Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Mikendebbie

Sat connection not working?

We have a 2017 Laredo 330RL travel trailer. Docking station at rear of trailer has cable connection and satellite connection. I have Dish tailgater. I have tested both connections using park cable to verify that signal gets thru to both TVs (antenna booster is off and both connections are good for cable)- however when I hook tailgater to satellite connection - nothing works. It's like the signal between Dish black box and the tailgater does not have enough "umphf" to connect. Black box gives multiple error messages.

I have run a dedicated coax thru the outdoor kitchen to connect to direct to the black box and everything works. Basically I have a solution using the dirct cable connection, but I have to roll up cable and stuff it into the outdoor kitchen. I am bummed that I can't use the built-in for Dish. Any ideas what might solve the issue or increase the "umphf" of the signal (sorry for being so technical!)
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
cardinal96ss

Hopefully someone with that model can help you out.
For what it's worth- My rig is 11 years older than yours, but I had to reconfigure my coax routing to get the TVs to function properly. Found that the cable connection label in the docking station really didn't mean anything. This tool that I found at Home Depot has been well worth it's $30 cost ( Klein Tools VDV Coaxial Explorer Plus Tester
Model# VDV512-058)
With my Dish network connections having a splitter behind the docking station between the antenna and the Dish box was the culprit. I also got tired of running a coax out to the antenna, so I put my Tailgater on the roof, ran the coax into the convenience center behind the TV, and directly into the Dish box. Since there is only DW and I, and since we watch TV together I just ran the box HDMI output into a 3-way HD splitter, and HDMI cable to the LR, bedroom and basement for outside viewing.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Sat connection not working?

I wonder if the coax got switched. I've seen it a few times where the sat line was hooked to the cable in and vise versa.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Question

As stated you need to start by making sure you are connected to the ends of the same cable meaning satellite connector out side is same cable marked inside as satellite. Think you said you did determine continuity by plugging campsite cable service to the satellite connector outside and TV inside to the satellite connector. If that worked as I think you said it did, you have continuity. GOOD
But those same two connectors did not work with the dish replacing Camp site cable source and dish box replacing TV, HDMI box to TV

Also said that when you ran a separate cable from outside dish to Dish Box it worked? What type was this cable RG6 ??

If I recall thought that cable wiring where RG6 for the satellite run and RG 59 for cable/antenna runs. Thought there was a post a while back that Dish did not work on a RG59 cable, Basically that trailer was wired both runs with RG59. Just a thought since you had it working with your new cable which these days probably would be RG6 cable. Just a thought things a little slow on the forum. Need to start a new thread "Can my xx TV PULL my yyy trailer",
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Sat needs RG6, antenna/park cable can use RG59. Also antenna/cable can operate through splitters. In RV applications, the splitters used will not allow sat signal.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:50 AM   #6
Mikendebbie

I checked all the rolls of cable I keep in the RV and it is all RG6. It is most likely a splitter hidden somewhere in the walls that is the culprit. With this RV being so new - DW does not want me digging around in the walls, but I will study the situation to see if any access is provided. Thankyou all for the information and help!!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #7
cardinal96ss

Could it be that the whole RV is wired with RG59 and not RG6? If so you may need to rewire a bit. That could be as easy as disconnecting the coax from the satellite connection at the docking station, inline connecting a RG6 to it and pulling it thru to the convenience center. Granted you may have to cross fingers and toes and hold your mouth just right but it could work.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I checked all the rolls of cable I keep in the RV and it is all RG6. It is most likely a splitter hidden somewhere in the walls that is the culprit. With this RV being so new - DW does not want me digging around in the walls, but I will study the situation to see if any access is provided. Thankyou all for the information and help!!
I am going to assume you followed my logic in a previous post. Therefore Wiring in your unit is either RG59 and your box/satellite dish is not compatible with it or there is a splitter in that line and again your system is not compatible with a splitter. Not sure about this one?

Since we can not see in the walls, at least not me, if there is a splitter in that line?, then it has to split to somewhere. . Are there output Jacks that you have either not tested or accounted for? I would think if answer is NO, then there is no splitter leaving one to believe it is a straight shot from convenience center to TV location thereby leaving that single cable run in question. On either end can you remove the plate and get a good look at the actual cable?

Added: As stated if a straight shot using and inline connector to connect old and new and then pull it through. Only concern after seeing how these are wired at the factory who knows how these runs are routed ????
Old 02-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

All the coax runs and splitters should be visible in the underbelly, or in a fiver, behind the wall in the basement.

This simple tool can help you troubleshoot:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-A...Meter/50278121

I have a higher end tester ( shop has this one), and it works good. IF there is a splitter in-line the tester wont work, again an easy test.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
Mikendebbie

At this point we only need to watch dish on the main living room TV (since I only have one black box). This weekend I will see if I can identify the internal coax they used and maybe try to find the splitter.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
At this point we only need to watch dish on the main living room TV (since I only have one black box). This weekend I will see if I can identify the internal coax they used and maybe try to find the splitter.
If there is a splitter it has to split to somewhere ?? any connections not accounted for ?? No extra connections very good chance no splitter

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
If you only have 1 SAT in, and two TV's, look at the second TV outlet. If it only has 1 coax out then it wasn't wired for SAT. My trailer only has the second coax for SAT to the main TV. On ALL units that I have seen with SAT to more than 1 TV have separate SAT in's.

If you want to use SAT in the bedroom, you will have to run another coax and change the outlet plate. If you decide to use a splitter at the SAT in, make sure you get a splitter that is compatible with SAT signal ( Bi directional)

https://www.amazon.com/BAMF-2-Way-Sp...ignal+splitter

Old 04-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #13
Robh

Mike, same model as yours and same problem. Here is what we did.
We did check the rear docking station at both sat and cable hookups, no luck. Ran direct like you and worked fine. Went to Lowes and got the circuit tester. Nothing made sense, got green flashing light and two red lights. Reversed wiring and miswire.

We were told by the factory customer service that we had to remove the jumper wire to use satellite. The wire was suppose to be located at the "living area tv".
They showed the jumper in the same location as the power booster for the antenna. For ours that was in the front bedroom tv area. They showed 3 outlet hookups. One for antenna, one for satellite and one for cable. The jumper they showed was a 6" cable going from cable to satellite outlets.

We only have two outlets at the antenna booster. So where and what was the jumper if there was not a third outlet. Here is what we found.

There were two one way splitters under the outside tv in the outside kitchen. One was wired wrong as it had the outside outlet going to the source side of one of the splitters. ( the splitters are hidden in the compartment under the tv and next to the drawer. ) we tested those connections but still came up with either nothing on tester or the same results as before. So we still have not found where the outside dock station connectors go. We head to the bedroom and pull down the two connectors and cover plate. Omg, a ton of connectors and wires were stuffed up there. BUT we found the same color cable (rust color) as was coming from the dock station. (We pulled off the cover to where the water pump is in the living area next to the sleeper sofa to see the cables coming from the outside docking station. )

There were splitters found up by rust colored cables that were two way but still not wired correctly. We tested those wires and got a steady green light one the one that went directly to the outside dock station. We then found and tested good the rust colored cable that went to the living room tv. So we decided to just bypass the two way connector and put a barrel connector from the outside rust colored cable to the living room connector. BINGO, we can now have the satellite hooked up outside and view from the living room area!!

Keystone really needs to train those techs as to how splitters work and should be wired.

Btw, we are on the road, basically full timing it so we are now where near where we bought it. I know we can take it to other repair sites but this was something that doesn't take a genius to figure out and get up and running.

I know this was long but that's what it took for us to figure it out.
Robh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:23 AM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Since you changed the wiring configuration to get the satellite to work, if you have not I would go back and check the antenna and cable functions to ensure they are still working.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-08-2017, 04:52 AM   #15
Robh

We did , antenna works fine everywhere. Cable does not but that's from the use of one way splitters and being wired wrong. Simple fix, another day.
Robh is offline   Reply With Quote