Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 05:07 AM   #61
Mongoose9400

We bought our toy hauler 5er to haul toys...toy dogs and all their equipment. The 13’ garage holds their kennels and grooming gear as we camp on site (usually) at dog shows. Sometime we stay at a nearby park because it’s cheaper than want the venue wants to charge. The people at parks always get a kick out of our gang of cavaliers.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #62
Dadwoolery

Big Dogs

Unlike most of the posts here, we travel with big dogs. Our small one weighs 110 lbs (Great Dane), the big girl is 165 lbs (English Mastiff). Why 2? Why not. When the Mastiff was a pup, my son came to visit while on leave with his dog. When he left, the Mastiff whined, looking for the other dog, so we got the Dane for company. It is only the wife and I, so we took the back seat out of our 4 door dually and built a bed where the seat was. The dogs have traveled to California and back and never had a problem.

We do not take them into stores unless it is a pet store. Yes, it can be difficult sometimes to limit the amount of time we "tourist", but it is what we have decided to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Dogs.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	24315  
2000 Ford F350 DRW, 7.3 Powerstroke
Dadwoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #63
German Shepherd Guy

Great looking dogs Ron.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:00 AM   #64
flybouy
Site Team

Personally I hate pests and considered my In-Laws as the biggests pests there are!

Oh, you said PETS.

Yes, we are down to one Brittany Spaniel and he comes before the PESTS.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:29 PM   #65
NH_Bulldog

We travel with our two English Bulldogs, one Netherland Dwarf Lop bunny and one 9 year old daughter. We all fit quite comfortably and since my wife is a clean freak, our trailer is always clean looking and smelling. Whether at home, on the road, inside or outside English Bulldogs are the perfect companion, all they do is sleep!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6D8EBF9B-C6FA-418F-9484-A0B7E99D18F4.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	41762   Click image for larger version

Name:	0852E6AB-0CE7-4539-8F05-45B02740CE01.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	41763   Click image for larger version

Name:	18C28201-B34A-4CA3-A71B-76689B63FAB4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	41764   Click image for larger version

Name:	58A38D83-1BC1-4EA7-9BFD-4A4C9D262B5D.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	880.2 KB
ID:	41765  
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #66
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I started this in a welcome response to a new forum member, but thought it best to start a new thread
Why is it that folks have multiple pets in rvs?? 4 dogs to deal with? Why 4?
Every RV sales site you look at the 1st items on the description of a used rv are "non smoker, no pets" which the non smoker is 50/50, but no pets is more like 90/10 that there were multiple pets.
We are the odd ones, once we went fulltime we did not want pets, always had them til then, to hinder us from going when/where we wanted.
We met a couple that carry a zoo along, dogs, cats, birds, reptiles all in a too small (it was 38', but too small for all that inside) of a 5th wheel.
I think the German Shepherd guy on here shows his dogs, that's another thing altogether, but those that just have take multiple pets puzzles me.
The other question is when did EVERYONE have to take their pet into every place they go. If they are a registered service dog that's not a problem for me, but it should be marked with a vest or something apparent that it is in fact a service dog, not just cause they can't leave Fifi home alone.
Ok now let me have it from all the pet owners out there!
Good Lord, this is the ultimate cranky old man post. Get off my lawn kid! Seriously, why does it matter to you what other people do? Unless a neighboring camper’s dog won’t quit barking, is aggressive or is rampaging loose in the campground, I don’t care if they bring dogs or kids. Honestly, I’ve seen more unruly kids than pets. No one needs to explain to you why they do something.

Our friends have three Vizla’s they camp with all the time. Quiet and well behaved dogs, plus their two kids ages 8 and 5. They’re happy and having fun, so what do I care? We travel with our 7 year old Lab. She’s my wife’s shadow and an immaculately behaved dog. She has her therapy dog certification and is fun to bring along, she LOVES going camping. She’s not a bother, is not a barker, and people love to throw her ball. Wouldn’t think of camping without her. And no, there’s not a smell or piles of dog hair in our rig from her.

Although I’ll concede I’m not a fan of dogs in a restaurant, I couldn’t care less if the bring them into Home Depot or anywhere else they’re allowed. I rarely even notice them. Honestly, maybe spend some of that idle time pondering why some kids are unruly and disrespectful instead of pining away the day wondering why someone does something you don’t “like” or “agree” with. Since you don’t even have a rig, why does it matter to you? Maybe a better question to ask…
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:18 PM   #67
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Good Lord, this is the ultimate cranky old man post. Get off my lawn kid! Seriously, why does it matter to you what other people do? Unless a neighboring camper’s dog won’t quit barking, is aggressive or is rampaging loose in the campground, I don’t care if they bring dogs or kids. Honestly, I’ve seen more unruly kids than pets. No one needs to explain to you why they do something.

Our friends have three Vizla’s they camp with all the time. Quiet and well behaved dogs, plus their two kids ages 8 and 5. They’re happy and having fun, so what do I care? We travel with our 7 year old Lab. She’s my wife’s shadow and an immaculately behaved dog. She has her therapy dog certification and is fun to bring along, she LOVES going camping. She’s not a bother, is not a barker, and people love to throw her ball. Wouldn’t think of camping without her. And no, there’s not a smell or piles of dog hair in our rig from her.

Although I’ll concede I’m not a fan of dogs in a restaurant, I couldn’t care less if the bring them into Home Depot or anywhere else they’re allowed. I rarely even notice them. Honestly, maybe spend some of that idle time pondering why some kids are unruly and disrespectful instead of pining away the day wondering why someone does something you don’t “like” or “agree” with. Since you don’t even have a rig, why does it matter to you? Maybe a better question to ask…

You might note that you are responding to a 3+ year old comment.

As far as dogs in a campground I'm of 2 minds; I love dogs and they love me. I hate dogs owned by irresponsible owners that believe they can let their dogs do what they want because the owners don't care. Leash rules? Not for us, we don't do that. Barking? Not when we're here (but they DO and NEVER stop when they leave them 8 hours a day). I guess my biggest is those that believe they don't need a leash nor pick up after pup. Me and my dog have been attacked multiple times by those "perfect", "never done nothin wrong dogs" owned by the types of owners I've mentioned. I keep a wary eye on all dogs because most owners I run into fall into "I'll follow the rules unless no one is looking" category....then they run into me. Folks have a right to feel how they do about most anything. I try to pick up on that and respond accordingly.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #68
bgrhrdt

Our Lab has RVd with us over the past 10 years through all of the lower 48. Wouldn't think of leaving him behind.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:01 PM   #69
LHaven

Quote:
Our friends have three Vizla’s they camp with all the time. Quiet and well behaved dogs
Yeah, that breed is unusually quiet.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #70
travelin texans

Quote:

You are right I do not currently have a rv, but spent 10+ years fulltime & 45 years rving parking next to all kinds of critters, some were kids, most didn't bother us, some were a royal PITA.
Honestly I've not lost one second of sleep wondering why anyone does anything, or think about me :hint, hint, as along as it doesn't affect me, then if/when it does I'll take appropriate actions. Other than the 10 years fulltime we've always had pets & currently have 1.
I am however scratching my head why you felt the need to resurrect a 3 year thread just to give me a scolding for posting my opinion, now I'm so upset it may take a minute & half for me to go to sleep thinking about what you've said about me.
Safe travels for you & your pets!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:34 PM   #71
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You might note that you are responding to a 3+ year old comment.

As far as dogs in a campground I'm of 2 minds; I love dogs and they love me. I hate dogs owned by irresponsible owners that believe they can let their dogs do what they want because the owners don't care. Leash rules? Not for us, we don't do that. Barking? Not when we're here (but they DO and NEVER stop when they leave them 8 hours a day). I guess my biggest is those that believe they don't need a leash nor pick up after pup. Me and my dog have been attacked multiple times by those "perfect", "never done nothin wrong dogs" owned by the types of owners I've mentioned. I keep a wary eye on all dogs because most owners I run into fall into "I'll follow the rules unless no one is looking" category....then they run into me. Folks have a right to feel how they do about most anything. I try to pick up on that and respond accordingly.
Welcome Danny to the CRANKY OLD MAN Club!
We can sit 'round the campfire & complain about irresponsible pet owners together.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:10 AM   #72
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I am however scratching my head why you felt the need to resurrect a 3 year thread just to give me a scolding for posting my opinion, now I'm so upset it may take a minute & half for me to go to sleep thinking about what you've said about me.
Safe travels for you & your pets!
Technically, he did not resurrect the thread, the response prior to his did.

As for me/us, we have a yellow lab that goes on all of our camping trips with us. He loves it. There are times where he will get up in the back seat of the truck while I am getting everything ready, and I'll look over and he is laying there with the look of "come on, I'm ready to go".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dog.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	41769  
Old 09-27-2022, 06:31 AM   #73
wiredgeorge

AND... if you look at sale ads for used campers MANY if not MOST say: No smoking or pets... when we go to a campground most campers have a mutt or two and sometimes cats. Go figger.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #74
LHaven

When we began RVing in 1998, we took our golden/lab mix male with us on a year-long trip around the USA with the two of us and our 10-year-old. It was a great experience for him -- he got to chase geese in the Potomac, learn all about cholla, discover the fun of prairie dogs, and treadmill-swim the Madison River.

In 24 years, we've taken three generations of his line along with us on our many trips, and our son is now taking the fourth traveling with him in a motorhome of his own.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:34 PM   #75
gearhead

Y’all are incredible dog mind readers.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:04 AM   #76
notanlines

Spade, how were his actions when you and Momma had a trip to the vet lined up for him? I'll bet he could sense it and stayed away. Our Dachshund would run and hide as far away from the door as possible. He could sense that it was vaccination time again....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:38 AM   #77
German Shepherd Guy

Definitely of two minds here. We travel with German Shepherds. 7 of 10 people we meet are afraid of German Shepherds so we have to be very cognizant of that. We never leave the Shepherds unattended in the RV. I mean what could go wrong if we did?? So when we pleasure RV with the dogs it is to outback type camping where we have no neighbors. I do not trust people who do not have dogs or cats but that does not mean everyone who has a dog should have one or that they should bring them along. For the most part I have found people with large breeds are more conscientious about how their dogs affect others than people with small breeds but that is a generalization and like all generalizations is subject to error. I agree with Danny about irresponsible owners, but that goes hand in hand with irresponsible parents in my observations. I like animals. I like seeing them and having them near. Even the Bear who has taken to ignoring the dogs and coming into the yard anyway. Well ignoring isn't the right word, more like timing his visits to when they are inside. I have found a large wooden spoon and a fry pan banged repeatedly will drive him from the yard and he keeps people away as an added bonus.

When Carrie and I are traveling to a developed RV campground we will leave the dogs at home, more for their safety and convenience than ours.
As to bad dog owners, not much can be done about them as with bad parents. There should be a test you have to pass in both cases.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:04 AM   #78
Canonman

One other thing to consider.
Traveling in the RV "allowed" us to take our Sassy Dog on trips with us rather than leave her home with relatives. It was hard/impossible to travel with Sassy utilizing airplanes, motels and eating in restaurants. She was a good traveler, enjoyed camping and we enjoyed having her with us.
That in mind, we expect to see pets with their owners when camping. We find most folks are as conscientious about their responsibilities with pets as they are with their kids. Maybe it's an out west thing, but we've not run into any issues with either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MGL0182-Pano.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	41801  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:20 AM   #79
jasin1

we had our kids with us at the ocean a couple of weeks ago with their dogs…both well behaved dogs..red heeler and a golden retriever BUT it was annoying that the people next to us and the people across from us both left for the day and left their dogs inside the trailer…they left all the windows open and the dog next to us probably had a sore throat from barking ALL DAY.

please people if your gonna leave your dog behind maybe wait outside for 10 min and see if your dog will be annoying to everyone else at the campground.

i’d turn the radio on or the tv for the dog and close the windows so they don’t react to every little noise they hear…you have to remember they are probably scared and wondering wtf happened to land them in this strange place without their owners

ps if your worried about the ac failing and making it too hot for the dogs while your gone then maybe just don’t leave them alone
Old 09-28-2022, 10:11 AM   #80
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Spade, how were his actions when you and Momma had a trip to the vet lined up for him? I'll bet he could sense it and stayed away. Our Dachshund would run and hide as far away from the door as possible. He could sense that it was vaccination time again....
Actually just took him yesterday morning. He is pretty good with the vet. Had his blood taken and a couple shots and no issues. Fireworks are the only thing that seem to bother him.

One of our previous dogs was not so good with the vet and needed a muzzle for that type of visit.