Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
RLM5150

current draw from various detectors

While trying to determine what I want for new batteries for boon docking I have been trying to document my 12v needs and determine the rated current draw for each of those devices. What no one seems to mention in the various examples is the draw from the propane detector, CO2 detector, smoke detector. These obviously have a fair amount of draw since they can drain a cheap battery in a week or so. Does anyone have sample current draw information for these? If not I will write down the model numbers next time I am at the camper. I was hoping someone might have the common ratings for these I could use for calculations.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Your propane detector is the only sensor from the 3 examples that you included that draws from your 12v system. It is hard-wired into the system. The other 2 - smoke and CO2- are almost always battery operated (usually type AA and 9v) and therefore don't result in any battery drain.

You may be able to find the specs and current draw on the propane detector back or cover or else in the brochure that probably came with it. There are a number of different types/brands and may have different DC requirements - depending upon make and model.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

current draw from various detectors

Just had an amp gauge hooked up trying to find a short. Propane detector was drawing 0.3A-Safe-T-Alert brand.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
RLM5150

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I'll grab the specifics off of mine next time I'm at the camper. In the meantime I at least have a good value I can use that can be adjusted if necessary.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:29 AM   #5
Lee

Hi,

On a side note, the stereo (at least on mine) is also always powered on.... probably to maintain the correct time and for remembering stored radio channels. Anyway, since all I do in Dry camp, I installed an "On/Off" switch to the radio to further decrease current draw. Besides, at night the bright blue back light of the stereo was keeping me up at night ;-)

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote