Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Tom and Kelley Crawford

Door Lock Issues

We are having issues with the deadbolt on our 2010 Cougar 327RES. It does not happen every time, but there is definitely a problem. The door is unlocked (red lock on the inside of door is in the unlocked position) but the door is locked. I went outside the camper and my wife was inside. When I tried to get back in, the door would not open. I thought she had locked me out but she was on the inside saying the door was unlocked and neither one of us could open the door. I went to the truck and got the spare key and was able to unlock it from the outside. She tried to lock and then unlock it to disengage it, but nothing worked from the inside. Anyone out there have any words of wisdom???
Tom and Kelley Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

This may sound crazy but I have heard for years to always remove the key in the straight up and down position to avoid this problem. I have been doing this and have never had the problem again. JM2˘ Hank

I think there may have been a thread about this on this forum a while back. Try searching to find what the solution was there.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
richf28

I have the same problem with our hornet. I always thought it was for some safety reason, for the lack of any other reason. Got me curious now.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
michol02

I used to work for FEMA, and I dealt with travel trailer door locks every day and was not impressed with the FIC brand locks(found on most camping trailers). They're cheap and fairly easy to get into using someone else's key. The first thing I did when I bought my unit was change out the door and compartment locks(TriMark door lock and medium security compartment locks from my local rv store). They easily install with no modifications. These aren't the best locks out there, but they are an improvement over the factory ones. Camping World and several other on-line places have them.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
MILBY

I think for me it is just the wife locking me out
Old 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILBY View Post
I think for me it is just the wife locking me out
Have you been a baaaaaaad boy????