Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2024, 03:02 PM   #1
S_Fleckio

Brake issue

Hello, not sure if there is a quick fix for this or not. I tow my 268bh with my 2023 F150. When braking, it isn’t an even brake. It pulses at 100% braking roughly once per second. I’ve adjusted the brake gain down, but that didn’t seem to help. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas so I can avoid a trip to the dealer…. thanks!
S_Fleckio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:40 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Do you have an aftermarket brake control, or is it integrated?

If aftermarket, which brand/model.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:51 PM   #3
S_Fleckio

It’s integrated
Old 04-21-2024, 05:09 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Has it ever worked correctly? If so, what has changed since it last worked correctly.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:19 PM   #5
bobbecky

Were the bearings lubed using the zerk fittings on the ends of the axles? It may be possible if this was done that the brakes have grease on them.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 03:55 AM   #6
S_Fleckio

The travel trailer is only about a year old. When I first bought it, the brakes didn’t work at all. The dealer fixed it under warranty, saying there was a short in the wiring, but now it’s doing this pulsating thing. I don’t think it did that immediately after they “fixed” it, but definitely noticing it now. Not sure if they did anything with the bearings when they worked on it or not.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:48 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Fleckio View Post
The travel trailer is only about a year old. When I first bought it, the brakes didn’t work at all. The dealer fixed it under warranty, saying there was a short in the wiring, but now it’s doing this pulsating thing. I don’t think it did that immediately after they “fixed” it, but definitely noticing it now. Not sure if they did anything with the bearings when they worked on it or not.
could you try towing some else to rule out either the truck or the trailer as the culprit? friends or neighbors trailer?
Old 04-22-2024, 04:50 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

My thought is that it is either a truck issue or a trailer issue (obviously right?).

Given the prior work on the brakes, something resulting from that repair could now be manifesting itself in a different way. First, while fully connected, I would have someone press on the brake pedal in the truck while you put your head close to the wheel and listen closely for any "odd" sounds. At the same time, set your dashboard display so you can see the brake controller output graph. Did the graph indicate power output, did it go up and down or stay steady or slowly go down? Did you hear any sounds at the wheels other than a slight buzzing or vibration? If so, was it pulsing like the brakes where coming on and off?

The next step is to disconnect the 7-way cord from the trailer to the truck. Now have someone pull the breakaway switch cable while you are down at the wheels listening closely again. Is there anything different in the sounds?

This will help narrow down the issue to the truck or the trailer. As noted by others, another way is to try to connect your truck to someone else's trailer or have someone else connect their truck to your trailer and see if any of the same behavior is happening.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:12 AM   #9
dutchmensport

It sounds like your anti-skid system is activating when you hit the brakes. The truck thinks you are going into a skid. If you were skidding (say on ice or wet roads), the anti-skid would cause the brakes to start pulsating. What's happening is each wheel brake is quickly being activated and then de-activated, emulating pumping the brakes, only very rapidly. They are designed to do this on ice or snow if you lock up the brakes and go into a skid.

However, towing the trailer, the trailer brakes are not activating or not activating strong enough. When you push the brake peddle, the tow vehicle brakes are being activated, but the trailer is not. The trailer is now pushing the tow vehicle and the truck thinks it's just gone into a skid, causing the pulsating. The truck is pulsating the brakes trying to prevent a skid. It doesn't know its the result of thousands of pounds of momentum pushing the truck instead of it sliding on a slick surface.

Double check your trailer brakes and make sure they are actually being activated. Hitch up and then have someone push the brake peddle in the truck while you listen for the brakes, or the magnets in the trailer brakes to activate. You'll hear a slight "click" and then a very, very slight humming coming from the trailer brakes. So, it needs to be done when things are real quiet. Even the sound of your truck engine could be enough to drown out the sound from the trailer brakes with your ear right next to the wheel hub.

If you hear the brakes engaging, you know they are working. So the problem is somewhere else. However, if you hear nothing, then THAT is what is happening. Trailer brakes are not engaging and your tow vehicle thinks you are going into a skid every time you hit the tow vehicle brakes.

I don't know how mechanical you are, but at least you can isolate if brakes are actually engaging in the camper or not. It's a start.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:25 AM   #10
jasin1

i wonder if the new abs brakes on keystone rvs are going to create issues for the newer trucks with onboard factory brake controllers
Old 04-22-2024, 12:44 PM   #11
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i wonder if the new abs brakes on keystone rvs are going to create issues for the newer trucks with onboard factory brake controllers
Whether a brake controller is installed or not – and whether it's a factory controller or aftermarket – Lippert ABS will function to keep the trailer wheels from locking up, and the non-intrusive system also will not interfere with the controller's gain settings.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:04 AM   #12
S_Fleckio

Sounds like I should probably just bring it in to the dealer just to be safe.