Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
joindy

Trickle charge on Keystone Passport

I have a 2009 Passport 250BH. I plan on keeping it plugged into 110 while in winter storage. I want to make sure I do not damage the battery by having it hooked up to 110 all the time. I think I read that newer RV's...like mine have a sophisticated charger that will not harm the battery. Is that correct?
Even if that is the case....is there any advantage to putting the 110 outlet on a timer....which would turn it on for say 2 days once every week or two?
joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most of the "newer" chargers have a trickle charge feature, however, when initially turned on, they charge at an increased rate for a period of time, then lower the charge to finish the battery charging cycle, then revert to trickle charge. While, in theory, putting that type of charger on a timer may sound like a "work around" I think you may find that when the power initially comes on after the timer has cycled, the converter goes immediately to increased charge condition and must cycle through its "process". If so, that may very well negate any benefit the timer may have created.

My suggestion would be to remove the battery, take it inside and put it on a trickle charger or just store it in the corner of the garage and connect it for a couple of hours every month or so.

If you're like me, I tend to forget, so I just hook my charger up the first of every month and disconnect it the next day.

If you want to leave your RV hooked up to 110VAC through the winter, maybe you could just flip the circuit breaker for the converter (also remove the battery) that way you're not powering the transformer and rectifier in it all winter long.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Terrydactile

What model is your converter? If its a WFCO model wf8900 like mine then its a three stage charger and it will go into float mode or trickle charge. My battery does not lose water at all and I have it plugged in all the time. Of course you will need to check it once in a while until you are comfortable about water use.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Unlike automobile batteries, deep cycle marine/RV batteries don't do well sitting out in sub-zero weather. The best recommendation is to remove them from the RV (or boat), and store them in an above freezing temperature environment. Even an unheated basement in a heated house will stay well above 45F.

It is also a good idea not to set them directly on a concrete floor. I like to place a board under mine.

The CTEK family of smart chargers might be an excellent choice for maintaining a battery across the 4 to 6 months of storage. I am buying a 7002 which has 7 different charging modes which includes desulfation. http://smartercharger.com/

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
W5WI

This time of year I remove the batteries from my 5er, lawn mower and bass boat. I put them in the garage on a bench and hook up trickle chargers on each for the winter. Once a month, I make sure the fluid level is correct in the batteries.

I purchased the trickle chargers from Harbor Freight. I've been using their chargers for years with good luck. But, like most things I do keep an eye on them...
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Keep a close eye on charging using inexpensive chargers as they can over charge a battery. A good quality charger will have a "desulfication circuit" built in. Not to get too technical but overcharging boils the acid in the battery causing sulfer ions to adhear to the plates causing premature failure. Good chargers have a cylce that will brak loose these deposits and keep the battery performing at optimum capacity for several years.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
gprone

Hi flyboy

any specific recommendations on a good charger to use?