beyond the creaking area, for additional floor support. This is a guaranteed pain to do since part of the work will be blocked by the WaterWorks area.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
DocData757

I located the area creaking but there is nothing wrong there (other than the noise). It is one of the aluminum joists running for and aft. The vent duct is in the middle of the bay and has 2 joists, one on each side. The joist on he port side is the one making the noise. I can even make it creak a little by trying to twist the joist. It does not appear loose and I can find no broken welds.

I'm thinking of an L bracket screw into the joist and then the floor.
???
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
mikell

Pledge furnature polish. put a screwdriver in it to open the crack then spray it good
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Pledge furnature polish. put a screwdriver in it to open the crack then spray it good
That will stop the creak but Liquid Nails done the same way will stiffen it up and stop the creak also. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
geo

Dave -

Is your "floor" chip board like in my Alpine? Sounds like the vents and framing is similar to the 3640. Hank has a great idea with the Liquid Nails, but I would like to add something. How much space is between the aluminum frame and the chip board? You might add some shims, either thin wood strips or even strips of posterboard, wedged in between the aluminum frame and the chip board. Then coat the sides with Liquid Nails to keep it in place. That way there is some support for the floor and padding for the creak. Besides, it would give you a chance to add the shims and test the creak before finishing it off.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote