Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
hdrolling

TV & Mounts help after break in....

So our 2015 Raptor 332TS was broke into and all the TV's and brackets were taken.

Our repair guy said Keystone gets their TV mounts from other sources.

I've been looking at trekwood and they have mounts but no pictures, does anyone with a Raptor know if your mounts have names or parts numbers on them so I can order them.

I have the 46" Tv in the living room, 32" in the bedroom and a detachable 19" in the garage mounted on the wall not up above on the loft.

Also, as far as Tv's Ive read some posts that say you need camper specific Tv's?

Is there any such thing, I've never heard of a TV designed to handle being shook and bumped while traveling down the road?

The 46" Tv is listed on treckwoods site but they want over $2000 for a standard 1080p flat-screen. I could get a 4K for half that at any electronics store I would think.

So are the Tv's just a plain Tv I can go to best buy and pick up or do I need to order a camper specific type?

If anyone had pictures of the three different mounts or better yet a link of where I could order them that would be extremely helpful.

My new doors should be here in a few days so I need to get this stuff ordered so my repair guy can get it all done at once.

Thanks

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

First off, sorry you got violated. Thiefs are about the lowest form of scum.

Anyway, having worked on several different lines of a RV's, I can't say there is any specific RV television. We have changed/added lots of them without any reports of failures so I would say get what you want. As for mounts, there are a lot of different brands and styles. If someone with your model chimes in that's great, if not Amazon might be a good source.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

Sorry to read this. There are some manufacturers that make 12 volt TV's but I don't see many of them around; mainly Lance's IIRC. For replacement TV's, get one that is as light as possible and meets your needs. The mount is important; it needs to have some locking mechanism to keep it from moving while traveling. My previous trailer had a strap that went from the top to the bottom. I replaced that with a Mo/Ryde arm that locks.

Edit: you should check with the manufacturer about the mount requirements if you can't tell from where the old one was attached. Some campers have a square plate behind the plywood, some may require attaching to studs, etc.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:05 AM   #4
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
First off, sorry you got violated. Thiefs are about the lowest form of scum.

Anyway, having worked on several different lines of a RV's, I can't say there is any specific RV television. We have changed/added lots of them without any reports of failures so I would say get what you want. As for mounts, there are a lot of different brands and styles. If someone with your model chimes in that's great, if not Amazon might be a good source.
I didn't think so but want to be sure.

While looking on line there is a price difference between the different weights of the Tv's, is there a recommended weight to try to stay under for RV walls or would that depend on the bracket used?

The 46" OEM Tv bracket pulled from the wall and and was able to angle so I'm guessing that would add to the weight of the TV putting stress on the wall paneling.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-24-2017, 06:06 AM   #5
canesfan

Sorry about your misfortune. Sux! I'll look at my mounts later today if I get a chance and see if I can get pictures. But I would really just go to Amazon and pick the style mounts you want. As for the TVs, I have never heard of an RV specific TV. I used to manage an electronics boutique that sold all kinds of "specialized" TVs.

My TV in the living room has a bungee cord (actually all 3 do) holding it in place for travel, but you can also find locking mounts, like the one in the garage.

I'd look at weights as part of the deciding factor on choosing TVs.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
hdrolling

Looking up the spec for the 46" Tv that came with the camper it weighed 26.5lbs without the mount.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Some campers have a square plate behind the plywood, some may require attaching to studs, etc.
These mounts just secured to the wall so I'm guessing any mount that fits the size TV will work.

The bedroom pretty much needs a 32" (or smaller) because that's the size of the opening.

The garage I'm debating on going bigger than 19", mainly because there are no quality 19" Tv made now a days it seems. I also use the detachable mount in the garage to bring that Tv outside and hang it from the mount in my storage.

I was thinking 19" because that's the biggest I can go and have the Tv still retract and fit inside the storage but I never leave it there so it doesn't matter.

Now I'm looking at 46" Tv's and they don't really get made now as well, so I'm thinking I could get away with at least a 48" 4K and still be able to get to the stairs on either side without running into it.

Here's the 46" pre-stolen and the wall now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10523564_10153238076180786_8890139054841230625_n.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	12071   Click image for larger version

Name:	16865005_10154966212675786_7388259542745973869_n.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	12072  

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-24-2017, 07:22 AM   #8
canesfan

The mounts secure to the wall, but most of the walls are hollow. They either have to mount to a stud or a backing plate installed in the wall just for that purpose. That is why in a lot of units that don't have a TV installed you will see a sticker that says "mount TV here". I would try to keep the mounts where the old ones were.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
The mounts secure to the wall, but most of the walls are hollow. They either have to mount to a stud or a backing plate installed in the wall just for that purpose. That is why in a lot of units that don't have a TV installed you will see a sticker that says "mount TV here". I would try to keep the mounts where the old ones were.
I would have to get into the storage and look behind were the TV was mounted to see if anything fell, but from the picture I posted where the TV's were ripped from the wall it looked like the mount was just attached to the hollow wall.

I would think if the TV was attached to a back plate or a stud that more damage would have been done to the wall?

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

With the number of screw holes, it may have been hollow wall but that would be rare. Just press on the wall in the center and you'll be able to feel if there is a backing board. It could be that the pickers were nice enough to use a screwdriver because they wanted the mount too.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
With the number of screw holes, it may have been hollow wall but that would be rare. Just press on the wall in the center and you'll be able to feel if there is a backing board. It could be that the pickers were nice enough to use a screwdriver because they wanted the mount too.
I need to drive out and check, I never thought of that.......

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
canesfan

When I was looking at the picture I thought how minimal the damage was and that maybe they did use a screwdriver. It seems if they just ripped it off the wall there would be more damage than that. I also don't think, even with that number of screws, that it was just screwed into a hollow wall that probably is, what, maybe 1/16" thick? 26 lbs of TV, plus mount, bouncing down the road? I could be wrong, but... Hopefully the backing board is either screwed into studs or glued to the wall so that it is still there and didn't just fall off when they took the screws out. Not sure how they mount them. But yeah, just push on the wall a little, you'll be able to see and/or feel the wall move where it's hollow.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
hdrolling

Here is a couple more pics, one of the living room and one of the bedroom. Luckily the garage still has the detachable bracket, just not the bracket that attaches to the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8143.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	12073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8121.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	12074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8109.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	12075  

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

If I was to bet, I'd say they used driver to remove screws. Garage probably lifted off real easy so they left the wall portion

Old 03-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I assume the concern about weight is that its hanging off the support attached to the wall acting as a lever. As you bounce down the road that say 25 lb will be amplified at the bracket to wall connection.

Here is a thought, I would maximize the TV size that would fit in that existing opening, buy a bracket that fits the TV which I assume you would want one that swivels left and right. I see a shelf there so I would position the bottom of the TV either on or very close to that shelf thereby minimizing the possible up down motion which will get amplified by the bracket as you bounce down the road. Then with the mount on the TV mark the holes on the wall.

Like canesfan said when TVs are not supplied with the rig a sticker is placed in that approximate area stating mount here. I assume that marked area is a pretty big area that they provide. In other words specific screw pattern is not indicated.

As far as RV TVs I never heard of any other than the general 12VDC ones that could be considered that.

We had some posts in the past on this subject and if I recall correctly it was a Raptor member who's rig had no mount/TV in the garage and he wanted to add one. May want to try a search. I know there were bracket numbers exchanged

ADDED here is one http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...raptor+bracket
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #16
suddensam

Very sorry to see that you have to deal with this.

I've got the same model year 332TS so I can take some pictures of my mounts and TVs and try to get model numbers if visible later tonight. I'm going off memory but I'm pretty sure the living room TV in mine is a 50" may even be a 55".

Sam
Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #17
canesfan

Paraptor, wow, that thread about the garage mount was a loooong time ago. Your memory isn't completely shot. I remember I took pictures of mine and posted them. So find that thread and that will answer one question.

The idea of mounting it so the bottom rests on the lip, one of my previous rigs was like that. It had a little "cushion" between the lip and the TV for it to "sit" on that provided extra support. It was actually a good idea and didn't look bad at all.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #18
canesfan

Found it, no pictures of the arm though but a picture of the wall mount http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=15974

The garage mount in mine = Moview MS1042 by Ramco Engineering.

But when I was searching for the thread I ran across some others that used a different style/brand. So not sure. Some others, the bracket that the arm slid into was more of a V slot than the keyhole slots like mine. Mine has a "Strap" hanging from the arm that you pull down to release the locking mechanism if that helps.

edit - the link Paraptor posted above has the V shaped mount also.

Edit - here's another http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=15889 with a partial picture of the arm.

Paraptor, do your mounts "fold" or do you have to take them off for traveling???
Old 03-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #19
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

canesfan; Thanks for pulling up more references, there were a couple out there. Not sure if the OP is around at the moment??

YES I do have spurts of recall every now and then, now if fingers can move better so I can finger pick(old form of typing) faster By the time I get a post typed and submit it ....... topic has been changed At least fingers still move

Again thanks
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #20
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Found it, no pictures of the arm though though http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=15974

The garage mount in mine = Moview MS1042 by Ramco Engineering.

But when I was searching for the thread I ran across some others that used a different style/brand. So not sure. Some others, the bracket that the arm slid into was more of a V slot than the keyhole slots like mine. Mine has a "Strap" hanging from the arm that you pull down to release the locking mechanism if that helps.

Edit - here's another http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=15889 with a partial picture of the arm.

Paraptor, do your mounts "fold" or do you have to take them off for traveling???

That's what I was looking for thanks!!!! Looking at the pics I would guess my other two mounts are made by the same place I just need to search through and find the right ones.

I've been reading through and searching threads since 0830 this morning, pretty frustrating when you can't find what your searching for. That's why I started a thread.

As for mounting the TV as low as possible the issue would be I have a sound bar under the TV and when its closed up the TV has to sit above the sound bar.

Retired Army, 22yrs