Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Papa Steve

2015 Passport ultra Lite elite front cap delamination

Are there replacement front caps for the Passport Ultra Lite RV's?
Old 08-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The 2015 Passport Elite does not have a "front cap" in the conventional sense. There is a sheet of "flat FILON" that is draped over the front, secured on the top, sides and about 3/4 of the way down, on the bottom. The extreme lower section is "diamond plate" (probably plastic rather than aluminum).

You can order the FILON sheeting from any RV dealership or from Trekwood.com or many other online RV parts sources.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
GMcKenzie

How hard is it to remove the existing filon, reglue and put the old one back? I've got some minor delam that looks more heat related than water related (but am not 100% sure, just nothing inside the trailer).

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

This may come across the wrong way (not intended to be ugly) but removing the old FILON, regluing it and making it look "like new again" is about the same as blowing up a balloon, letting the air out and trying to push it back into shape so it looks like it's never been inflated.

Once FILON stretches and deforms from "oil-canning" it usually won't ever lay flat again, even if you had a place to "re-laminate the sheet to a substrate and press it evenly until the adhesive cured. The factory uses a large roller system to press the FILON and substrate together, then uses a vacuum to keep them "in contact" until the adhesive cures. It's somewhere between impossible and magic to match the process "in the driveway or on the garage floor".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
duh1

Can new sheets be used to replaced the old denominated front end? Ours looks bad, think the leak is taken care of, but is nearly ten years old with about 70,000 miles on it. Any advice would be appreciated .
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #6
Papa Steve

Looks like Keystone changed the front of the 2016 Passport ultra elite to a hard cap. Anyone know if the 2016 front cap can be used in place of the filon panel used on the 2015 Passport ultra elite that delaminates?
Old 06-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

The front Filon sheet is not “laminated” like the side walls or the floor. It can be replaced relatively easily with the right knowledge and tools.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #8
okieken

front Filon sheet

I have a very similar issue with my 2015 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite. I'm not real sure it's caused by water. It wouldn't surprise me, but it does look more like heat buckling. The top seam is well maintained, and no sign of water inside or underneath. Regardless, it looks terrible and I'm wanting to put the camper up for sale soon. I'm pretty handy with things. I believe I could replace the front, with the help of one other person, but where would I buy a sheet of this stuff? And what about the emblems? The color of our Bullet is slightly off-white. It almost looks dirty, but it's the same color all the way around, top to bottom. So I'd hate to use some standard plain white. Are there places to purchase this stuff - and in various colors?

Thanks a ton for any help.
okieken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport