Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
Dragon1973

Smile Hello from Southern Ontario Canada

Hi All. I'm new here. No trailer yet, but have our eye on a '20 1800RB to pull with my new '20 Tacoma.

Any tips, tricks for that trailer and truck?

Thanks!
Dragon1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
Sarge2

Welcome to a Canadian neighbor.... Sorry but I'm relatively new to this TT stuff so I'll bow to the people here that are truly "in the know"...
Sarg
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
Northofu1

Hello and welcome.
Enjoy your time here.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
travelin texans

Sorry! But the weight police in me has to speak!
Check ALL the numbers on YOUR truck, I guess a Tacoma is called one, BEFORE spending any $$$$ on a RV.
The Tacoma's are great for handyman trips to the hardware store, towing a small boat or utility trailer, but were not/are not designed to tow big long square wind catchers such as travel trailers.
DO NOT use any weights from salesmen, brochures, dry RV weights or max truck tow weights, ALL are absolutely useless numbers to you & will only cause you grieve & $$$. Use the payload from YOUR trucks drivers door tag, the GVWR of the specific RV from the tag on the driverside front corner.
Not trying to be a downer, rather trying keep you & yours safe while enjoying the RV lifestyle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Dragon1973

I'm well aware of the gcwr limitations of the Tacoma... the 1800rb is a dry weight of just 3,400 lbs and a total weight limit of 4500. Well under the "limit" of 7600 of the Tacoma. I would have gotten a 1500 or f150 if I could. My parking limits the size of vehicle I could get... even the new Ranger was too tall. And most SUVs cannot tow worth beans.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon1973 View Post
I'm well aware of the gcwr limitations of the Tacoma... the 1800rb is a dry weight of just 3,400 lbs and a total weight limit of 4500. Well under the "limit" of 7600 of the Tacoma. I would have gotten a 1500 or f150 if I could. My parking limits the size of vehicle I could get... even the new Ranger was too tall. And most SUVs cannot tow worth beans.
What does the yellow and white sticker on the drivers door jam say for passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxxxlbs? That is your limiting factor. You’ll be at 700lbs young weight and still need a hitch and everything else you out in your vehicle including passengers weight to stay under the door sticker number.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #7
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome from Oregon!

Whatever you end up with, enjoy!

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:54 AM   #8
WNY Bullet

I used to pull a 17' Clipper with our Tacoma and the transmission did shift hunt a lot. The gearing of the Tacoma is set up more for fuel economy than pulling things. It will pull your trailer, but it will work at it.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:30 AM   #9
Dragon1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
What does the yellow and white sticker on the drivers door jam say for passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxxxlbs? That is your limiting factor. You’ll be at 700lbs young weight and still need a hitch and everything else you out in your vehicle including passengers weight to stay under the door sticker number.
I assume you mean tongue or hitch weight. Yea, that is a concern - hopefully I can keep it at/near it's rating of 480 pounds. I'll have to figure out how to measure it when loaded - and of course I'll have a good weight distribution hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
I used to pull a 17' Clipper with our Tacoma and the transmission did shift hunt a lot. The gearing of the Tacoma is set up more for fuel economy than pulling things. It will pull your trailer, but it will work at it.
Good to hear it. I have watched all the you-tube videos of guys trailer with the Tacoma. Some I think push it wayyyy to much, but it will do it. The thought crossed my mind more than once, to see if I can get a higher ratio gear swap done. For this, and general drive ability actually. In normal mode it wants to shift way too soon all the time, then has to shift again to maintain the speed. Does ECT help very much? I've not towed anything big yet that would make a difference.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:46 AM   #10
CrazyCain

Welcome to the forum from Michigan!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:56 AM   #11
Northofu1

I take it you don't have a tow haul mode button for tranny?

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:57 AM   #12
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Good to hear it. I have watched all the you-tube videos of guys trailer with the Tacoma. Some I think push it wayyyy to much, but it will do it. The thought crossed my mind more than once, to see if I can get a higher ratio gear swap done. For this, and general drive ability actually. In normal mode it wants to shift way too soon all the time, then has to shift again to maintain the speed. Does ECT help very much? I've not towed anything big yet that would make a difference.
ETC did help and they recommend that you keep it from going into Overdrive. What did help the shift points was installing a ShiftSense™ Pro V2. It electronically changes the shift points. It's not cheap, but it was worth the money.

https://www.dz-custom-innovations.co...shiftsense-pro

Old 06-19-2020, 05:20 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I assume you mean tongue or hitch weight. Yea, that is a concern - hopefully I can keep it at/near it's rating of 480 pounds. I'll have to figure out how to measure it when loaded - and of course I'll have a good weight distribution hitch.

The published hitch weight of 480 lbs. is a number that you will never, ever see. That number is based on the empty weight as it left the factory. As soon as the transporter put a battery in it that number went up. When the trailer arrives at the dealer the dealer installs a new battery and propane tanks. Then you take it home and load it up and the number changes again. The only way to know what that number is is to weigh the unit at a scale.

The trailer you are looking at has a gvwr 4,400 lbs. Tongue weight should be 10%-15% of the total trailer weight. If you go in the center and say 13% then 4,400 X .13 = 571 lbs. Now that's a guesstimate and will depend on how the trailer is made (water tank up front, more storage in the front) and how you load it.

Next you take the payload number (that sticker that says shall no exceed xxx lbs) let's say that's 1,200 lbs just as an exercise. Subtract the tongue weight from that, subtract another 120 lbs for a weight distributing hitch, so 1,200-571-120=590 lbs remaining payload. Now from THAT 590 lbs subtract everything that wasn't in the truck when it came from the factory like tools, mats, pets, klids, spouse , toys, bikes, firewood, ice chest, tonneau cover, hitch, aftermarket brake controller, gps, your phones and phone chargers, snacks, food, etc.

The transmission "searching for a gear" constantly down/upshifting will lead to premature transmission failure as the heat from the tourque converter will take it's toll. If your truck has a "tow hual mode" then it should be engaged while towing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #14
Dragon1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I take it you don't have a tow haul mode button for tranny?
yea, that's the ECT switch.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:31 AM   #15
Dragon1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
ETC did help and they recommend that you keep it from going into Overdrive. What did help the shift points was installing a ShiftSense™ Pro V2. It electronically changes the shift points. It's not cheap, but it was worth the money.

https://www.dz-custom-innovations.co...shiftsense-pro
Niiice! On my to order list. I was looking at an OCTune, but it costs way more, and you need more hardware (Laptop) and, have to uninstall before going back to the dealer. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #16
Dragon1973

Quote:
Niiice! On my to order list. I was looking at an OCTune, but it costs way more, and you need more hardware (Laptop) and, have to uninstall before going back to the dealer. Thanks for the tip!
Ordered! Cannot wait for it to get here now. My #1 complaint about the truck is the terrible hunting that it always seems to be doing.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #17
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Ordered! Cannot wait for it to get here now. My #1 complaint about the truck is the terrible hunting that it always seems to be doing.
Not the cure-all, but it definitely helped.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

71. Before towing, confirm your vehicle and trailer are compatible, hooked up and loaded properly and that you have any necessary additional equipment. Do not exceed any Weight Ratings and follow all instructions in your Owner's Manual. The maximum you can tow depends on base curb weight plus the total weight of any cargo, occupants, and added vehicle equipment. "Added vehicle equipment" includes additional standard/optional equipment and accessories added by the manufacturer, dealers, and/or vehicle owners. The only way to be certain of your vehicle's exact curb weight is to weigh your vehicle without passengers or cargo. [Calculated with the new SAE J2807 method.] Installation of a tow hitch receiver or other accessories located near the rear bumper may require disabling or removing the kick sensor, and the sensor operation setting in your vehicle should be turned off. See Owner's Manual for limitations.

The above is an excerpt from the Toyota Tacoma owner's manual. Note the red portions.

As has been mentioned, the Tacoma is a handy, capable little pickup when used for what it was designed for; towing an RV isn't one of them. The issues that have been discussed about the transmission is just one indicator of the shortcomings the truck, and the design, has when it comes to towing an RV and puts the owner on notice that they are about to put the truck in over its head.

Another is the max hitch weight of 640 lbs. Note that a 4400 lb. trailer will have a tongue weight of 572 lbs. (that is loaded weight. The dry tongue weight listed became a fairy tale number when the trailer rolled out of the door at the factory). Add 125lbs. for a GOOD wdh (a huge must with an inadequate truck) and you are now at 697 which exceeds the hitch weight limit of the truck (read the red highlight above).

You have been asked about the yellow sticker on the driver door. Post those numbers along with cab configuration/drivetrain and you will get a better idea of where you are. The max tow number you have cited is meaningless. You cited 7600lbs. The best I could find for any 2020 Tacoma configuration was 6400. Still above the gvw of your trailer...but still meaningless. The kicker is it could be only 3500 lbs. depending on the configuration of YOUR truck. The brochures do not, and cannot, speak to a particular truck....only the sticker in the door.

It is great that you are asking before you buy. So many don't and so many end up asking why things don't work, worrying constantly....or worse. Do your best to get it right the first time by understanding the numbers and what they mean. Good luck. We love for folks to feel the happiness of buying a new RV AND knowing that they have made a wise, safe choice.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

OP just for information, and so you can see how a situation like yours progresses, here is a link to another thread from a member with a similar situation and his solution. Read the first post and then post 98....

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=40704
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #20
DetnNet

Welcome to the forum
DetnNet is offline   Reply With Quote