Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
pusher24

Which jacks to use for Directv ?!?!?!

I purchased the King DirecTv satellite dish last year. When I hook it up, there are two coax jacks outside by the water connection, and behind the TV in the living room.

When using the regular antenna on the roof, only the top jack behind the TV will work.

I've tried every combination of connections between outside and inside, and still can't get it to work. I also turned off the Booster when trying to hook this up.

Any thoughts??
pusher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Which jacks to use for Directv ?!?!?!

First off I have to ask: you do have a receiver?

Satellite will be completely separate from roof antenna and park cable.

Outside if you have 2 coax in, one. Should say cable and the other Sat. Run coax from the dish to SAT in, at the TV use the OTHER out. Not the one for roof antenna/cable. Out to receiver SAT IN...out to TV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
pusher24

Hey Chuckster - yes, I brought a receiver with me. Unfortunately, there isn't any type of labeling showing Satellite and Cable. Same with the wall-mount jacks inside - two of them, but no labeling.

God how I wish things were a little more simple! Once it's figured out, I'm definitely going to label the jacks - even for the next owner!
pusher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok, a couple of ways to decipher. If you can get the booster plate off, the back side will have molded labels on it. The antenna and park cable usually are attached to the board and the satellite is separate.

Ok now for a longer way. You will need a piece of coax and a barrel connector as long as your dish has 2 coax outs. There should be a primary and a secondary. The secondary should have a "cap" on it and if you take it off it looked like a coax end with the center signal wire in it.
Take the coax and attach it to the connection OUTSIDE, and then using the barrel connector, put the cap on the end. Go inside and attach a short coax the the suspected outlet. Measure using an Ohm meter and you should see 75Ohms. Then simply remove the cap outside and measure again. It should be an open circuit.

There are coax testers, I have one, that will tell you a few different things. Big box stores have them and contain instructions for identifying what's what. Not sure the cost as I bought a high end testing test.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
vantage32fls

Had similar issue, although mine was labeled at outside for Satillite prep and other cable. Pulled out satillite jack outside had orange cable pulled radio / antenna and the orange ran into the Jensen booster.unhooked orange installed another jack outlet and it worked. I assume that with the booster and splitter with the 12volt power was the problem.

Tom & Sue
Keystone Vantage 32fls
2019 RAM CC 8' bed SRW 4x4 6.7 HO w/Aisin
15k Curt Tru-Trac Trunnion
vantage32fls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks