Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
LeeMedic

What do you do for water?

I have been looking at State Parks out west in Colorado, ND, SD, Wyoming, NM ect. I prefer state parks because I love to hike.

Anyway I can find state parks out west that have electric, but it seems water is more difficult to acquire.

It appears they have "Shared" water points. How does this work? How do you fill your fresh water tank at these parks.

I am hoping you dont have to hookup and move to a central point.

Can anyone who has camped out west give me some recommendations?

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
cumminsdad08

all the state parks i have stayed at had water at a central location, usually somewhere when you pull into your camping "area". and i usually just fill er up when i get in and hope to make it the weekend. i have been able to make a "full" tank go 4 days with 3 adults and 3 children. i even pulled the plug on the way out. i think that they make a tank you can put in the back of your truck to "refill" your holding tank. i entertaied the idea of usuing a large cooler or something similar and keeping it in the bed of the truck and using gravity to refill, but my truck is usually way higher then my fill for fresh on the trailer. if there isn't many people staying with you and not for very long, i wouldn't worry about it. just take a bike and book bag to take your showers and such. someplaces you can try and pick your spot a little closer to the shared water sorce and bring lots of hose. guy i know usually carrys about 400 ft of water hose. i don't recomend that, but he does what he wants.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
antiqfreq

If we knew we were going to a park of NFS CG without water or shared water,
we would fill our fresh tank before leaving out. We would fill our 2 five gallon water jugs and fill all 6 of the one gallon drinking jugs we keep inside the fiver.

If you have a shared water area you must walk with your jugs to the area to fill up OR if you have a long hose you can fill your fresh tank that way. But you will need a blue tote to dispose of your grey water when it fills up.

We did a lot of camping the last year out west and alot were boondocking or electric only and we really always figured how to work it out.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
CampDestinations.com

Not sure about out west, but @ Maryland state parks there are water pumps located withint about 50-100 feet of most campsites. And they have one at the dump stations. You just need to supply your own hose.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
therink

Same set up here in NYS Parks. I bring a lot of hose and bring it out when I need to fill my tank, then put the hose away. Some spigots don't have threads and I use a "water thief" fitting to attach the hose (available at most rv supply stores) Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote