Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Retiredsorta

1 Or 2 Battery's

I tow a 2011 Bullet 278RLS. I currently have one battery installed on th A frame. I keep the TT plugged in during storage. I check the battery regularly with no issues so far. If I plan for an extended trip with some nights of dry camping, will two twelve volt battery's be worth the investment? It would be no more than two nights of dry camp. Concerned about furnace if cold weather is encountered. Just looking for some experienced advise. Thanks in advance.

2013 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax Diesel
2011 Bullet 278RLS
Retiredsorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredsorta View Post
I tow a 2011 Bullet 278RLS. I currently have one battery installed on th A frame. I keep the TT plugged in during storage. I check the battery regularly with no issues so far. If I plan for an extended trip with some nights of dry camping, will two twelve volt battery's be worth the investment? It would be no more than two nights of dry camp. Concerned about furnace if cold weather is encountered. Just looking for some experienced advise. Thanks in advance.
The furnace fan will suck some power but unless it gets real cold one battery will probably get you thru two days. I had two batteries in my Lance camper and had enough power to last me 5 days with limited furnace use and still had enough power to run the electric jacks the day I left. With all that said the peace of mind two batteries would give me would be worth every cent another battery would cost.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
smiller

How much battery capacity you need is totally dependent on your individual situation. If you plan on no more than a couple of days and can be reasonably careful about power usage then a single Group 27 deep-cycle battery should do. If you will be camping in very cold weather or don't have a generator (for an emergency re-charge if necessary) then it would probably be safer to go with two.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
azlee56

I know we really try to conserve on the battery with just one light on for the most time, but I wouldn't ever try just one battery. We have to recharge within that two day period. But I don't like the battery getting too low. When the furnance ran it really did a job on the battery. I am reading more about the other batteries. hmmmm
Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
flc

I have never had a problem with one battery for a couple days usage. Having said that, when I go for more than a couple days (especially in the winter) I carry an extra battery and my Honda 2000i. I don't hook both up on the frame as I remove my battery when in storage. I carry the spare battery and the Honda in the back of my truck under my tonneau cover.
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
azlee56

You know since most of our camping is in the winter, that would explain it I guess.