Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
Archer82

Lower RV Suspension?

Recently purchased a new 23MLS Cougar and while I love it, it only fits under my 12 ft door if I let air out of the tires.

Does anybody know a guy can install air bags in place of the leaf springs? My only other idea is finding smaller wheels and tires. I need about 2 inches of clearance.
Archer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like you need a taller garage door. Lowering the ride height of the trailer may cause issues with the trailer to bed clearance or make it ride "nose high". Changing to a smaller tire would mean loosing load capacity on the tires so that's a no-no. I don't know of any "air bag" system for 5th wheels but I'm sure if you're willing to spend the money someone would do it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Here you go:

Pricey- https://www.stengelbros.net/Trailer-...ons_c_265.html

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I think (not absolutely sure) that the tires only clear the top of the wheel well boxes by about 3". That clearance is "absolutely necessary" to keep the tires from bouncing up into the top of the wheelwell during towing. I don't know of any way to lower the trailer on a "permanent basis" that would allow for sufficient wheelwell/tire clearance. A "raiseable/lowerable" system would cost way more than putting in a taller garage door. If the garage ceiling is too low, building a taller pole barn would probably be close to the same cost as a "variable height suspension system". Given the way the wheels/tires fit in the wheelwells, you ain't towing that trailer with a lowered suspension without cutting out the wheelwells. Doing that???? Might as well trade trailers or build that pole barn... Alternative: Park it outside and keep it waxed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #5
batsford

Does it make sense that the right side springs might “wear out” first? I have just traveled 1000 miles, and heard a noise at slow speed. Upon examination the only thing I can see is that the right side tires have worn through the “cloth” and insulation above the tires in the wheelwell. Any thoughts or experiences?
batsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:31 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsford View Post
Does it make sense that the right side springs might “wear out” first? I have just traveled 1000 miles, and heard a noise at slow speed. Upon examination the only thing I can see is that the right side tires have worn through the “cloth” and insulation above the tires in the wheelwell. Any thoughts or experiences?
Certainly not "normal". Do you have an inordinate amount of weight on that side? Have you thoroughly inspected the suspension looking for broken spring leaves, broken shackles, shifted U bolts, etc?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
batsford

It does appear the right springs are flatter, but in the site I’m on I am on a 2x6 “block’ to level the rig. Everything else seems normal. My load is even
batsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
travelin texans

If those air ride axle kits were per axle I'm sure you could raise the garage door for less money.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote