Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2024, 02:56 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Just my thoights but, I'd rather be inconvenienced for a few trips vs the possibility of constant, perhaps years of hassle with a system that's prone to failure or "glitches."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 04:48 PM   #22
NH_Bulldog

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your thoughts. I am going to pass on the unit with InCommand even though it has everything else we wanted. It was also more than 1,000 miles away which would have been a stretch to make work.

We are going to step back from it for a couple of days before we decide whether we wait for our ordered unit or seriously consider other alternatives. I am always one that thinks things happen for a reason and while we may never know why, this situation developed for good cause and we will roll with it
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 04:57 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do choose to buy a trailer with the SolarFlex 220 system, remember that you can't "just upgrade to a 440I system. The 220 has ONE inverter loop with no second inverter loop and no wiring/connection for the air conditioner as well as the 220 has only one 30 amp roof port. The 440i has two roof ports which allows a maximum of double the roof panels you can install with the 220 system unless you add additional wiring from the roof to the passthrough.

While many things can be upgraded to make a 220 system more functional, it is not only "difficult" to upgrade to "the same capability" but it's also extremely expensive to do the wiring to build the second inverter loop and run the roof port wiring.

Depending on what you're final goals are for solar, the 220 may mean a deal breaker or an expensive undertaking that excludes the "included with every trailer we sell" 220 SolarFlex package.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 05:20 PM   #24
NH_Bulldog

I have been up in the air on Solar for a while. We ordered the 440i with Lithium batteries, but really only out of fear of the 12v refrigerator and occasional off-grid camping for s night or two here and there, plus easier to order it than try to upgrade later if our needs changed.

We do have a 3,000w inverter generator, but were thinking of a simpler, quieter and more seamless integration. This might be one of those situations where “nice to have” is not necessarily “need to have”. If we could still get a build with a gas/electric fridge it would be an easy decision.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:00 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I have been up in the air on Solar for a while. We ordered the 440i with Lithium batteries, but really only out of fear of the 12v refrigerator and occasional off-grid camping for s night or two here and there, plus easier to order it than try to upgrade later if our needs changed.

We do have a 3,000w inverter generator, but were thinking of a simpler, quieter and more seamless integration. This might be one of those situations where ďnice to haveĒ is not necessarily ďneed to haveĒ. If we could still get a build with a gas/electric fridge it would be an easy decision.

As I watch the RV manufacturers morph from one thing to another I marvel at the decisions they make - 120vac only fridges; 12vdc fridges while eliminating the ONLY options that actually make an RV viable for what they were meant for - CAMPING! If someone wants to take a 3 day weekend and camp in the boonies like we used to the fridge was never a concern because we could run LP. Now they eliminate that. Doing so means you have to install expensive, problematic solar systems or carry a generator. Off grid a generator is fine and I used to carry one all over the place...but it IS a pain and one that shouldn't be required simply to use an RV in the woods for a few days. JMO.

Before, and this is just me, I opted for any solar additions/mods/changes I would use my generator and never look back.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:27 PM   #26
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As I watch the RV manufacturers morph from one thing to another I marvel at the decisions they make - 120vac only fridges; 12vdc fridges while eliminating the ONLY options that actually make an RV viable for what they were meant for - CAMPING! If someone wants to take a 3 day weekend and camp in the boonies like we used to the fridge was never a concern because we could run LP. Now they eliminate that. Doing so means you have to install expensive, problematic solar systems or carry a generator. Off grid a generator is fine and I used to carry one all over the place...but it IS a pain and one that shouldn't be required simply to use an RV in the woods for a few days. JMO.

Before, and this is just me, I opted for any solar additions/mods/changes I would use my generator and never look back.
Well, you still can if you want to do some modifications, and or remove the refrigerator from the build sheet, and just have them provide electric and a gas line.

https://www.gas-refrigerators.com/superior

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:31 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, you can spend additional money to modify the RV to make it what it should have been in the first place but.....why? They are trying to make them into the "mobile homes" of yesteryear which is not what an RV is.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:11 AM   #28
NH_Bulldog

I don’t want this thread to get too far off track, so I will say that we are firm in our decision to either wait for our ordered unit or find an existing unit WITHOUT InCommand.

To wrap up the solar discussion; adding a gas/electric fridge isn’t a viable option since it is on a slide and would require extensive modifications. Keystone used to allow an optional fridge in 2023, but removed the option completely for the newer models. If we go with an existing unit, I can live with the basic solar 220 system for the time being and then build it out intelligently over time as costs decrease and technology improves. We will likely start with a pair of LiFePO4 100ah batteries regardless. On our mid-June trip we have one night at a National Forest campground, so we can test the system to see how it performs off grid. Our Generac 3000i is small and light enough to have our back if the batteries can’t keep up.

Thanks again for everyone that weighed in, I appreciate your input!
Old 04-21-2024, 06:01 PM   #29
Bill-2020

Quote:
I donít want this thread to get too far off track, so I will say that we are firm in our decision to either wait for our ordered unit or find an existing unit WITHOUT InCommand.

To wrap up the solar discussion; adding a gas/electric fridge isnít a viable option since it is on a slide and would require extensive modifications. Keystone used to allow an optional fridge in 2023, but removed the option completely for the newer models. If we go with an existing unit, I can live with the basic solar 220 system for the time being and then build it out intelligently over time as costs decrease and technology improves. We will likely start with a pair of LiFePO4 100ah batteries regardless. On our mid-June trip we have one night at a National Forest campground, so we can test the system to see how it performs off grid. Our Generac 3000i is small and light enough to have our back if the batteries canít keep up.

Thanks again for everyone that weighed in, I appreciate your input!
What a let down, Rob. Iím sorry to hear this delay in the build. When I saw the unit we have now on the lot, I had some reservation if it would be big enough in the long run. But the floor plan was perfect. I decided to ďsleep on itĒ - an impulse buy on something that expensive is not a good idea. Luckily, I had a day or so as the pending deal from another buyer was likely to fall through. It gave me a day to mull it over in my mind and also a chance to have DW look it over and be the one to think of things I didnít. In the end we had to either buy that one, or wait for 6-8 months if we ordered one again (the old Passport we had was an ordered unit pre-Covid and only took a month). We jumped at the opportunity.

As far as the fridge goes, I much prefer the 12v over the gas/elect. versions. We had so much trouble here in the south keeping the fridge cold. It just had a hard time overcoming the heat. Not to mention the cool down time on a 12V is only about 5-6 hours depending on interior/exterior temps. So much nicer than an absorption unit. We carry a Honda 3000 handi in the back of the truck each trip, just to make sure we have 120v in the event we are sidelined due to a mechanical issue or weather delay. I use the 12V hoist for DWís mobility scooter to lift the generator into the back of the truck. My back isnít what it used to be.

I hope you are able to find the one you want.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:29 AM   #30
CBears

I don't mind the InCommand system in ours but do wish we had regular switches instead. If it were me, I would certainly wait it out.

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:10 AM   #31
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBears View Post
I don't mind the InCommand system in ours but do wish we had regular switches instead. If it were me, I would certainly wait it out.
If it hasnít failed you yet, consider yourself lucky. There is a high probability it will one day. I donít mean to be negative here, but the system is just not reliable enough to trust it.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:52 AM   #32
ChuckS

the drawback for us and why we bought a different floorplan and smaller Alpine was the In Command system..

The older units ( 2014-2015 ) are now seeing failures of either the display and/or the BCM..

That version of In Command is NLA so your only recourse is to upgrade to a complete new version which means a DC and BCM... If you got $3500 or more spare cash laying around for the units plus another $500 or so for labor then no worries.

I prefer SPST rocker switches... Thats whats in mine.. I like and enjoy new gadgets and such but this was one I passed on...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:01 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

From the posts on this forum (and others) the system reminds me of Windows Me of years ago. Anyone old enough to have lived through the "blue screen of death" crashes will cringe at the mere mention of it. I still recall loosing hours of work, wiping and reinstall the operating system, and trying to figure out what caused the failure. It took MS several releases of the OS before discovering a somewhat stable system. Looks to me like ASA is similarly struggling with their system.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:39 PM   #34
NH_Bulldog

Exciting update! Processed the order cancellation with the original dealer. Negotiated a great price on the same model at a different dealer and even got them to throw in a few "extras" like MaxxAir II vent covers, and Snap Pads. Dropped a nice deposit and scheduled to pick it up in a couple of weeks. Confirmed that it DOES NOT have InCommand!
Old 04-24-2024, 02:47 AM   #35
Bill-2020

Quote:
Exciting update! Processed the order cancellation with the original dealer. Negotiated a great price on the same model at a different dealer and even got them to throw in a few "extras" like MaxxAir II vent covers, and Snap Pads. Dropped a nice deposit and scheduled to pick it up in a couple of weeks. Confirmed that it DOES NOT have InCommand!
Congrats!! Ya knocked it out of the park!

I considered the snap pads my self, but I was concerned with trapped moisture (FL rains) rustling out the steel. Iíve already had to scrub off the surface rust on top of the leveling feet and recoat with Rust-oleum black.