Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
tommy_z

Thousand Trails parks network

I learned about this membership network, and it looks good to me. Anyone have experienced opinions on it?

https://www.thousandtrails.com
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
fourfourto

I got 30 nights free camping with purchase of camper 5/2016.
used 21 nights within the year at different campgrounds .
all I went to were good.
I think they are mostly east coast and west coast, nothing in the mid west.

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:46 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Google it and you will find many people selling their membership and many complaints. Like anything else people have varied opinions. We've stayed at a couple in the Mid Atlantic region and was not impressed with the campgrounds for the money. JMHO YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
travelin texans

For the price of their annual membership you can stay a lot of nights a year at much nicer parks. Or as mentioned find one for sale from someone else & save. Personally I'd have to pass!!
If you looking to save $$ join Passport America, we didn't have good luck with PA, but most do & MUCH cheaper than TT.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
Hblick48

We have both Passport America and Thousand Trails. Like them both, but they are very different. PA is strictly a discount of 50% from regular rate. Just completed 3 month trip, and used quite often.

Thousand Trails has many different types of memberships. Ours is a "zone pass" that allows unlimited stays at their parks in your zone. Price is $450 per year. Additional zones are $49. Used it for about 40 nights during the year, so it ran about $12.50 per night. There are restrictions on going park to park (4 day max at each park). Maximum stay is 2 weeks at one park. You then have to stay out for 7 days before you can go again.

Ones for sale as mentioned by flybouy are less restrictive, but you have to purchase membership and also pay annual fees.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:08 AM   #6
Canonman

Our kids have a TT membership. We've stayed at a couple of their (TT) campgrounds on family get togethers. I'd much rather stay in a Forest Service, National Park or State Park campground. TT seems crowded with little or no real space between campers. Overused and under maintained in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3123.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	19584  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

There are several Thousand Trails campgrounds in Texas. There is one about 6-7 miles from where I live in Lakehills on Medina Lake and I know there is another in Conroe. The price they charge is worth it if you camp frequently and stay at TT campgrounds pretty much exclusively. We don't camp this way but like to try many different camp grounds. As a Texan who will likely travel in Texas, check this site out:
https://texascampgrounds.com/free-camping-guide/
The free camping guide also includes a member card that gives you a discount at parks that are in the guide. We are also members of Passport America and have saved hundreds of dollars a year using their member benefit. They have a map of participating campgrounds on their site and you can see if joining makes sense to you. The 50 percent savings are typically restricted to a couple nights and campgrounds don't allow a discount on holidays and such. That suits our camping style but perhaps is not for everyone.

Good Sam Club is owned by Camping World has has more parks participating than Passport America but costs a bit more to join. They also offer other things with a membership. Here is a list of parks in Texas that participate; check their other "benefits" to see if these make sense. rv.net is owned by this bunch and you can read comments on the other benefits.

As you can see, there is no one right answer to which camping discount club/group is right for anyone.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote