Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
jackrunz

Goodyear Marathon CHINESE Trailer Tires

Go to autosafety.org and search for these tires. After talking to two other Montana owners over the past week that have had blowouts at less than 12000 miles on their tires, I have ordered new wheels and tires as researched and recommended by my last fellow Montana owner. I am currently sitting in Las Vegas awaiting my tires so I can proceed on my trip with peace of mind that my Marathon tires with 8500 miles on them would not give me.
Keystone needs to stop using these tires on their trailers! I purchased my 2011 model in May of 2010, so it is out of warranty.
I will gladly provide the specs and contact info here if anyone wants.
jackrunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
LouSlugger

Sorry about your bad luck. You post title seems to suggest the problem may have something to do with the fact that the tires were made in China. Based on my recent research (I ended up buying Maxxis), virtually all trailer tires are made in China or thereabouts.
LouSlugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrunz View Post
Keystone needs to stop using these tires on their trailers! I purchased my 2011 model in May of 2010, so it is out of warranty.
As LouSlugger stated above, all ST tires are made in Asia.(There was talk of Goodyear bringing them back to the States but I haven't seen any) Also, just like your car, Keystone does not warranty tires. The tire manufacturer does and you must go to Goodyear for claims. When I bought my Cougar in '07 it had biased ply tires on it. When I went to pick it up from the dealer the tires had been replaced with Marathons under a recall. I thought at the time this was an upgrade. (and in all fairness I think Keystone did also) Then all the reports about "China Bombs" started and after two years and only 5000 mi. the Goodyear's started to show signs of bulging and uneven tread-wear. I upgraded to 16" LT LR E tires and rims and no problems since. Many folks have been satisfied with Maxis or have gone to G rated tires and rims also. Be sure the replacement tires and rims meet or exceed the requirements of your Montana. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
jackrunz

marathon tires update

Received my Goodyear MADE IN THE USA tires a couple of days ago and have moved from Las Vegas to Grand Junction Co in the meantime. I must say I feel extremly comftorable with this choice. The exact tires I have are 215/75R 17.5, load range H. They arrived mounted on aluminum wheels complete with new lug nuts and balance beads. This may be a little overkill but I feel I will have trouble free towing from now on. I purchased these tires from trailertiresandwheels.com. Scott was exteremly helpful, got them out to me the same day and they have a large selection.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrunz View Post
Go to autosafety.org and search for these tires. After talking to two other Montana owners over the past week that have had blowouts at less than 12000 miles on their tires, I have ordered new wheels and tires as researched and recommended by my last fellow Montana owner. I am currently sitting in Las Vegas awaiting my tires so I can proceed on my trip with peace of mind that my Marathon tires with 8500 miles on them would not give me.
Just curious.....did you actually have tire and/or rim problems or did you replace them for "peace of mind"?
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
jackrunz

Phil, Just did it for peace of mind, no regrets, as I am now back home safely!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
JerJan10

16" tire upgrade

hankpage, Did you replace the rims when you upgraded to the 16" tires? If so, what rims did you get? Thanks, JT
JerJan10 is offline   Reply With Quote