Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2020, 06:32 AM   #1
Javi

Samsung Refrigerator

We're selling our trailer because of the DW's health issues, but hopefully we can put that behind us one day soon and buy another trailer..

Seems that all we see when looking at them are the residential units by Samsung..

What have you've experienced with them so far.. especially those of you who DON'T fulltime.

Do you turn them off while in storage? if so how is that working for you..

Thanks
Old 06-25-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
We're selling our trailer because of the DW's health issues, but hopefully we can put that behind us one day soon and buy another trailer..

Seems that all we see when looking at them are the residential units by Samsung..

What have you've experienced with them so far.. especially those of you who DON'T fulltime.

Do you turn them off while in storage? if so how is that working for you..

Thanks
Based on personal experience with Samsung refrigerators, in my house and not bumping jarring, shaking going down the road in a trailer, I wouldn't take a brand new one if someone gave it to me. In my opinion, they are one of, if not the worst refrigerator made today. YMMV
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Javi I won't be the definitive answer on a Samsung fridge but I do own one and I don't full time. I've only had this trailer since March and I've made one long road trip (TX to FL) and spent approx. 7 weeks total in it. We have stayed 1, 2,4 nights in it a couple of times and about 6 weeks or so here in FL this stay.

I absolutely did not want a res fridge. I wanted the option of the gas/electric fridge for traveling. We do not "boondock" or dry camp; we use full hookups. After reading and reading about them I decided I would try one. I liked the simplicity of having the res fridge, the dependability and none of the shortcomings of a typical rv fridge. The reality?

I was totally worried when we first took it out for short stays but it worked just fine with nary a hitch. In fact I was pleased and DW was ecstatic. Now we've been staying here for a while and I have found no downsides to the fridge. Now if I was going to boondock or dry camp I would not have one. Otherwise, so far it has been perfectly dependable; the temp stays right where you set it, it does not ice or need defrosting every time you look up etc. The inverter is out of the way and performs flawlessly so far.

I don't know about Samsung fridges but I do know about their electronics and they are all I buy in TVs, cell phones etc. and I have never been disappointed once. So far this fridge is performing as well as everything else I've purchased from Samsung.

In a nutshell I would have to say this has been an excellent choice for us and our camping style. The icemaker works great and we no longer have to take our stand alone unit. The bottom freezer is cavernous and allows us to bring TX beef with us to FL when we come which is a huge plus to me. Good luck on the hunt and hope you are able to get back to camping soon.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
MattHelm21

Own one since 2016 and don’t full time. It’s operated flawlessly. It’s off with the doors open in the winter but the trailer stays plugged in on 50 Amp so I can keep the interior at 85 Degrees F in the summer to protect the Samsung compressor. Otherwise I’d be turning it off. It is great knowing you have the capacity and it is always cold. That cavernous Freezer Danny mentions is also a huge plus. We use ours as extra capactity for the S&B in the summer.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
Old Mustanger

On our 3rd year with ours and would never go back to the RV type fridge (DW absolutely will not boondock, says she had enough of that when we tent camped). Turn it off when home with the doors open (stick a small piece of wood n the freezer to keep it open just a crack). Turn it back on the day before any trip and it's cold enough to keep ice in the freezer and food in the fridge within 2 to 3 hours. Inverter keeps it cold on 8 hour trips before plugging into shore power. In my opinion they can't be beat if you don't plan to do any boondocking.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:56 AM   #6
notanlines

We also are in our third year with residential fridge and would never go back. Ours at home is a Samsung and works flawlessly. The one in the Suites is a Whirlpool and also works perfectly.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:02 AM   #7
Javi

Thanks for the information...

We're not buying but the DW enjoys going and looking on her good days... so we go look and dream...

Thanks again
Old 06-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #8
xrated

Just as a reference point to my previous post about Samsung refrigerators....Ours worked great too.....for 4 years and about 9 months....then the feces hit the oscillator and within a 2 week period was the Ice Maker failure, the evaporator fan failure, then the compressor...
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Just as a reference point to my previous post about Samsung refrigerators....Ours worked great too.....for 4 years and about 9 months....then the feces hit the oscillator and within a 2 week period was the Ice Maker failure, the evaporator fan failure, then the compressor...

Ahhh, but another beauty of the res fridge is cost. A replacement Samsung 3 door 18cf fridge is about 1000. At CW a Dometic 12 cf rv fridge is 3149. I can do the res all day long over that....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #10
Roscommon48

of course you turn them off while in storage. all of my storage is non electric and i just undo the negative wire on the batteries.

and we still prefer the RV refrigs over the 120 volt refrigs.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #11
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Thanks for the information...

We're not buying but the DW enjoys going and looking on her good days... so we go look and dream...

Thanks again
We love to window shop... We leave the wallet at home.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote