Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #1
HRTKD

Looking at a 2006 Raptor

A friend is selling his 2006 Raptor that he hasn't used much in the past few years. I have a 2006 Fleetwood Gearbox bumper pull toy hauler that I've spent a good 500 hours getting it back to reliable camping shape. Delamination, suspension, cabinetry, ceilings, loose ramp door frame, bent water tank crossmembers, insulate 120 gallon freshwater tank, install solar, repair air compressor, fix electrical, fix plumbing, you name it, I've probably had to (or chose to) do something to it. So I'm not unfamiliar with trailers and toy haulers, nor am I afraid to fix most things.

However, I'm not familiar with fifth wheel trailers or the Raptor line. I'm sure my friend will be up front about any issues that he knows about. It's the issues he doesn't know about that concern me.

Are there any critical/common issues with that model year? Any frame or structural problems?

He keeps it covered, which may not mean much. I'll stress test the generator and electrical system. The plumbing system will get pressurized and tested. I'll take a stroll on the roof and roll around under the trailer. The landing gear will get run up/down and the slide-outs will get run in/out. This is in the Denver area, so mold usually isn't a problem unless there haver been significant water leaks.
HRTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:54 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

A close look at the roof will tell you a lot. The roof shows black it means the pigment in the original roof is gone and the roof is nearing the end of its life. The black is the actual rubber color of the roof. Do check all the penetrations on the roof and look for cracks in the sealer; this will tell you about how the trailer was maintained. I think you have most of the rest of the main issues covered.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:38 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Lippert fifth wheel frames have a long history of weakness in the upper deck area. It most often "shows itself" in the lower left corner (bottom, forward part) of the bedroom slide cutout. Look for FILON cracks in that area. If you do see cracks, expect around $3K-5K to disassemble, reweld, strengthen and reassemble the trailer. Unless you're proficient in aluminum welding, that's one repair you'll not be able to do alone or in the driveway.

Other than that, most of the fifth wheel repairs are very similar to what you've already done on your other RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:09 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

What is the model number on this trailer?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:54 AM   #5
HRTKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Lippert fifth wheel frames have a long history of weakness in the upper deck area. It most often "shows itself" in the lower left corner (bottom, forward part) of the bedroom slide cutout. Look for FILON cracks in that area. If you do see cracks, expect around $3K-5K to disassemble, reweld, strengthen and reassemble the trailer. Unless you're proficient in aluminum welding, that's one repair you'll not be able to do alone or in the driveway.
I have a couple friends with Keystone Montana trailers that are less than 5 years old. The structural problems on those are significant. One trailer was bought back by Keystone this year due to a frame issue. The other trailer has bad/missing welds on the wall frame. Based on both their experiences I mostly know what to look for.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #6
HRTKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
What is the model number on this trailer?
I think it's a 3712TS. The cargo capacity of that specific model isn't much more than the capacity of my bumper pull toy hauler.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:18 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

My first question is how does he keep it covered? A "blue plastic tarp" will hold moisture and do more harm than good. A true "fitted" trailer cover should be made from a "breathable" fabric that will release moisture.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:26 AM   #8
HRTKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My first question is how does he keep it covered? A "blue plastic tarp" will hold moisture and do more harm than good. A true "fitted" trailer cover should be made from a "breathable" fabric that will release moisture.
It's the fitted type. I can see it on Google Maps, from both satellite and street views. It's parked next to a building that is taller than the trailer. So it has some protection from the wind. He's a busy guy so most of his "stuff" is professionally maintained. Though that isn't always a good thing.

Tags
raptor