Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
Hey Louie

Wilderness RV Mattress

The DW and I have been looking into replacing our mattress and I ran across Wilderness RV Mattress. More specifically the Montana Hybrid. We were also considering a Sleep Number RV5 went to the local Sleep Number store and wasn't overly impressed for vs the cost.

https://wildernessrvmattress.com/col...tana-pillowtop

Anyone here have one that would like to share the experience?
Thanks
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
jsb5717

No experience with that one. We bought an inexpensive solution that seems to work well for us. We sleep well on this mattress and topper

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

A choice of mattress is a personal preference, just ask Goldilocks. But this I can unequivocally say, ANY mattress you replace the OEM one with will be an improvement.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

This is just my opinion and I have no knowledge of the montana wilderness mattress line. I will say, however that ANY PRODUCT that has "RV" in the title will cost double or triple the MSRP of the same product without "RV" in the title, so, the 10" Montana Wilderness RV mattress is very similar to the 10" Zinus (non RV) mattress that's sold on Amazon for $226. It also has a 10 year limited warranty and if you're an Amazon Prime member, free shipping and free returns if you're not satisfied.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G1SLTN...07CYJ4V8N?th=1

Is it the same mattress? Probably not. Is it similar? Probably more than you'd want to admit if you paid $600+ for a mattress that has a "fancy organic cotton cover"...

I've found that all mattresses that are shipped in a vacuum bag, rolled up and delivered by UPS or FedEx aren't the same as mattresses that come flat, carried in by 2 strong deliverymen and are not "bendable in the middle"...

Your choice might be an excellent mattress, comfortable and easy to sleep on, but I'd suspect that with that "RV" in the name, it's priced much above the "non RV" model sold by the same company.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I love a king bed. We have had them in all our homes....S&B homes; regular king bed mattresses. The RV is a different animal. Our new 5vr to be picked up this week has a "king" bed...RV king bed. Useless to me. The size is not standard; I won't use the OEM mattress even when it is the "upgraded, premium residential model"....they just aren't comfortable or adequate. With that you have to remember that once you go beyond normal "residential" sizes you are now into custom sizes for not only the mattresses but all the sheets etc. Not for us.

The new trailer has a "king" bed; 72x80 if I recall...RV specific and more or less custom made. Looked at getting a replacement right of the bat...about 2300 if I recall without the build qualities I like in a mattress; non starter for me. Instead, I'm having the bed platform cut down to accommodate a residential queen (60x80) and having a new, very nice, pocket spring mattress delivered and put in.

Some folks swear by foam mattresses, or sleep by number. We can't stand deep foam (sweat) or the other kinds of gimmicks (IMO). Just left the mattress store this afternoon after paying for a new mattress to go in the 5vr. I can't make a Tempurpedic work for me so I guess I'm just stuck with the pocket coils....for us. Good luck on your search; a good mattress is mandatory for us.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
MarkEHansen

Be careful about making a mattress size decisions before measuring the space in the trailer. The brochures/specs just can't be trusted. Our trailer said it came with one size, but when we got it, it was a different size. When we called Keystone, they said they can just change the size as they wish.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #7
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Some folks swear by foam mattresses, or sleep by number. We can't stand deep foam (sweat) or the other kinds of gimmicks (IMO). Just left the mattress store this afternoon after paying for a new mattress to go in the 5vr. I can't make a Tempurpedic work for me so I guess I'm just stuck with the pocket coils....for us. Good luck on your search; a good mattress is mandatory for us.
I'm with you on this sourdough. I have yet to try a memory foam mattress that I have liked. That is what drew my attention to this one it actually has pocketed coils.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #8
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is just my opinion and I have no knowledge of the montana wilderness mattress line. I will say, however that ANY PRODUCT that has "RV" in the title will cost double or triple the MSRP of the same product without "RV" in the title, so, the 10" Montana Wilderness RV mattress is very similar to the 10" Zinus (non RV) mattress that's sold on Amazon for $226. It also has a 10 year limited warranty and if you're an Amazon Prime member, free shipping and free returns if you're not satisfied.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G1SLTN...07CYJ4V8N?th=1

Is it the same mattress? Probably not. Is it similar? Probably more than you'd want to admit if you paid $600+ for a mattress that has a "fancy organic cotton cover"...

I've found that all mattresses that are shipped in a vacuum bag, rolled up and delivered by UPS or FedEx aren't the same as mattresses that come flat, carried in by 2 strong deliverymen and are not "bendable in the middle"...

Your choice might be an excellent mattress, comfortable and easy to sleep on, but I'd suspect that with that "RV" in the name, it's priced much above the "non RV" model sold by the same company.....
Good points, but it looks like the dimensions are 76 x 80 and our current mattress is 72 x 80 don't think its going to fit. Is that not one of the main differences between an rv and residential mattresses? Also looks like the 10 inch king is $600 on amazon and the 12 inch is only $323 go figure.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
jsb5717

What size mattress do you want to end up with? Your current 72" wide is an RV King. The link in your original post is for a Queen mattress.

Ours came with a lousy RV King mattress but we downsized to the Queen that I linked earlier. It's our preference and also gives us more room around the bed
Old 03-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
What size mattress do you want to end up with? Your current 72" wide is an RV King. The link in your original post is for a Queen mattress.

Ours came with a lousy RV King mattress but we downsized to the Queen that I linked earlier. It's our preference and also gives us more room around the bed
We are looking for a king. I did not make the size selection prior to copying the link. Our golden retriever makes the king necessary.

When you switched to a queen did you need to cut down the platform?
Old 03-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
rjrelander

Also, don't forget to check door and hallway clearances, especially with larger mattresses. It may be the perfect size for the bed but still not be able to be wedged into the trailer. Even getting an old mattress out may be difficult. With some of these designs, I have to wonder if they put the mattresses in first and then build the trailer around them.

We were looking at some custom-built mattresses and one of the options was a split so you can fold it in half during installation. Not sure how much that would help. Didn't really like the idea of a hard seam down the middle though.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
Mikendebbie

We bought a queen 10" or 12" (can't remember which) foam mattress at Sams Club plus a 3" topper. Seems like the Sams mattress was $400-$500 and the topper was about $100. It sits taller than the OEM thing they called a mattress...more or less even with the bedroom side tables. Had the dealer cut the bed deck down a bit to fit the queen. Swapped the mattresses in the dealer parking lot the day we picked it up. Don't know what they did with my OEM mattress. I sleep better on the the Sam's mattress than the Leesa foam mattress+topper in the S&B.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Louie View Post
We are looking for a king. I did not make the size selection prior to copying the link. Our golden retriever makes the king necessary.

When you switched to a queen did you need to cut down the platform?

This wasn't addressed to me but since we are in the middle of doing it thought I would respond. The new trailer has the RV king but DW doesn't think there is enough room around it so going with the residential queen 60x80. The existing platform in our current trailer (plywood) is approx. 58" wide leaving about 1" overhang on the sides. The new trailer with the rv king has a 67" platform that they are cutting down to 58" to give us the additional room around the bed. DW is going to make some foam inserts to fill the gaps at the front corners. Under the plywood platform the "box" for storage is the same size between them, they just put a larger slab of plywood on top.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #14
jsb5717

I simply cut down our platform to 58" and it worked like a champ.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #15
chunker

And all the mattress problems that have been stated are why I ordered a queen in the Raptor 356. Possibly be here next week.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:33 AM   #16
NH_Bulldog

I would be sure to check actual measurements before you buy anything. We have a true residential Queen in ours as opposed to the short Queen (which is why most RV mattresses are custom and cost more). I am 6’3” tall (75”) so a typical RV short mattress (At 75”) isn’t going to cut it. We started out with a 3” gel infused foam topper over the factory mattress to get us by the first season, then simply went to the mattress store and bought a nice comfortable standard Queen mattress (60x80) and it fit into the camper perfectly. We have a front bedroom and it likely added a bit of tongue weight, but that isn’t an issue for our set-up.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #17
newemptynester

There was one thing we we purchased a new TT was that it had a residential size bed. First thing we did when we brought ours home was throw out the RV Mattress and bought a new memory foam mattress. The same mattress we have in the house. We had a small, awful RV mattress in our first trailer and could not stomach the cost of replacing it so we bought an 80 mattress topper and that helped but nothing like a real mattress. Good Luck.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #18
ebrowni

We reviewed options for about 2 years and decided to have a custom mattress made. We have a RV King in a Montana and chose to replace it with 2 XL Twin mattresses. We had each mattress made to our specs( one was memory foam and one was hybrid spring/foam) achieve the best possible option for both of us. They fit perfectly and are as good as the mattresses on our bed in our house. The cost was much less than I expected. We used the Texas Mattress Company in Katy, Texas.
ebrowni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #19
pdaniel

Quote:
The DW and I have been looking into replacing our mattress and I ran across Wilderness RV Mattress. More specifically the Montana Hybrid. We were also considering a Sleep Number RV5 went to the local Sleep Number store and wasn't overly impressed for vs the cost.

Thanks
We bought a Wilderness Montana Hybrid this past year. Good mattress although heavier than the thin “matress” Keystone and others put in their RVs.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #20
CampingRooster

Quote:

Thanks
Check out MattressInsider.com. We have purchased two mattresses from them and couldn't be happier! They have lots of sizing options specifically for RVs. The only reason we purchased two was we sold our first trailer and the buyer wouldn't buy it without the mattress because it was so comfortable. So we had to purchase a new one for our new trailer.
CampingRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress