Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2024, 04:56 PM   #1
LindaL

Help with TV and RV speakers

Hi everyone. I have a 5th wheel with indoor speakers. I cannot get my TV audio to come out of the indoor speakers. The audio is only coming out of the TV speakers which is fine until you have the AC on. I have a Furrion radio and a Visio TV. I may have the connections from the TV to the radio messed up. The radio audio does come out of the trailer speakers but not the TV. It used to work fine but I had to get a new TV so maybe ???? I screwed it up. Thanks
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:18 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

On mine, the only time tv audio comes out the ceiling speakers is if I played a DVD. Otherwise you would have to run cables from audio “out” on the TV to audio “in” on the RV stereo.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:47 PM   #3
LindaL

Thank you for the reply. When my hubby was alive he was the brains behind the inside speakers and we always had TV audio through the inside speakers. I just feel that buying a new TV and that I have something not hooked up correctly is the issue. I will check again for the 100th time to see if I have the audio connections correct.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:53 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Replaced TV and lost the audio...yes, it sounds like a wiring issue. Can you post a picture of the connections you've made behind the TV/receiver or just describe them? Your speaker outputs are probably coming out of the receiver and the TV wired into it - or maybe the TV did not get wired back to the receiver? Settings?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:28 PM   #5
LindaL

Thank you. I will try and get pictures. It's kind of a tight space behind the radio/receiver. Or I may also attempt to describe my hookups. I wish I was better at all this.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:54 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Many older TV's used RCA "phono" plugs to connect components. Most of today's TV's do not have phono plugs, but use Optical or HDMI connecting cables. Your trailer stereo/DVD player most likely won't have either of those, so you may not be able to connect your "new TV" to your "old, outdated stereo"...

There are adapter plugs that you can use, but the $30 cost of the plug (my estimate, I haven't bought one in a while) far outweighs the "useful purpose cost", especially when there is no way to know how much longer the radio will last before you need to replace it....

So, pull your stereo/DVD player and see if there are "matching plugs" behind the TV and on the back of the stereo. If you don't have a way to make the connection, let us know and we can go from there.... I'd suspect you won't find RCA "phono" plugs on your new TV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:58 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
Thank you. I will try and get pictures. It's kind of a tight space behind the radio/receiver. Or I may also attempt to describe my hookups. I wish I was better at all this.

The link below appears to be the Furrion unit in your trailer....is it?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2c9dc5...E#&gid=1&pid=2

Note in the description pics it shows it only comes with RCA plugs. What model of Vizio TV do you have? I replaced my Furrion TV in the current trailer with a Vizio because I wanted the 3 HDMI ports which I could not find in a Samsung that size (my preferred brand).

I replaced the interior speakers (Furrion - totally pathetic) with JBLs but then added a sound bar which made all the difference in the world. Looking at pics of your trailer it appears you have one of the TVs that pops up from the counter - is that accurate?

Worst case scenario cut out the little panels on each side of the radio and install some small JBL speakers OR attach a sound bar to the top of that counter if you can't get the ceiling speakers wired in. Let us know on that TV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:13 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Our Furrion system (inside the camper) required that the DVD player/radio be turned on all the time for the speakers to work. After about a year of use (almost full time use), the Furrion system started making a loud humming noise. It was the DVD player spinning. It was so annoying we stopped using the player for sound.

We ended up buying a stand-alone sound bar with (surround system) and plug it into the television now (it uses the fiber optic wire). The sound is better, the surround effect is wonderful and when we take our smaller television outside, we can simply move the sound bar outside with it. The outside trailer speakers are pathetic anyway. We never used them from the very beginning.

So, this is how we do it. The sound bar works great. Of course, when we travel it has to be secured as it's not anchored down, and the extra speaker have to be put away too. But when watching television, the sound quality is much, much, much better than the actual television AND the original Furrion stereo / DVD player system.

If you go with a sound bar system, then be sure it can actually hook-up to the television. Make sure the television has the Fiber Optic input port or, at best, the HMDI port. Very very very few soundbars have ear phone jacks any more, nor do they have the old RCA jacks. Most all have BlueTooth technology, but that works OK for a cell phone, but we've never figured out how to get the television to work on BlueTooth.

Anyway, that's how we do it and it's an alternative and simple solution to a frustrating problem.

Good luck, happy camping!
Old 04-05-2024, 01:26 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

I have one of the oldest Keystone campers on this forum. My "stereo" doesn't connect to anything but the two speakers next to it and the two overhead speakers in the bedroom which I disconnected. I also have a double deck cassette player and CD player. It doesn't figure into my TV listening.

I found that my Spectre (Wally's cheapest 32") has poor sound and even at loudest settings, the A/C (on almost all the time here in Texas) would drown out the TV sound. Bought an inexpensive soundbar and found the only way to connect the sound from the TV was via the little 3.5mm audio jack as the TV has no RCA connections for output, the soundbar has no HDMI or USZB for input. Only other input on the cheap soundbar is the optical one and the TV doesn't have that. The audio jack works fine and we can now hear TV sound through the soundbar fine with the A/C cranking.

All this is to say, when you get a soundbar, do research on connectivity between it and the TV you own.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:11 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

If you are thinking of replacing the tv you might consider buying a sound bar and getting the store show you how to connect it. You will most likely get better sound that way.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:02 PM   #11
rlh1957

On mine the Furrion system only plays when a DVD is played. When just TV is or satellite is playing only tv speaker plays.
You can add a Sound Bar and a remote Bluetooth Sub to the TV.
I donít think the hokey Furrion equipment can be wire up or configured to send TV sound through the house speakers.
Audiophiles and others that abhor cheap cheesy sound of Furrion take out the system and upgrade to systems that perform to their standards.
With a custom system you can decide what sound plays where and from whatever components you wish.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 ACís - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 07:41 PM   #12
Scott in Michigan

This might help.

I'll copy below some excerpts from a post I made in 2019 regarding the same deficiency with our Summit television and Furrion DV3300 in our Cougar 32RLI.

Regarding the radio - you can make the sound halfway decent by activating the loudness feature (labeled as LOUD on the remote control - look for it near the MUTE button).

We also found the television sound too low, so I figured out how to play the TV through the trailer sound system by moving the DV 3300 to the HDMI 1 (ARC) input on the TV. Then you select the ARC function on the DV 3300.

Keep in mind that when you press a button on the DV 3300 remote there's a four or five second delay before the sound system responds to the command. Long enough that when you select a function via the remote one thinks nothing is going to happen.

Your TV is different but maybe this will give you something to work with.

Scott
Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speakers