Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
rush2112

Keystone Outback 335CG

Wanted to pass along some information on this smaller toyhauler for future buyers.

Pin weight without a weight distribution hitch is right at 1500lbs. My LP tanks are about half full, and I've added an additional battery to the tray. Other than that, we only have around 100lbs of other stuff loaded in the front. Not much else loaded in the kitchen area that probably totals another 100lbs.

My dealer told me that my Ram 1500 would do the job. If it was the total weight then yes, the truck would be within the limits. But the tongue weight on this trailer, adding any cargo in the truck, and of course you and your spouse, it's way too much for your typical 1500 truck. Heck, I've seen a few 250's and 2500's that have less than 2000lbs of cargo capacity that would be near their limits.

I have been pulling with a GMC 2500 with 2380 cargo capacity. I'm using an Equalizer Hitch rated at 1400lbs. I'd say it's done the job, but if I would have known, I may have gone with the Reese Dual Cam setup rated for 1700lbs. Had this hitch with a larger toyhauler years ago and it was really good.

Hope this helps future families looking to get a toyhauler of this kind. It really is nice to have a smaller trailer than your typical 5th wheeler going down the road. The space in the garage is perfect for 1 bike or 1 golf cart not lifted. And if you don't carry this type of toy, perfect for bikes, grilles, and to use the room as a kids area with 2 beds.

With that said, we will be selling after we use at Christmas. Wife has decided we need to carry more toys. Go figure.... BUT, I got to go buy a new Ram 3500.... YES... LOVE IT.....
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
Wanted to pass along some information on this smaller toyhauler for future buyers.

Pin weight without a weight distribution hitch is right at 1500lbs. My LP tanks are about half full, and I've added an additional battery to the tray. Other than that, we only have around 100lbs of other stuff loaded in the front. Not much else loaded in the kitchen area that probably totals another 100lbs.

My dealer told me that my Ram 1500 would do the job. If it was the total weight then yes, the truck would be within the limits. But the tongue weight on this trailer, adding any cargo in the truck, and of course you and your spouse, it's way too much for your typical 1500 truck. Heck, I've seen a few 250's and 2500's that have less than 2000lbs of cargo capacity that would be near their limits.

I have been pulling with a GMC 2500 with 2380 cargo capacity. I'm using an Equalizer Hitch rated at 1400lbs. I'd say it's done the job, but if I would have known, I may have gone with the Reese Dual Cam setup rated for 1700lbs. Had this hitch with a larger toyhauler years ago and it was really good.

Hope this helps future families looking to get a toyhauler of this kind. It really is nice to have a smaller trailer than your typical 5th wheeler going down the road. The space in the garage is perfect for 1 bike or 1 golf cart not lifted. And if you don't carry this type of toy, perfect for bikes, grilles, and to use the room as a kids area with 2 beds.

With that said, we will be selling after we use at Christmas. Wife has decided we need to carry more toys. Go figure.... BUT, I got to go buy a new Ram 3500.... YES... LOVE IT.....
A 10,500 pound GVW trailer that's 37' long behind a half ton truck ???? What was your dealer smoking when he made that statement ????

I'd be extremely reluctant to attempt that kind of trailer with my F250 superduty diesel.... That trailer is in the one ton, and with that kind of length, possibly in the DRW range....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
rich_d

Dealer told me my Dodge 3500 would be "more than enough truck" to pull a Carbon 347 5th Wheel Toy Hauler that we were looking at..... Dealers will tell you whatever they can to seal the deal. There is no liability on their part once you leave the lot.

Turns out the pin weight of the 5th wheel was far more than my truck was rated for, total dry weight of the Hauler was more than my truck was rated to tow total.

Always do your own research on how much your truck can haul.
rich_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_d View Post
Dealer told me my Dodge 3500 would be "more than enough truck" to pull a Carbon 347 5th Wheel Toy Hauler that we were looking at..... Dealers will tell you whatever they can to seal the deal. There is no liability on their part once you leave the lot.

Turns out the pin weight of the 5th wheel was far more than my truck was rated for, total dry weight of the Hauler was more than my truck was rated to tow total.

Always do your own research on how much your truck can haul.
Congratulations on doing your due diligence . Most people would have said great! Then after a couple of "drawer changing experiences" join the forum, ask for help, then want to argue that it's o.k., they travel light, camp within 50 miles, and don't go on windy days.

Thanks for posting a refreshing story.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, outback