Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2020, 07:01 AM   #21
hankaye

mfifield01, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
It looks like New Mexico just restricted travel by vehicle for 14 days. I currently plan on passing through to get to CO. Not sure what this means for a self contained RV. I don't plan to use any facilities (besides gas) on my way through the state.

https://cv.nmhealth.org/2020/07/01/s...DGO-etL-Br_1OM
So far, not much enforcement. Not by the County or Locals anyway. Our
Governor, is acting like a petulant child. Unfortunately, it effects us all.
Yesterday, there were all sorts of Texans up at Elephant Butte for the 4th.
Here's a link to the States C-V status and a Local (Abq.), Tv station for
some more up to date information;
https://www.krqe.com/health/coronavirus/

Also, bear in mind that if you are planning to go through Farmington it IS technically part of the Navajo Reservation which is under 57 hour lock-downs
for the weekends.

Have fun, hope you make the trip and can report what you encountered.

Happy 4th. Celebrating FREEDOM ... ,

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #22
JWS

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will keep the 160 route as a possibility. I'm sure the better route is through NM to Pagosa Sprgs. If I hit a road block I can turn around or play dumb. Never needed training for that!
JWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #23
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
We've been going up 287 to Pagosa since the 1970's , mostly to elk hunt. There are some pretty good pulls around Chama and Chromo. I've been up Raton Pass but it was quite a while ago. I don't think Raton is near as bad as it was.
That said, going north out of Dumas to hit 160, and then going west is a long way north.
I'm debating whether to just chance it going through New Mexico. They didn't send me a letter saying not to. I'm pretty good at playing dumb.
I'm going through New Mexico. I'm keeping my current reservation in Clovis. I will stop there and then drive to Durango the next day. It's a voluntary quarantine (and local lodging is supposed to report). I called the RV Park in Clovis, they said it's fine as long as you don't go shopping, etc.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Well, for everyone's 4th of July musical entertainment (Happy Independence Day!) here's a version of Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas by Bob Wills. As a note, KDDD radio station derived its name from the song (DDD = ding dong daddy).

Edit: Forgot the link;

Hope everyone is having a beautiful day. It rained all day yesterday, has been raining for hours today and is supposed to rain for the next couple of days. During the monsoon yesterday I asked the lady at Dollar General if they had any more "rubber duckies". She said they were sold out and suggested some pool noodles. Got them and lashed about 10 of them around me and tried them in the bay.....needless to say I'm not a lightweight anymore! - they, and I, just stayed on the bottom (the bay might be 4' deep).

With that sobering experience in mind went to the local marina to inquire about something better than noodles or rubber duckies. The fellow there was very knowledgeable and guided me to what he thought would be ideal for someone with my "stature" (as in portly) ;

https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/sea-...69-515621.html

It was pretty but sure seemed big just to try to stay afloat and I told him so. He just looked at me up and down and asked "and how did those noodles work for you"? Got me there. DW said she thinks I'm crazy but told her it might be fun to just float around in the bay (don't want to fall over and drown)! - plus, in a day or 2 with this rain I'll be able to tie up to the tree here by the RV.......
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny,

You're gonna need to trade that new truck for a diesel (not a pickup but a FreightLiner) to tow that 41' boat on a quadruple axle trailer..... 1050 HP on the back of an "outboard boat" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #26
gearhead

Danny send a little of that rain this way. Just a little.
I like that old western swing. We've seen Asleep at the Wheel several times in Houston. They do that music very well. A couple years ago we had them here in town for a benefit for the Liberty Education Foundation. Very small setting, the Catholic Church activity building. Had maybe 100 folks. Up close and personal. I'm pretty sure they cut us a special rate for charity.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
DW & I grew up in Dumas & couldn't tell you who sang the song nor tell you the words, but was a good place to grow up then, now not so much. Unfortunately daughter & grandkids still live there.
Dumas had to be a better place to grow up than the working side of Houston. All kind of trouble to get into.
Actually, Rodney Crowell wrote a song about it: "Ain't Living Long Like This". He would know as he grew up in the same area as me.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #28
hankaye

Howdy All;

Here's the latest;
https://nm-lascruces.civicplus.com/C...FWfIiudRTe13pE

From what I've seen most enforcement is in the Democratic Northern
part of the State. Mostly it is the State Police (they DO work for her Highness
the Queen of New Mexico), Smaller towns are more commonsense about it.

I have breathing problems as it is yet only use a bandanna when asked.
Otherwise it sits around my neck like a bandanna. I live in mild hypoxia
any way and the masks limit a clean exchange of co for 02. YMMV.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #29
JWS

Thanks for the update, link is very informative.
JWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #30
Harried Harry

Contrary to what has happened in some states, NM has avoided major outbreaks of the coronavirus. Wearing masks does help keep the small droplets of the COVID19 from spreading and may help keep the wearer from catching it.

I think travelling through you'll be okay, just fuel up as needed and keep on going. Be safe.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #31
gearhead

I guess I will go ahead and make reservations for a couple nights in Santa Fe. If it goes bad I'll let you know.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #32
roadglide

New Mexico has regressed into takeout food only . There’re law suits against governor Wuhan. Champs my back side because I follow it closely I have posted when I’m back home I will be there .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I guess I will go ahead and make reservations for a couple nights in Santa Fe. If it goes bad I'll let you know.
This might be helpful:

https://www.newmexico.gov/2020/07/07...ons-in-effect/

I have a lot to say about the Lujan's having lived in NM for decades but it is what it is. Stay safe.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:22 AM   #34
KSH

Was going to head that way in a few days to see the Carlsbad caverns. I heard it's open again.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:54 AM   #35
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Was going to head that way in a few days to see the Carlsbad caverns. I heard it's open again.
You should call In and get reservations on tickets . There are a limited number of people that can enter the caverns per day . White’s campground is near the caverns . Batcave has been closed since March That’s one main attraction during the evening. It’s
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:05 AM   #36
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harried Harry View Post
Contrary to what has happened in some states, NM has avoided major outbreaks of the coronavirus. Wearing masks does help keep the small droplets of the COVID19 from spreading and may help keep the wearer from catching it.

I think travelling through you'll be okay, just fuel up as needed and keep on going. Be safe.
There is a lot debate on mask effectiveness but what is really true is that wearing a mask shows that you care about more than just yourself and are not ignorant of health and science best practices.
Now if you truly have a medical condition, then okay...but you probably should not be out and about anyway, right?
Old 07-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #37
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This might be helpful:

https://www.newmexico.gov/2020/07/07...ons-in-effect/

I have a lot to say about the Lujan's having lived in NM for decades but it is what it is. Stay safe.
Yep, sounds like the Houston area county commissioner El Commandante Lena Hidalgo. I believe she does things just to show she can. Glad I moved out.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
There is a lot debate on mask effectiveness but what is really true is that wearing a mask shows that you care about more than just yourself and are not ignorant of health and science best practices.
Now if you truly have a medical condition, then okay...but you probably should not be out and about anyway, right?
Sort of like men wearing pants with the belt loops around their waist rather than around there lower buttocks. Shows that they care more about the little old lady who is offended rather than just themself. And, that they are not "ignorant of indecent exposure laws" (that no longer are enforced, but still on the books)...

I'm not opposed to wearing a mask, but as long as it's optional or suggested or "administratively required" there's no "law that requires wear".

Before the responses, I just bought another 100 masks at HD for $19.99 per box of 50, so that should provide sufficient evidence that we do wear masks. However, the point is: People "pick and choose" what laws/policies they want to follow and ignore those laws/policies that don't matter to them.... The laws/policies "across the spectrum" carry the same requirement, so why do people speed, shoplift, wear "low pants" and not wear masks??? Maybe it's their way of "picking which ones they want to follow and which they'll ignore" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post

The above highlight is true. The increased "need" for masks in any given area seems to be driven more by politics and trying to fit a particular narrative than safety anymore.

That said, I too believe you need to wear a mask when you can't social distance. These rules saying you have to wear them in your yard while working, driving your car....anytime you are outside your home are ridiculous.

When the covid thing started the cdc and doctors were trying to give honest assessments about face masks, how they were effective, when they were effective etc. Those were honest efforts before every action, attempt, success, failure became politicized and weaponized. I believe the initial assessments of masks and their effectiveness were accurate and truthful. Now, with the off the wall mandates, guesses etc. not so much.

I think we need to be careful making judgements about anyone with or without a mask. I see folks with masks and they can be afraid, trying to comply with a perceived law, thinking of others or just trying to be in style. I doubt the majority of them are wearing them because they are only thinking of "the other guy"; they're thinking they don't have it and don't want to get it. We've already seen folks without masks attacked when they were breaking no law because someone judged that they should be. We don't need to go, or be, there.

As far as having a medical condition and "you shouldn't be out and about anyway"; just because someone says you need to stay at home and you have a medical condition didn't halt this other condition called "living". There are many things that must be done to continue that condition and some, if not many, require being "out and about".

Not being a smart aleck, just trying to point out there are LOTS of things that must be considered in this environment before we judge anyone for doing something we don't like. And yes, I have masks in my truck and a delivery of them coming tomorrow - wanted some designer ones to go with my T shirts and Justin work boots.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:21 AM   #40
Keystoned

Definitely a hot button topic. I wonder when I see people driving along in their own car with a mask on or walking around with nobody in sight for hundreds of feet. I think they missed the point.
Dr. Fauchi (sp) admitted the reluctance early on to recommend masks in certain situations because of a feared, and later proved, actual shortage for the health care workers.
I see a lot of 'lost cause' arguments on tv as to why some simply will not wear masks at all. I also see where many states that ignored Fauchi's guidance are now suffering greatly will overwhelmed hospitals. He didn't say 'I told you so' directly, but he did so in a way so as not to be a smart alec.
Yes, it's a small discomfort, but it's better than staying home in fear...