Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
gatorrig

2011 Raptor 3812 and companion hitch

Hello everyone,

We are getting ready to bring home a new Raptor 3812TS, and I'm having a hard time deciding on a hitch. Our truck currently has a B&W turnover ball system, which would take the companion fifth wheel hitch. I have never heard one bad thing about the companion, but with an empty weight of 13300 and a GVWR of 18K, would the companion be safely up to the job? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
gatorrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
linebiker

If the B&W is still rated at 18k like they were when I got mine you should be good. Friend of mine had a similar rig to yours with the B&W, put several thousand miles on it and had no problems. He never had his loaded to max though.

He and I both upgraded the pin box to the trail air, mine being triglide...I cant say enough good about that. I was afraid I was going to break something before the upgrade.

Only thing about companion I don't like is on my dual wheel truck I have to put a foot on tire, step up and lean on bed to reach locking handle for pin latch.

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
gatorrig

The companion is in fact rated for 18k. My concern I guess is not knowing how easy or difficult it would be to reach that 18k mark.
gatorrig is offline   Reply With Quote