Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Florida? Be Careful!

Having traveled to FL for the last 7 years it has become abundantly clear to me, and DW, that there are things here you need to be warned about and possibly steer clear of.

For the last many years we have traveled to FL for winter, spring etc. The first couple of years it was not noticeable, but it was for 2 months or so. Now, after 3 years of spending 5 months, it's indisputable....the state makes you FAT!!

The last 3 years I arrived back in TX 15-20 lbs. heavier than when I left. I return, work my tail off, and lose the weight only to return as soon as I've lost the weight and gain it again.....we think it's the salt air...or something.

In TX I don't eat sweets; I don't eat fried food and doc says I'm doing great. Land in FL and what happens? Great seafood everywhere (and yes, I love fried seafood and eat it at every chance) and, weirdly, I get an unstoppable craving for sweets. I buy sweets at every store I go to. The Winn Dixie has a WONDERFUL dark chocolate cake with an exquisite cream frosting....I buy one....and EAT it !! What to do, what to do?? We have determined it is the low altitude and high humidity...SO, all of those comtemplating coming here...BEWARE! At first I thought it was the beautiful blue water and the exercise of taking puppy out to the lake every day but now we are convinced it is the above...so, just be aware....or bring your exercise bike!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
rhagfo

Danny, you might want to watching the weight on your TV then. We really don't want you running over weight!

I do know what you mean about great food!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The truck's not going to be overweight YET....., but if I don't get a handle on my eating they'll have to pull me out with a forklift when I get home... AND, who would have ever thought low altitude, blue water and high humidity could have caused that??? You could knock me over with a feather!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:54 AM   #4
notanlines

All this talk about repairing relays in slides, leaks in black tanks and patching seams in rubber roofs leaving me lacking in interest. This latest talk about getting fat in Florida, fried shrimp, buying trucks to haul the bigger load; now THIS is a subject on which I can speak with authority.
Yesterday we took a short trip to Costco in Fort Myers for a pre-lunch, drove to Farmers Market Restaurant for chicken gizzards, potatoes and gravy (yeast rolls made on site) and made it back to the park in time for happy hour. I got my physical work-out later when I did a nice pork tenderloin on the grill.
Uh, did I mention I got carrot cake to go at the restaurant?
And don't let Danny fool you. He's not the fat-butt he might profess. I have met Danny and his DW Susan and he doesn't fit that mold...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:02 AM   #5
Frank G

Just checked the 10 day forecast, mid 70's to upper 80's and sunshine. Back to Costco for grilling supplies. Lobster Bisque is on sale.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:00 AM   #6
roadglide

I left my scale at home so I'm checking my weight by the seat of my pants and retired the belt on this Arizona trip. Danny there is nothing like fresh deep fried sea food for tast.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:41 AM   #7
CaptnJohn

Doc put me on Lipitor and had my gallbladder removed so I can eat all the fried I see. I live on th southern coast of NC and spend 3 months in Florida. Lots of fried everything including deep fried pork chops.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
travelin texans

We've wintered in Florida, Rio Grand valley in Texas, Texas Gulf coast & now the last 4 years in Arizona & everyone of those places have the same effect on my waist line. I think it's peer pressure from all the other snowbirds to eat, drink & be merry. It's a tough lifestyle, but ain't it FUN!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
Number 4

Hey Danny, eat well and enjoy! However, please check the tag to make sure you're not wearing a China bomb belt. If that buckle fails the flying metal could do damage!
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Danny, If you think vacationing here is fattening, try living here. The secret is that Florida comes with a built in sauna they call summer to melt away the extra pounds we put on in winter.

Yes, sea food must be fried or grilled at home. Grilling at a restaurant does not work for me. If I wanted it blackened I would let Lynn cook it.

Leave the exercise bike at home and just wear stretchy pants and loose tropical shirts and enjoy our fine cuisine and beautiful weather.

Gotta go ... it's happy hour and I hear a Grouper Ruben calling my name, Hank

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
Hey Danny, eat well and enjoy! However, please check the tag to make sure you're not wearing a China bomb belt. If that buckle fails the flying metal could do damage!
Ha!! It may get worse before it gets better. On a whim I bought a little bag of fried pork skins at a local meat market that cuts/grinds/smokes all their own meats, and where I buy all of my meat and sausages. The pork rinds were in little baggies in a cardboard box on the floor by the check out. Wow! They were outstanding! Went back yesterday and asked where they got them....they make their own fried pork skins when processing hogs! Well, I bought all the "hot" (really cajun) skins they had and promptly began to eat most of them. So, I figure these things are just another blow against my battle with overeating here.

As far as the belt/buckle exploding....they won't. I buy custom, American made gun belts from the "Beltman" (Jim Speidel). They are extremely stout. Recently I believe he sold the business and have not bought any belts made under the new owners (I have 4 hanging in my closet), but, if I grow enough to make one of these explode....heaven have mercy!!!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Danny, If you think vacationing here is fattening, try living here. The secret is that Florida comes with a built in sauna they call summer to melt away the extra pounds we put on in winter.

Yes, sea food must be fried or grilled at home. Grilling at a restaurant does not work for me. If I wanted it blackened I would let Lynn cook it.

Leave the exercise bike at home and just wear stretchy pants and loose tropical shirts and enjoy our fine cuisine and beautiful weather.

Gotta go ... it's happy hour and I hear a Grouper Ruben calling my name, Hank

You are 100% right on the above. We learned the first year that "grilled" meant thrown on a flattop with about a gallon of grease and some sort of "secret" seasoning to help it "slide" down. If I want grilled, or blackened, I do it at home the others just miss the mark for us. Fried? Well, I'm a sucker for a crust that I don't have to make I guess......
Old 02-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #13
ken56

OMG! The Gulf Pinks are the best shrimp I have had. I bought 3 5lb boxes to bring home, 50 bucks a box. Well worth it to have the fresh frozen shrimp on hand to grill, boil or fry at my pleasure. Trico Shrimp Co. has them wrapped and ready to travel. Right off the boat seafood, San Carlos Island on the way to Ft. Myers Beach. Good place.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #14
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
OMG! The Gulf Pinks are the best shrimp I have had. I bought 3 5lb boxes to bring home, 50 bucks a box. Well worth it to have the fresh frozen shrimp on hand to grill, boil or fry at my pleasure. Trico Shrimp Co. has them wrapped and ready to travel. Right off the boat seafood, San Carlos Island on the way to Ft. Myers Beach. Good place.

Shrimp - get them off the boat at home. All kinds of fresh sea food at home, much off my boat. When traveling or snowbird I look for steak and especially ribs. Best ribs ever are at BFE in Panama City Beach Florida. Best donuts are at Licking Good Donuts in Foley Alabama. Meatloaf at Ned's in St Augustine

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Shrimp? Buy 'em by the washtub for pennies on the pound at the docks in Cameron, LA. The shrimp boats radio in their "anticipated refrigerated truck needs" and once they dock, they fill those trucks. There's almost always several hundred pounds left over. Twenty boats times 500 pounds each makes for a bunch of washtubs full of shrimp that either get sold or go to waste, so they sell them for "beer and cigarette money". Last time we were there, we bought 2 number three washtubs (about 100 pounds each) for $25. Sure, you have to buy ice to get them home, but.....

As for eating prepared seafood, next time you're on I-55, headed north from Laplace, LA, get off in Manchac and try the seafood platter at Middendorf's. Their fried catfish platter is good too, but you won't have room for dessert with either platter. There's a campground in Hammond, just about 15 miles north of Manchac, so when you find yourself no longer fitting under the seatbelt, no need to go any further than Hammond.

And if you're brave and have a taste for a platter of softshell crabs, There's a bar on the wharf in Ponchatoula that sells them on old fashioned Dixie beer trays, last ones I had were $6 a dozen. Complete with Louisiana hot sauce and lemon.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

OK, OK Stop! This stuff about the places in LA (which I love) has me revamping my plans for the way home. I still have 4-5 lbs before I hit that 20lb. threshold (and thinking about LA I might go 25). NEW places and NEW food....and 4-5lbs to gain?? Gotta go I'm thinkin....and as a previous poster said....I can dump this big belt and go with suspenders!!!

Edit: Shrimp. We used to go to Port Aransas/Pass TX and run the shrimp boat docks to get shrimp off the boat to bring back to SE NM and W TX. Found a little place called Shorty's late one evening. Her husband was still out on the boat and said he would be in in a while _ didn't have much of a catch. We said we would wait and buy it all. We sat on some wooden chairs drinking beer with the wife for a long time and finally Shorty got in. Unloaded the boat into some big wash tubs and said take it all for $2 a pound. Extra large, large, med and salad shrimp....about 50-60lbs. In it were a bunch of crabs that were thrown in as well. Super eating, super time and super memory.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're planning to hit Middendorf's for lunch, you can head across the Mississippi river west of Hammond, take US1 to LeCompte and be at Lea's Lunchroom for dessert. Best damn pies in all of Louisiana. Then, if it's the weekend, try a crawfish omlette at Swamp Daddy's Crawfish in Alexandria the next morning. If that doesn't get you "over the top" then not much will ... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds great. My daughter in law (ex and love her dearly) lives in LeCompte but haven't spent a lot of time eating out there. Her mom and stepdad have a ranch there and always put on a "spread".
Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 AM   #19
notanlines

Here we are, stuck in the culinary dregs of Clewiston, Florida and y'all are chatting up Louisiana cuisine. I feel like I'm being punished.
If you plan on stopping at Middendorf's, keep in mind they are closed Monday and Tuesday, and will be SWAMPED after church on Sunday. Brenda recommends their turtle soup, made in house, and if a first timer, be sure to try the thin-fried catfish. It really is their signature dish.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:42 AM   #20
whcarr

A China bomb belt! Now that's funny! Life is good.
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote